Cinematic Platformers

General and high profile video game topics.
Silver_Fox1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Silver_Fox1 » February 25th, 2012, 4:27 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]Does Nosferatu on the SNES count? I have very faint memories of that game.[/QUOTE]I just read the "critics" review, and have to disagree with the description. The gameplay doesn't mimic Castlevania in any way, shape, or form. Unless you're talking about the castle setting, a few enemies, and the Vampire as the main villain? If thats the case then almost every horror-themed game is a Castlevania ripoff? This was more Prince of Persia than Castlevania, although it had a weird fighting engine. I remember the control being a bit slow, as ALL of these games are. Especially jumping and running. The animation takes over the control in these games, that's what differentiates them from a regular tight-controlling platformer. There is a delay in button-press to action on-screen, if that makes sense? Along with trial and error. You could say Tomb Raider followed this control formula as well, on the PS1. This game fits your cinematic-platformer description.

billydeethrilliams1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » February 26th, 2012, 8:18 am

Burk: Wild 9 is a 2.5d platformer. Oddly enough, I just happen to be playing this right now. A pretty decent game, it has that Shiny feel to it. Not as good as Earthworm Jim, but whatever. The one-liners suck though. "Wexcellent!"

Fingers dripping ink

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Fingers dripping ink » February 27th, 2012, 1:21 am

Moon Crystal for the Famicom is a superb cinematic platformer. A translation exists and everybody should play it.

porypowerhour

Cinematic Platformers

Postby porypowerhour » February 27th, 2012, 11:58 am

I agree with Moon 100% about Abe's Odyssey, it's really not that good.

Return to “Video Games General”