OFFICIAL NEW SITE DESIGN THREAD

General and high profile video game topics.
Tim Possible

Postby Tim Possible » February 3rd, 2012, 8:36 am

One thing is under "High Score Challenge", it has the old wanted/for sale section instead of the scores that were posted. This will need to be fixed.

Tim Possible

Postby Tim Possible » February 3rd, 2012, 8:44 am

Please note this is only on the dropdown on the main page. If you click "All Boards" on the main page then the High Score Challenge at the bottom actually works correctly. Weird

Cris

Postby Cris » February 3rd, 2012, 8:46 am

It looks good.

Perhaps you can organize the dropdown by generation, like here:

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » February 3rd, 2012, 9:22 am

[QUOTE=Luke]*Shrug* It doesn't look much different to me. What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

You may need to hit "refresh" when you bring-up the main page.  It didn't automatically load the new version when I first came to it on my one PC.

You should notice a difference... 

- Mark

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » February 3rd, 2012, 9:38 am

Naturally, it'll take a little adjustment, but overall I think it's looks great.  Here's a few of my minor suggestions:

1.  To keep with the old look, I think green borders would be much better than blue.

2.  I know you have the search icon, and now the search tab under the "Main" section, but I still think it would help new visitors to have a search icon on the homepage.

3a.  I wish it was more "widescreen" rather than having the bars on the two sides.  
3b.  I'd love to see the bar on the left filled in with links to all of the consoles you have reviews for, just like the old design had.  Not only does this provide easier access than tabs, but it also immediately shows how impressive your review collection is to a new visitor.  

I say this because I know one of your goals is to constantly attract new visitors to the site-- as it should be.  That giant list you used to have DID attract new visitors-- because internet users have short attention spans, but they would see that giant list of consoles and go "damn, this guy must have a ton of reviews for all these old systems on here."  Tabs work great for long-times users.. but sorry, they do nothing to catch the eye of new visitors to help the site grow.

DrCruse1

Postby DrCruse1 » February 3rd, 2012, 9:47 am

I think the aesthetic is nice, but the functionality is lacking. It's really disconcerting navigating the site without the sidebar. Originally, I could just click on whatever console I wanted to go to from anywhere on the site. Now I have to scroll up to the top of the page and search through a bunch of drop down menus to find the right console, and I can't go straight from the forum to the reviews.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 3rd, 2012, 10:06 am

Looks great! I agree with changing Intellivision to the '80's to.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » February 3rd, 2012, 10:17 am

[QUOTE=Cris]Perhaps you can organize the dropdown by generation, like here:[/QUOTE]

I have to agree, that would make it a lot better

Paul C

Postby Paul C » February 3rd, 2012, 10:37 am

Hmmm... I definitely like the layout, and everything seems to have been efficiently compressed, but the colors and fonts and graphics look like a step backwards to me.  Seriously if you go from this style back to the old style the visuals would appear to have been streamlined and modernized in my opinion.

I have no problem with change, but for some reason the new design looks a little cheaper and more like any other plain ol' site than the old design did.  This reminds me of one of those fake sites that pops up with a bunch of links when you misspell the web address of the place you want to go.  Also, the column down the right side looks like it was glued on by an advertiser or something. 

Good layout, cheap looking style and visuals to me.  And that makes the site and the content therein appear less trustworthy, in my opinion...

Paul C

Postby Paul C » February 3rd, 2012, 10:43 am

Looking at it again, I think what I am turned off by is the plain looking blue block dividers, when before you had the cool looking green tube border that neatly curved around everything, which looked alot more polished.

Return to “Video Games General”