Your Favorite and Least Favorite Genre of Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » January 17th, 2012, 5:29 am

I try to play games from all genres (well, except sports), but we all have genres we always seek out and genres we typically avoid. 

For me, my most favorite genre of game would probably have to be adventure, particularly point-and-click adventure.  Ever since I was a child playing those great family adventure games by Humongous Entertainment, this type of game has strongly appealed to me.  I especially enjoy ones that have striking artwork, challenging puzzles, and profound storylines.  Platformers, particularly 2D ones, have also always been favorites of mine.  Overall, I like my games to be artsy and unique. 

The only genre I always avoid is, of course, sports games.  And you know what I mean by "sports games".  Obviously, sports like skateboarding and wrestling don't count.  No, I'm talking about sports like baseball, basketball, football, ect.  I have never had any interest whatsoever in sports.  In fact, I can't stand them.  Otherwise, there are no genres I actively avoid.  I rarely play first-person shooters, especially if they involve military themes and/or excessive focus on multiplayer.  Those kinds of games are painfully generic and are sapping all creativity from the video game industry.  One could say that I'm less likely to buy a game if it's extremely popular, whereas I'm much more likely to buy something small and independent.

How about you?  What are your favorite and least favorite video game genres, and why?

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » January 17th, 2012, 2:00 pm

I can't stand:
Flight Sims
Puzzle Games
Dungeon Hack/Roguelike RPGs
Tactical RPGs
Dance + Rythm
Motion Control Games in General
1st Person Military Shooters
1st Person Space Marine Shooters
Mech Shooters
Anything from Koei

I like:
Action Adventure Games in General
Action RPGs and some JRPGs
2D + 3D Platformers
2D + 3D Shoot-me-ups
Survival Horror
Sports
Driving
Some Fighting Games

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 17th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Favorite: Platformers, although on any given day my favorite and second favorite are subject to change. In which case, RPGs are my favorite.

Least Favorite: FPS

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » January 17th, 2012, 4:50 pm

My Favorite genre of games has to be racing, especially 3D racing games. I can't get enough of them. Blazing speeds, time trials, shortcuts, branching paths, cars to unlock, power slides, spectacular courses, and tons of replay value. I've always loved racing games (Beetle Adventure racing, Mario Kart 7, Excitebots Trick Racing, Pure, Need for Speed Underground 2, San Francisco Rush, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.)

My least favorite would have to be Real Time Strategy games. With the exception of Plants Vs. Zombies (phenomenal game), I don't play much of these. These seem too complicated for me. I don't hate them, I'm just not the biggest fan of them. 

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » January 17th, 2012, 6:20 pm

[QUOTE=Blueguy]My least favorite would have to be Real Time Strategy games. With the exception of Plants Vs. Zombies (phenomenal game), I don't play much of these. These seem too complicated for me. I don't hate them, I'm just not the biggest fan of them.[/QUOTE]
With real-time strategy games, it's best to start off with pick-up-and-play tower defense titles like Plants vs. Zombies, Ninjatown, and GeoDefense, and then slowly work your way up to the more complicated games like Age of Empires, Command & Conquer, and StarCraft.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » January 17th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I avoid sports games entirely as well(with the exception of fishing games) just not my thing.  FPS, third-person shooters and platformers are my favorite genre.  Don't really play too many fighting games or RPG's.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » January 17th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I would say that the beat em up genre is my favorite. But the Turn based rpg genre is total ASS, I hate those games, they are slow, mushy, poorly controlled  most of the time, and TEDIOUS AS ALL HELL. I dont like them, the only exception is final fantasy legends II and  Dragon Warrior on the nes.

Good day

-Stephen

gilly

Postby gilly » January 17th, 2012, 8:17 pm

I hate flight simulations. I know it's difficult to fly a plane or gasp, a chopper, I don't find that fun.
A hate slow point and click games. Critic said it best when he said Myst might be the greatest game ever made, but I will never find out.
I actually hate the sports games MoonMetropolis is ok with like skateboarding, wrestling, and I would add any "extreme" sports. I enjoy basketball, baseball and football. But as pointed out, you probably have to like those sports to like the games.
I don't care much for puzzle games, and more so for the modern puzzle game disguised as a platformer. Such as Braid. OMG I hate Braid!
Now for FPS, I love sci-fi shooters. I don't care for multiplayer and agree creativity is so lacking on that front. But I find the sci-fi shooters have excellent single player campaigns. Not so with realistic military shooters. Hate Call of Duty and it's clones.

Love 2d or 3d platforming, 2d shooters, as mentioned sci-fi FPS, action adventure games, and rps that are full of action, like Mass Effect. Oh and beat m ups like Streets of Rage, and sometimes fighters and racing games. With fighters I like 2d fighters most. Finally, love survival horror.

There are also games I neither dislike or like much. Like music games of any type, or anything with motion controls. I can dig it at times, usually with family.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 17th, 2012, 8:24 pm

My favorite genre would have to be action-platform games. The first Ninja Gaiden on the NES is pretty close to how the perfect game would be like.

Least favorite? Sports. Or, to be more specific, modern, realistic "sports sims". I'm no huge fan of any sport, and while older pre-1990 sports games could be entertaining enough, and "wacky" takes on sports, like the Mario sports games, can be fun, these overly complex and involving messes are about as far from entertaining gaming as you can get. Tennis and golf are mild exceptions, but those sports tend to benefit from less realism too.

CoyT

Postby CoyT » January 17th, 2012, 8:29 pm

My favorite genre would have to be fighting games. I was raised on Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Tekken. I like how anybody, no matter how little gaming experience they possess, can pick up the controller and win a round or two. But at the same time, it takes real skill to memorize combos and special moves, and to adapt to the characters' strengths and weaknesses. I love it!

My least favorite? Um...to be honest, I can't really say. I can play pretty much anything. Most sports games are a complete bore to me, though. I only go for the arcade-like titles such as NBA Jam.

- Coy

Return to “Video Games General”