Your Favorite and Least Favorite Genre of Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 18th, 2012, 4:37 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]Final Fantasy VI is one of the greatest RPG of all times, and
its main character is a girl.[/QUOTE]
I find that to be kind of debatable. The main character part, not the greatest RPG of all times part. Because I consider the latter a fact. I've always thought of FFVI as a game with no main character. Everyone in the party aside from the optional characters, get their own fair share of the spotlight. In fact, I didn't even realize that Terra was considered the main character until I took a sporcle quiz asking for the main characters of each respective game in the series. I guess I can see how she is but I think that there are more people in the party that are just as worthy of the status of "main character."

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]Yet, it's hard to imagine Solid Snake 
with boobs.[/QUOTE]
Not for me, it isn't. Hehehe... eeew.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 18th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Well, I kinda agree with you actually, I've always sort of felt the same way.
Still, Terra is kinda the link between all the other main characters when
you look right down to it, and her role in the story is central, if only due to
her connexion with the Espers. Certainly, it doesn't take anything away from other characters like Locke, the two brothers... it's just that the supportive cast
is so strong it's easy to consider there's no lead character, but she's still the main protagonist.

MoonMetropolis

Postby MoonMetropolis » January 18th, 2012, 6:19 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]...and that's why I have problems getting into any of those games. Metroid is an exception, because before the Justin Bailey code, I didn't know Samus was a female. I thought for sure it was a guy because of the super cool outfit.[/QUOTE]
No offense, but it sounds to me like you are a bit insecure about your masculinity.  I mean, what's the big deal about playing as a girl?  It doesn't make you "gay".  Your statement about Metroid only supports my point that having a female protagonist doesn't affect the gameplay.  So why, exactly, does it bother you?

There are also lots of great modern games with female protagonists, like Mirror's Edge, Kameo: Elements of Power, Aquaria, No One Lives Forever, Dreamfall, Syberia, A Vampyre Story, Deathsmiles, Ms. Splosion Man, Bayonetta (my personal favorite game of this generation), Okami, ect.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 19th, 2012, 12:36 am

If I'm playing something like a 3rd person adventure game, I might as well be staring at the butt of a female.

I have no problem with games like Beyond Good & Evil and select female characters when given the option.

Luke

Postby Luke » January 19th, 2012, 1:59 am

@ Moon

*Shrug* I just prefer to play games with guy characters. Is that a problem?

It's not like I'm being totally sexist or anything. After all, there are some games that I have where the lead character is a female.. like the previously mentioned Metroid, as well as Heavenly Sword on PS3.

I guess when I play most of my video games, I just like to imagine that I am that character, and I happen to find it much easier and more comfortable to do when they are male characters. Especially when they are super cool, like James Bond or Joe Musashi - I just want to be that guy!

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » January 19th, 2012, 3:11 am

I'm a guy, but I prefer playing as female characters, because most of the time they're alot more interesting to me then most male ones are.  I think it's pretty silly to not like a game simply because of the main characters gender.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » January 19th, 2012, 3:13 am

Oh and I actually prefer "realistic" FPS games to sci-fi, to me the whole "sci-fi" future story is used in WAAAYYYYYY too many games.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 19th, 2012, 4:57 am

I tend to use female characters in fighting games every so often. My favorite character in Soul Calibur is Talim. My team for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 always has X-23 and pretty often, Felicia. Deadpool usually takes the other spot. In Dead or Alive games, I usually play as Kasumi or Ayane. Although, let's be honest. The biggest draw in DOA is the female cast. My favorite character in Power Stone is Wang-Tang but I also really like using Rouge and Ayame. In other fighters, namely Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Tekken, I typically use the male characters, though.  

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » January 20th, 2012, 12:24 am

Fav. = Hack n slash, action Rpg

Least fav. = Sports, Fps

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 20th, 2012, 10:19 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]My favorite genre would be racing (Particularly if it's a simulation). My least favorite would be a close tie between Japanese RPG's and one on one fighters.
[/QUOTE]

Looks like you and I have similar tastes as this is almost exactly what I was going to say.  To be specific, though, I would say that my favorites are very arcade-y racers like Burnout, Mario Kart, Outrun, etc.

Return to “Video Games General”