Site's New Look: One Month After

General and high profile video game topics.
ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » March 21st, 2012, 11:06 pm

The annoying thing are the decades. They are completely wrong.
The Genesis was released in 1988 in Japan and in 1989 in North America. It's an 80's system, in fact that what was the first Sega commercials were about: They were 16-Bit and a new generation while the Nintendo was 8-Bit.
The PC Engine was released in 1987 in Japan and in 1988 as the Turbografx16 in North America. Again, it's 80's and not 90's.
While the Intellivision was originally released in 1980 and not 1979. 1979 was just a small test market release limited to Fresno, California.

If we go by what the general audience thinks of the decade for a console, then i guess the Atari 2600 should be in the 80's section, because that's where it is generally put in but it's in the 70's (where it belongs), so i wonder why those other 2 consoles are misplaced. As it is now, there's no Rhyme or reason behind those categories

Also the Atari 7800 date is still wrong as it was originally released and sold in 1984, 1986 was the re-release date

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » March 22nd, 2012, 12:41 pm

I don't like this registering and sign-in crap now. You might as well use Vbulletin if you are going to do that garbage. Why do my posts still need approval if this site does regristration now? The next step will be hundreds of ADs plastered over every page and mass spammings. Good luck with the growth, I guess it was inevitable.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 22nd, 2012, 1:25 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]I don't like this registering and sign-in crap now. You might as well use Vbulletin if you are going to do that garbage. Why do my posts still need approval if this site does regristration now? The next step will be hundreds of ADs plastered over every page and mass spammings. Good luck with the growth, I guess it was inevitable. [/QUOTE]

Easy tiger.  You do realize you've answered your own question.  With mod approval there are no ADs plastered over every page with mass spammings.

Not sayin' just sayin'

LuckyMan1

Postby LuckyMan1 » April 12th, 2012, 8:14 pm

I'm getting used to the new look and it seems fine now. Like most, I love the big new banners, but I just noticed something I really don't like: the console pages.

When you click on a console link there are some pictures at the top, but no explanation that they take you to the review for the console pictured. I guess some may argue that it's self-explanatory, but new visitors may not know there is a review hidden there.

Also the console review pages feature the "star" background behind the text which is really hard on the eyes while scrolling down.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 12th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Luckyman - I really appreciate this kind of feedback!

I removed the "click here for system review" link from the system pages because I was trying to streamline things, but I agree I still need something to that effect.  If anybody has any good idea let me know.

As far as the stars go, sorry about that!  Those pages are supposed to have a solid black background.  I will fix it soon.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » April 12th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Here's something else I've noticed -- On each system's main page, the "sort grades" button seems to work fine, but when you click on "sort names" to return to the alphabetical game list, nothing happens. 

LuckyMan1

Postby LuckyMan1 » April 13th, 2012, 12:53 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Luckyman - I really appreciate this kind of feedback!

I removed the "click here for system review" link from the system pages because I was trying to streamline things, but I agree I still need something to that effect.  If anybody has any good idea let me know.

As far as the stars go, sorry about that!  Those pages are supposed to have a solid black background.  I will fix it soon.

[/QUOTE]

Sure thing, Dave!

I think it would look fine if you added a "Click Here For System Review" link underneath the console pics, just like the other review pics have.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Okay I fixed the starry backgrounds on the system review pages.  Also, I fixed the "sort by name" glitch.  I also moved the Dreamcast to the 2000's category, since it was only available for a few months in 1999.

Next week I will add those "click here for system review" links back in.

If anybody has any more suggestions please don't be shy.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » April 13th, 2012, 5:19 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I also moved the Dreamcast to the 2000's category, since it was only available for a few months in 1999.
[/QUOTE]

If that's the case, the Intellivision should be in the 1980's category.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2012, 8:04 pm

True, but I'm also trying to balance out the decades the best I can.  At least right now you have the systems in the same category as the systems they were competing with.  I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Return to “Video Games General”