should I get a ps3 or xbox 360?

General and high profile video game topics.
Burk1

Postby Burk1 » February 12th, 2012, 2:51 pm

I have never payed either,except for playing kinect a little with my brother in law. It was really cool,and that's one thing that leans me towards the 360. I am not interested in the blue ray player. I may try a little online gaming,but not much if any. I tend to play by myself,and my kid is not yet 3, so he won't care. I think my wife would like kinect, I don't know much about the ps3 motion games. I like racing games, adventure games,hack n slash and love platformers and shmups. I do not tend to like sports games, or first person shooters unless they are unique or very good. I think I'd like bioshock,for example.
 So,based on that, what is the system to get? Take into consideration console durability, game choices, and motion control games. Please give your reason, not just fanboy choices. I would also appreciate  a few titles I might like based on my preferances, just so I can check them out.

a1

Postby a1 » February 12th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Based on your genre preferences, I'd say you would prefer the Ps3. They have nearly the same games, but the PS3 exclusives include the Ratchet and Clank games (platformers), the Uncharted series (adventure), aund God of War 3 (hack and slash, but very violent FYI). The main 360 exclusives are Halo and Gears (both shooters). My wife does like the kinect, though. I haven't played the move outside of store demos. Also, online is free on PS3, and 60 bucks a year on 360

DrCruse1

Postby DrCruse1 » February 12th, 2012, 8:54 pm

I would recommend PS3. Online is free, and it has more exclusives in genres that you said you liked. Online is free and the console has a history of being more reliable. It can also play PS1 games in HD (if you care about that sort of thing). The PS3 is still being supported by Sony, while Xbox 360 releases have all but dried up.

Cons for the PS3 include long game install times and occasionally worse ports for multi-platform games.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 12th, 2012, 9:10 pm

[QUOTE=DrCruse]The PS3 is still being supported by Sony, while Xbox 360 releases have all but dried up.
[/QUOTE]

The Xbox 360 is just as alive as the Playstation 3 is.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 13th, 2012, 2:46 am

I'd recommend the PS3 as well, based on your preferences. It is supposed to
be more reliable, though not indestructible, I'm on my second one myself. Finally,
the situation is very different from 2007: most games released on 360 and PS3 these days look pretty much the same. I often check "the Lens of Truth", a website Luke told us about once, they compare 360 and PS3 games thoroughly, and the results are interesting.
Beware of installs and loadings if you go that route, though!

Julio III

Postby Julio III » February 13th, 2012, 5:19 am

[QUOTE=Burk]I like racing games, adventure games,hack n slash and love platformers and shmups. I do not tend to like sports games, or first person shooters unless they are unique or very good.[/QUOTE]

I own both consoles so hopefully am unbiased. One thing to consider is the controller - do you like the dualshock design or do you like having the left analogue stick in a more comfortable place. Also, the PS3 has terrible triggers - so to play any racing games properly you need to buy these little plastic attachments.

For racing games its Forza and Project Gotham on the 360 versus Gran Turismo and Motorstorm on the PS3, the rest are all multiplatform. I'm a big Project Gotham fan so would plump for that, but it depends on your preferences.

If you want 2d shmups, then the only console to get is the 360. There is now an excellent selection of region-free bullet hell shooters, with only a few being region-locked to Japan.

As for platformers, do you want 2D or 3D? I think the Xbox is probably better for 2D but PS3 for 3D? And what do you mean by adventure games - story driven point n click style or tomb raider style?

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » February 13th, 2012, 3:37 pm

What 2D platformers are there? The only thing I have seen is Little big planet. Did you mean downloads? I really prefer physical media.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2012, 4:26 pm

I'm going to have to go with the Xbox 360.  Better controllers.  Faster loading.  Better on-line.  Bigger library.

The only thing the system lacks is durability, but hopefully Microsoft has solved that problem by now.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » February 13th, 2012, 5:12 pm

In this economy? I wouldn't purchase either one until these companies get their crap together, with their hardware and security issues. And definitely DON'T buy them used. If you continue to purchase this faulty hardware, they will continue to produce it. Nintendo makes pretty durable products, but I just like to sit down with a controller in my hand and play a game...

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 13th, 2012, 6:39 pm

The PS3 has been pretty reliable since day 1, although some early units seem to be giving up the ghost now (Just as some older Wii's seem to now be suffering from GPU damage in growing numbers). And Xbox 360's have been well built machines since the last revision or two of the original model and the slims don't seem to have any widespread issues. The situation has changed drastically since the first couple of years the system was on the market. The 360 has been fairly durable and reliable over the past three or four years (Like it should've been when it was released in late 2005). While nothing can erase that mistake, it's now in the past and 360's aren't the ticking time bomb they were back 5-6 years ago.

And I'm not aware of Microsoft having any security issues and Sony's issues, beyond keeping systems offline for several weeks, seems to have had a minimum impact on affected consumers and I doubt they will be as vulnerable as that again. Plus, you can easily utilize both without ever entering sensitive information like credit card information thanks to subscription and points cards (Never had my CC info in PSN and haven't on my Xbox Live account in a couple of years now, yet I've made many purchases on both and just resubscribed to Xbox Live). And there are lots of Wii games destined to be considered classics in the future with no motion control or very little motion control (Such as New Super Mario Bros. Wii, where you just use motion control for a couple of miscellaneous task). You can be a couch potato and still find lots of fun Wii games to play.

Return to “Video Games General”