NO WAY to transfer my VC games to new console? REALLY?

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul C

Postby Paul C » January 23rd, 2012, 1:25 pm

Having just decided that it is time to buy a new Wii console because of all the disk-read errors I have been getting recently, I am only now starting to feel the wrath towards Nintendo that they have not yet provided a way to do this that I can find.  I guarantee that I will never buy another virtual-ANYTHING from them on a future console or portable console of theirs if they do not provide some service to this customer pretty soon.  I am really bitter about this right now, so bear with me.  They should have had this figured out a long time ago.  Heck, I'll register the Wii's under my name with the company so they can confirm whatever they need to so they can prevent piracy, I understand that.  But they better provide SOMETHING or they are going to create a very dissatisfied customer that will be much more wary of such purchases in the future, no matter what promises they try to make...

David

Postby David » January 23rd, 2012, 2:01 pm

I think I remember reading somewhere that you can send both consoles in and they can transfer them for you.  Not sure if that's accurate though.  Even so, it's really stupid for them not to do something like the PSN, where everything is tied to an account instead of a console.

Luke

Postby Luke » January 23rd, 2012, 2:42 pm

Wow. I have never thought about this before! Without having a removable hard drive and no data transfer cable that I'm aware of... I suppose all your downloads would be stuck on that one Wii console.

porypowerhour

Postby porypowerhour » January 23rd, 2012, 3:58 pm

Can't you just transfer them on SD card? Most of my WiiWare games are on my SD card

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 23rd, 2012, 4:39 pm

[QUOTE=porypowerhour]Can't you just transfer them on SD card? Most of my WiiWare games are on my SD card[/QUOTE]
I actually asked this question in another and got an unfortunate but truthful answer. Apparently, you can save the games onto an SD card but for whatever reason the games themselves are still tied to the system they purchased on. It's my understanding that if you put your SD card with the game data on it in another, the data won't even show up. It seems kinda ridiculous to me.

porypowerhour

Postby porypowerhour » January 23rd, 2012, 5:15 pm

Oh wow that's silly. All I can say is try what David said, but if not, just use one Wii system for disc-based games, and one for WiiWare/VC/channels/etc I suppose

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 23rd, 2012, 9:06 pm

[QUOTE=nesfan]Apparently, you can save the games onto an SD card but for whatever reason the games themselves are still tied to the system they purchased on. It's my understanding that if you put your SD card with the game data on it in another, the data won't even show up. It seems kinda ridiculous to me.[/QUOTE]

It's done for DRM purposes to prevent piracy. If they didn't do that, there would be nothing stopping people from easily sharing their downloads. You could log on to any torrent site in the world and download anything you wanted to your SD card. No one would buy any games.

Lets hope they move to an account based solution in the future like Sony and Microsoft use. Using Sony's system, you could log on to Nintendo's website and deactive a system to open up the ability to tie your games to a replacement system.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 24th, 2012, 12:05 am

I just finally bought my first VC game a couple weeks ago, and I immediately had this same thought once I realized that there was no way to transfer the games between systems.  It really bothers me too.  But some people might prefer it.  Here's the good part and the bad part:

GOOD
If you sell your Wii console on eBay, Craigslist, etc., having the VC games will increase its value.  Let's say I own a Xbox 360 and I want to sell it.  And let's say I don't care about all my Xbox Live Arcade games anymore... well, I can't get rid of them unless I give the buyer my Xbox Live account too.  So if you never plan to use those XLA games again, they either basically "disappear" when you sell your console (stuck to an unused account) or you give up your XLA account to the buyer (which might contain personal info).  But with the Wii, you can get some value back for those VC games if you sell the console.  So if you spent $300 on some really good VC games, maybe someone would give you like an extra $150 for your Wii.  Can't really do that if you sell your PS3.

BAD
Exactly what happened to Paul.  Basically, you can't buy $300 in VC games today, and tomorrow you're Wii could smash to the ground.. and all your VC games are gone.  On the Xbox 360 and PS3, your games are preserved when your console stops working.  Also, as a counter to the above point, you could sell your console without losing your XLA and PSN games, if you wanted to keep them.

I personally prefer the Microsoft and Sony model, but there is at least some merit for certain people in the Nintendo model.

Paul C

Postby Paul C » January 24th, 2012, 3:35 am

[QUOTE=PSX]I just finally bought my first VC game a couple weeks ago, and I immediately had this same thought once I realized that there was no way to transfer the games between systems.  It really bothers me too.  But some people might prefer it.  Here's the good part and the bad part:

GOOD
If you sell your Wii console on eBay, Craigslist, etc., having the VC games will increase its value.  Let's say I own a Xbox 360 and I want to sell it.  And let's say I don't care about all my Xbox Live Arcade games anymore... well, I can't get rid of them unless I give the buyer my Xbox Live account too.  So if you never plan to use those XLA games again, they either basically "disappear" when you sell your console (stuck to an unused account) or you give up your XLA account to the buyer (which might contain personal info).  But with the Wii, you can get some value back for those VC games if you sell the console.  So if you spent $300 on some really good VC games, maybe someone would give you like an extra $150 for your Wii.  Can't really do that if you sell your PS3.

BAD
Exactly what happened to Paul.  Basically, you can't buy $300 in VC games today, and tomorrow you're Wii could smash to the ground.. and all your VC games are gone.  On the Xbox 360 and PS3, your games are preserved when your console stops working.  Also, as a counter to the above point, you could sell your console without losing your XLA and PSN games, if you wanted to keep them.

I personally prefer the Microsoft and Sony model, but there is at least some merit for certain people in the Nintendo model.
[/QUOTE]

I see what you are trying to say, but in this case the bad outweighs the good by such an extreme margin that I don't even think the "good" counts. 

andrew

Postby andrew » January 24th, 2012, 1:15 pm

[QUOTE=PSX]I just finally bought my first VC game a couple weeks ago, and I immediately had this same thought once I realized that there was no way to transfer the games between systems.  It really bothers me too.  But some people might prefer it.  Here's the good part and the bad part:

GOOD

BAD

[/QUOTE]According to the terms of service, the user must wipe the internal memory if selling their Wii. Of course they won't know if you don't wipe it but if you follow the terms, your good point is invalid.

Return to “Video Games General”