Classic arcades making a comeback?

General and high profile video game topics.
Den1

Postby Den1 » July 14th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Next week, in my city (Columbus, Ohio), there's a business called 16-Bit Bar + Arcade opening.  It's going to have all classic games (check its Facebook page for a list) as well as a gaming-themed bar.  The location is in an increasingly hip section of the downtown area.  In addition, there's another arcade called Arcade Super Awesome that also has classic games only.  It's only open for private parties right now, but they plan to move into a public space this summer.

These will be the only two arcades in the city that have classic games  (apart from the random Ms. Pac-Man or Galaga at Dave & Busters or one of the local corporate go-kart/ball pit-type places).

Are classic arcades making a comeback in your city?  Or is this a local trend?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 14th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Nah, I think the combination of bars/arcades has been very helpful in keeping arcades alive. There are 2 places close to where I live that are bars and arcades. People apparently like playing games while intoxicated thus they have become quite popular (at least where I live).

Danvankleef1

Postby Danvankleef1 » July 15th, 2013, 10:28 am

Chicago has a bar called Emporium packed with arcade games and pinball machines, and it is actually in the middle of doubling its size.  Not too far from the city is an arcade called Galloping Ghost with somewhere between 200-300 arcade machines and you just pay a flat fee for the day.  In addition, there are numerous places in and around the city that buy and sell machines to both businesses and the public, and a number of the arcade games are decent prices.  I ended up getting Super Dodge Ball for $300 in great shape!  I hope the arcade trend keeps growing nationally, it sure seems popular out here.

Return to “Video Games General”