VGC Forum's Taste in Hip Hop Music

General and high profile video game topics.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » January 10th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Note: Only for people who actually are fans of Hip Hop Music 

What Hip Hop do you guys listen to? I listen mostly to modern alternative hip hop. My favorite has to be Kid Cudi because he raps about things we can all relate to, he created his own genre, and his music is dope. Lupe Fiasco is another favorite of mine because of his amazing metaphors (his new album is lame though, but that's due to those Atlantic Records bastards). Others I love include Tyler the Creator (yes, I said it), Eminem, Wale, B.o.B., Mac Miller, Wiz Khalifa, Childish Gambino, Game, Asher Roth, Machine Gun Kelly, J.Cole, The Cool Kids, Gnarls Barkley, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Drake (I'm not afraid to admit it), etc.

I also enjoy 90's Rap (2Pac, Biggie, Nas, Snoop Doggy Dogg, and Outkast, though their 2000's stuff is also awesome), and anything that doesn't suck.

Most rap on the radio nowadays just plain sucks, and people assume it's real hip hop and they hate it. Truth be told, real rappers like Immortal Technique and Hopsin are out there with actual talent unlike fake rappers like Lil Wayne, Big Sean, Nicki Minaj, Soulja Boy, Flo Rida, Gucci Mane, and Waka Flocka Flame, who rap about the same things like sex, money, and drugs. I'm surprised people aren't sick of it. It's good dancing music, don't get me wrong, but other than that, I hate it. People need to listen to the underground way more. Luckily, many of my friends in high school (and me) do so.

What's yours?

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » January 11th, 2012, 4:15 am

Hip-hop is like wine - the older, the better.

With that said, most modern mainstream hip-hop is all about promoting ignorance, selling shoes, and inciting the poor to commit acts of violence against each other.  Modern "gangsta" rap is basically the modern-day equivalent of a minstrel show.  I know that's a pretty bold statement, but it's true.

My favorite classic hip-hop artist is Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five.  My favorite modern hip-hop artist is M.I.A.

Captain Crunch

Postby Captain Crunch » January 11th, 2012, 8:20 am

I agree that most modern radio hiphop sucks...

I enjoy 90s hiphop - especially early Wu-Tang Clan albums (also solo albums by Method Man, RZA and GZA), Mobb Deep, Notorious BIG and Nas. Less 'gangster' hiphop I like is DJ Format and Jurassic 5. Also DJ Shadow remains classic. Nowadays the Gorillaz sometimes offer a nice blend of hiphop & pop-music.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » January 11th, 2012, 11:50 am

[QUOTE=MoonMetropolis]Hip-hop is like wine - the older, the better.

With that said, most modern mainstream hip-hop is all about promoting ignorance, selling shoes, and inciting the poor to commit acts of violence against each other.  Modern "gangsta" rap is basically the modern-day equivalent of a minstrel show.  I know that's a pretty bold statement, but it's true.

My favorite classic hip-hop artist is Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five.  My favorite modern hip-hop artist is M.I.A.

[/QUOTE]

Listen to Immortal Technique, he's an excellent underground rapper who speaks the truth about Corporate America.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » January 11th, 2012, 3:34 pm

I think Nicki Minaj does have real talent, at the very least she definitely dosen't deserve to be lumped in with talentless hacks like Soulja Boy(who I think is the single WORST rapper of all time) Lil Wayne ain't bad, but he is very much overrated.

Other rap artists I like are 2 Live Crew, Ice Cube, 2Pac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Coolio, LL Cool J, Ice-T, Master P, Mystikal, Ludacris, C-Murder, Silkk Tha Shocker, Public Enemy, Young Jeezy, Wu-Tang Clan, Nas, Ja Rule, Lil Jon, Sir Mix Alot, Nelly, Three-Six Mafia, etc.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » January 11th, 2012, 6:32 pm

[QUOTE=Michael Prymula]I think Nicki Minaj does have real talent, at the very least she definitely dosen't deserve to be lumped in with talentless hacks like Soulja Boy(who I think is the single WORST rapper of all time)[/QUOTE]
That was a very unfunny joke. Nicky Minaj's only talent is looking like some sort of life-sized barbie doll. Her lyrics are childish and she sounds ridiculous. Soulja Boy is horrible but there are worse. 50 Tyson anyone?

I'm with the rest of the posters here. Late 80s, early 90s hiphop will never be touched. It had that dirty, grimy, dusty sound that just can't be duplicated nowadays. Almost every new artist that came out sounded original and fresh, nowadays everybody sounds the same.

Some of the newer artists I like include Joell Ortiz, Slaughterhouse, Royce, Little Brother, and any production from 9th Wonder. Redman is the g.o.a.t. in my opinion. He always stayed raw.

Luke

Postby Luke » January 12th, 2012, 2:33 am

2pac
Notorious BIG
N.W.A. (and all solo artist ventures, especially Ice Cube!)
Wu-Tang Clan (and most solo artist ventures)
De La Soul
The Roots
Public Enemy
The Pharcyde
A Tribe Called Quest
Naughty By Nature
E-40 & The Click
Beastie Boys
Busta Rhymes
Too $hort
Ludacris

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » January 14th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Perhaps we need an "off topic" forum for people to discuss non-videogame things. 

Just a thought.

Return to “Video Games General”