PS vita: Success or failure.

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul C

Postby Paul C » December 26th, 2011, 5:23 pm

If I'm not mistaken, those who think the Vita's touch controls are fairly conventional are not very familiar with the Vita.  I think they could end up being quite innovative if used properly.  I'm not taking sides, I just am not sure everybody here knows what they are talking about enough to have an opinion...

micky1

Postby micky1 » December 29th, 2011, 11:44 am

I don't get why some people seems to think everyone likes the same arcade like fast games on portables. Personally i enjoy console like games just as much. 

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » December 29th, 2011, 8:00 pm

The fact is it's too early to tell whether it will succeed or fail. However, the pricing of the games and the system, the timing of is' release, that it's been hacked, and that the U.S. economy sucks right now doesn't help.

The fact that the 3DS is the sh*t doesn't help either. Mario's back!

Also, a new PS3 with a game or two runs for the same price as the Vita, and already has a great library of games. Kind of a no-brainer if you ask me.

Guy

Postby Guy » December 31st, 2011, 7:05 pm

The Vita is a powerful handheld system. I think it has four core CPU! Is it as powerful as the PS3? After they get the bugs out I will buy one.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 1st, 2012, 3:34 am

[QUOTE=Paul C][QUOTE=Luke]You've obviously never heard of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy then. Or the 2 God of War games on the PSP. They're all excellent[/QUOTE]

I don't think the core of the debate is whether or not the games are good, it's how well-suited they are for portable play.
[/QUOTE]

They're also handheld game systems. They're not just meant for use while on the go when you have a few minutes here and there for a game. I think there's room for console style games here just like on any portable.

Something like Link to the Past on the GBA is certainly not portable friendly since it's not a quick pick up and play experience where you can spend 5 minutes here and there. But did it make for a great handheld game?

I think so.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » January 1st, 2012, 6:12 am

Vita sales have dropped 78% in Japan.  In other words: it's tanking.  Forbes even says that Sony could be in serious danger.

I hate to say I told you so, Sony.  Honestly, what were they thinking with the horrible timing, horrible pricing, and horribly easy-to-hack hardware?  I predict that the system will bomb even worse when it's released - in February (WTF!?) - across the rest of the globe.

Luke

Postby Luke » January 1st, 2012, 1:50 pm

@ Moon metropolis

Sony only shipped so many units of the Vita (500k I think?). It's not tanking, it sold very well in its first week it became available and now is difficult to find on store shelves.

The same thing happened with the PS2. And in case you've forgotten, the PS2 is the best-selling video game system of all-time!

Just wait till the U.S. launch. Everything will be fine

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » January 1st, 2012, 5:06 pm

Will the Vita be able to play psp games? I still don't have a PSP. I'm planning on getting one once the Vita is out. If the Vita can play PSP games then maybe I'll just get the Vita.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 1st, 2012, 5:50 pm

I suppose you can transfer downloaded PSP games
to the PS Vita for free, maybe someone else can confirm
this. What I know for sure however, there's a procedure
to transfer UMD games to the Vita, but for a fee! In other
words, the system is potentially fully backwards compatible,
but, at least in some cases, this feature isn't actually free.
I don't personnally care, it's not like I'm planning to sell any
of my PSPs anyways, but this is still a bad marketing decision.
Imagine paying money to play PSONE games on a PS2 for instance,
and you'll see what I'm getting at.

Sony already disappointed a lot of us with the way they handled PS2 retrocompatibility with the PS3, looks like it's just not an important feature in their eyes: they're now doing their best to ensure this PS Vita feature is only
used marginally. I'm very interested with this system, but I don't like this aspect
of their strategy.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 1st, 2012, 6:59 pm

Your PSP downloads are fully playable on the Vita through a PSP emulator (UMD downloads, PSP Minis, arcade games, Neo Geo & TG16 downloads, PSOne downloads, and whatever else I missed). Your UMD's aren't fully playable on the Vita for obvious reasons (No UMD drive).

For qualifying games where the game is available on PSN and all of the parties have agreed to this program (A pretty small slice of available UMD games), you can download a transfer app to your PSP and insert your UMD and it will reduce the price of it from the PSN store for your account to download. They're charging a fee to appease publishers that otherwise wouldn't allow it (Most of which appear to be set to charge too much, unlike the smaller fee Sony published games will carry), to cover server cost, and to discourage piracy (If they made it too good of a deal, people would start sharing their UMD's enmasse to take advantage of it).

It's a way to ease UMD owners into the new system by being able to get their games in a different form on the new system for a discounted price. It's nice it's there, although it appears to be of rather limited utility (Limited selection and I suspect most people very interested in PSP downloads have already bought what they wanted off of PSN). But it's hardly something to criticise them over.

It would be like criticizing Nintendo for not providing a way for us to authenticate our NES cartridges so we could get the corresponding Virtual Console download running that code via emulation for free. They're doing something rather unprecedented here that they're hardly obligated to do.

It's better than nothing, which they could easily and fairly have done. I can only think of one game in UMD form that I'll do this with (Gran Turismo) and already have every other download I'd want thanks to the Go (I liked being able to use PS3 controllers and tv/out, so I'm a Go owner with a decent amount of downloads tied to my account).

Return to “Video Games General”