What is the Scariest Game You've Ever Played?

General and high profile video game topics.
0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » March 11th, 2012, 3:03 am

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Intellivision)

I remember getting close to the dragon. I could hear him roaring off-screen, but couldn't see him. I tiptoe ever so closely....ahhhh ship! The dang things attacking me! I try to run & it chases me down & devours me. Before I know it the sad music plays showing me my burial site.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » March 11th, 2012, 7:12 am

Can't say I've ever been scared from a videogame, or a movie for that matter. I guess some of us grew up being scared of the real world around us. There are some atmospheric and horror-style games that I got into, but those have been named already. The Silent Hill games are weird, the Doom series had some good sound effects and such, and it's always fun to blast zombies(Resident Evil).

I will say Shadow of the Colossus had a pure "awe-factor" the first time I played it. Not scary but it gave a sense of amazement, especially in discovering and finishing off those behemoths. It actually felt like an accomplishment. Few games suck you into it's world such as this one.

I'm ignoring the Mario64 comments, that's just ridiculous.

TedE.Bear

Postby TedE.Bear » March 11th, 2012, 11:46 am

[QUOTE=0-Storm]Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Intellivision)

I remember getting close to the dragon. I could hear him roaring off-screen, but couldn't see him. I tiptoe ever so closely....ahhhh ship! The dang things attacking me! I try to run & it chases me down & devours me. Before I know it the sad music plays showing me my burial site.

[/QUOTE]

I like to turn up the volume LOUD to enhance the experience.  You know the Dragon (or snake) is nearby but it's still thrilling & scary once it attacks. 

Nearly 30 years later it's still a rush.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 11th, 2012, 7:31 pm

This will sound ridiculous, but... Bioshock 1 & 2.  It's the whispering of the splicers, the creepy 40's music, the dilapidated buildings, neon signs.  Honestly, I can't even put my finger on it, but both those games absolutely freak me out.  One of my most memorable experiences with a video game EVER is when I encountered a Big Daddy for the first time.  I was already freaked out by the game, so I was already getting down strategies for taking down enemies.  But I'd never seen a Big Daddy before.  It followed me down the stairs and I hid in an office behind a desk.  I listened while it lumbered around outside; it S-L-O-W-L-Y walked around outside the office.  I was completely cornered.  As an adult, I can't think of anything that made me feel more like a scared child than a Big Daddy.  Also, if you loot in apartments or rooms long enough, a splicer will come after you... but not quickly.  You'll here him/her talking to no one in particular.  You'll know he's there... but you can't pinpoint a location based on where the voice is coming from.  It's unsettling.

I realize Bioshock isn't really supposed to be a scary game and that makes me sound like a total wuss.  But games that ARE supposed to be scary rarely scare me.  I play Dead Space with the lights out by myself all the time.  I honestly don't find it scary at all.  Resident Evil series?  Same thing.  I'm weird like that, I guess.

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » March 11th, 2012, 9:55 pm

Yoshi's Story.  From the disturbing musical introduction, to constantly getting your dinosaurs high, its the scariest game ever.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 11th, 2012, 11:40 pm

JWK makes a good point about Bioshock.  It's not classic horror, but the intense atmosphere makes you feel very uneasy.

Personally I'd have to go with Silent Hill, followed by Resident Evil and Fatal Frame.  I'm referring to the originals in all three cases.  The sequels were scary, but you kind of knew what to expect.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » March 12th, 2012, 12:56 am

Games that really scared me were...

Silent Hill
Clock Tower: First Fear
Clock Tower
Siren
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Eternal Darkness (If only for the bathtub scene)
The Lurking Horror (It's what you can't see I guess)

I am sure there were more.  Video games are the only thing that can scare me these days.  Though certain movies can really disturb me, they don't really give me a fright.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » March 12th, 2012, 2:51 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]Clock Tower[/QUOTE]
The PS1 game, or the Super Famicom original?

IMO, games are scariest when you never really know what's going to happen next.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » March 12th, 2012, 2:54 am

Nevermind, I just remembered that the original Clock Tower was re-released as Clock Tower: The First Fear.

Back then, horror games never left Japan.  Due to the low-quality graphics of the time, they relied more on "mindf***" tricks to scare the player.

Return to “Video Games General”