Cinematic Platformers

General and high profile video game topics.
billydeethrilliams1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » February 24th, 2012, 9:46 pm

You guys know what I'm talking about. Prince of Persia, Out of this World, Flashback, The first 2 Oddworld games, Heart of Darkness....

What do you guys think of these games, and does anyone know of any others?

The trial and error gameplay is tedious at times, but I'm always drawn into these types of games. I would love to see the Critic review some of these( I know he has reviewed a few).

Adamant1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Adamant1 » February 25th, 2012, 6:22 am

Karateka was the very first game made in this style. It's mostly fighting rather than platforming, but it served as heavy inspiration for Prince of Persia, which in turn inspired most of the other such games.

Adamant1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Adamant1 » February 25th, 2012, 6:30 am

Also, I forgot to mention that "Blackthorne" is another excellent game made in this style. One of the best, in fact - you're really missing out if you're not familiar with it.

ShadowAngel1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby ShadowAngel1 » February 25th, 2012, 6:48 am

[QUOTE=Adamant]Karateka was the very first game made in this style. It's mostly fighting rather than platforming, but it served as heavy inspiration for Prince of Persia, which in turn inspired most of the other such games.[/QUOTE]

Both games were created by the same guy, Jordan Mechner. So it's just natural, that they are graphically very similar. In fact Mechner created Karateka while in College and it was so successful that it financed the development of Prince of Persia.

There are a couple of other games like Blackthorne/Blackhawk (PC, SNES, GBA, Mac, Genesis 32X), the crappy Lester the Unlikely (SNES). There's also Heart of the Alien for Sega CD, it's the sequel to Out of this World and Generations Lost (Mega Drive/Genesis) which is also pretty similar in style of Gameplay.

A modern variant is Limbo, released last year for Xbox 360, PS3, PC, i disagree on the critics review and think it's a good game

MoonMetropolis

Cinematic Platformers

Postby MoonMetropolis » February 25th, 2012, 6:59 am

Weird Dreams is also an early cinematic platformer, and so is Impossible Mission.

One recent example is Limbo, which was absolutely terrific and one of the best platformers in recent memory.

I hate Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey, mainly because it's incredibly frustrating and not the slightest bit fun.  I WANT to like it, but I can't.

Another World is a classic, and still incredibly fresh and original to this very day.

Other cinematic platformers that come to mind are Blackthorne, Heart of the Alien, Lester the Unlikely, War of the Worlds, Project Firestart, and Iji.  Sadly, there aren't very many of these games.

billydeethrilliams1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby billydeethrilliams1 » February 25th, 2012, 8:25 am

Thanks for the replies guys. It's pretty sad that there were not many of these types of games made. I would love to see a fully-fleshed out version of this today(sorry I don't think Limbo counts, to me it was a regular platformer, just with a dark atmosphere).

Silver_Fox1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Silver_Fox1 » February 25th, 2012, 8:49 am

Does Nosferatu on the SNES count? I have very faint memories of that game.

Burk1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Burk1 » February 25th, 2012, 9:11 am

Wild 9 comes to mind.

Adamant1

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Adamant1 » February 25th, 2012, 11:05 am

[QUOTE=ShadowAngel][QUOTE=Adamant]Karateka was the very first game made in this style. It's mostly fighting rather than platforming, but it served as heavy inspiration for Prince of Persia, which in turn inspired most of the other such games.[/QUOTE]

Both games were created by the same guy, Jordan Mechner. So it's just natural, that they are graphically very similar. In fact Mechner created Karateka while in College and it was so successful that it financed the development of Prince of Persia. 

[/QUOTE]

...can you believe I actually forgot that? Ouch. Terribly embarassing.

Fingers dripping ink

Cinematic Platformers

Postby Fingers dripping ink » February 25th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Blackthorne is one of my favorite games of the Super Nintendo era. I've never played the 32X version. It has an extra world too.

MoonMetropolis: You should give Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus a try. Its updated save function makes the game much more manageable.

The two-game Sega CD release of Heart of the Alien/Out of This World (aka Another World) is a favorite of mine too.

Return to “Video Games General”