Co-op Ninja Games for NES??

General and high profile video game topics.
PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 11th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Today, games get fancy terms like "multiplayer" and "cooperative play".  Back in the primitive video game days, we just called these "2-player games".  And there were either "2-player games where you take turns" (like Super Mario Bros.) or "2-player games you played together".  Well, I have this memory stuck in my head of a ninja game for the NES that was a 2-player game that you played together.  I was probably only 5 or 6 years old at the time, so it's not a vivid memory at all.  It's actually very vague.  This memory is like a quick flash in my mind-- like a screenshot, rather than an actual video of the gameplay.  So all I remember are two ninjas on the screen... I always thought one was blue and the other, maybe, orange or green.  I also think I remember a slightly dark vibe to the visuals-- i.e., nighttime, with mostly dark colors used.  I remember thinking the game was cool, because at that time I hadn't seen many games you could play together.. and plus it had ninjas in it.  It's been in my mind forever, but I could never figure out what game it was.  Then this past week, completely at random, I stumbled across a game called Shadow of the Ninja, which is probably the game I've had stuck in my head all these years.  ..But I want to be sure.

So my question is... does anyone know of any other co-op ninja games for the NES?  First of all, so I can finally end the mystery of this static screenshot that has been torturing my memories my whole life.  And second, come on who doesn't like co-op ninja games?, so it might introduce us to some unknown classics to try.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » January 12th, 2012, 1:02 pm

If it's not Shadow of the Ninja, then it might be Ninja Crusaders? Both were fun platformers.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 12th, 2012, 10:04 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]If it's not Shadow of the Ninja, then it might be Ninja Crusaders? Both were fun platformers.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that just made it a lot tougher.  I've watched YouTube videos of both games.  The "dark visuals" I remember are more like Shadow of the Ninja... but for some reason I seem to remember gameplay elements being more like those in Ninja Crusaders (like throwing stars as your first weapon, and morphing into animals).  Of course, my memory from when I was like 5 years old isn't very good, so it's very possible that my memory is just playing some tricks on me (i.e., could players really morph into animals in the game I remember, or am I just randomly thinking that now? I'm not sure.)  I guess I'll just have to get both and hopefully I figure it out from there.

Thanks for your help.  Any others that anyone can think of?

QF

Postby QF » January 14th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Double Dragon II?

Carl7771

Postby Carl7771 » November 25th, 2012, 4:12 pm

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]If it's not Shadow of the Ninja, then it might be Ninja Crusaders? Both were fun platformers.[/QUOTE]

You just solved a 16 year mystery for my brother and I.  Ninja Crusaders was the game we had played so long ago and spent years trying to find.  I had almost faded into the mists of legend. So, thank you! Now onto surfing scorpion action!  

P.S. your a boss!

Return to “Video Games General”