Life before the ESRB: Truly Hazardous Toys

General and high profile video game topics.
Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » October 11th, 2012, 11:49 am

Hello all.

Thought some of you may enjoy a trip down memory lane when toys were truly hazardous.  Hopefully it will spark a chuckle or two.  Feel free to share your thoughts or experiences here in this thread.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/blog/?p=988

Terry

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » October 11th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I wish all these were still around. I'd rather teach my kids how to use dangerous things with the required care than have them not exposed to things. I don't think kids know how to be careful these days because they are overprotected.

Lawn darts were fun by the way.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » October 11th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I agree sop - those were great times back in the day.  A couple of items that did not make the cut, but were favorites: cap \ dart-plunger guns and erecter sets.  Always fun getting those yearly tetanus shots

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 11th, 2012, 3:22 pm

That Atomic Energy Lab made me lament my youth -- I was born 30 years too late.

But boy what a mess someone could make of that!  And with the Geiger Counter an optional add-on, you might have to wait a generation to know exactly what kind of mess you actually made.

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » October 11th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Though it pains me to admit, I am old enough to have experienced most of these items with the exception of that junior nuclear kit.  The infamous Dr. Gilbert's Atomic Energy Lab was my father's suggestion.  He told me about a neighborhood kid that had one of these beasts set up in his family's garage.  He also let me know that he never ventured anywhere near that house.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » October 11th, 2012, 5:20 pm

I owned a few chemistry sets when I was younger, they mostly let you mix chemicals to change colors, still pretty cool though.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » October 12th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Kids aren't allowed to have swiss army knives anymore?
Now I feel old. Everyone had one when I was a kid (and as the article states, they were somewhat of a rite of passage. We didn't use them all that much, it was just important to own one. Made you feel more adult).

Return to “Video Games General”