OFFICIAL NEW SITE DESIGN THREAD

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 2nd, 2012, 7:12 pm

It may be a little rough around the edges, but I decided to unleash the new site on the masses today.  It may be disconcerting at first, but please give it a chance.

If you have issues or suggestions, I'd like to hear them.  I think there are a lot of tweaks and improvements that can be made over the next few weeks.  Work with me people!

Thanks and please provide feedback.

Carl1

Postby Carl1 » February 2nd, 2012, 7:25 pm

Critic---

I haven't logged on in a few days and my mind was totally blown by the new site. It looks amazing, much respect. I will keep clicking around but I have to admit, it looks great. I love the inclusion of the green as a bit of a connection to the older VGC site. Congratulations on the new site, it really pops off the screen so to speak.

-Carl

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » February 2nd, 2012, 7:52 pm

The Intellivision was released in 1980 in North America and 1982 in Europe and Japan. I don't think it should be listed under "1970's". (Yes, I know it was tested in Fresno, California in 1979, but I don't really think that counts.)

Anyway, I love the new site!

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » February 2nd, 2012, 8:05 pm

I appreciate all the work that must go into this site. However,I am 35 years old,and already find myself resisting change. I had no problem with the old site,but I will give it a chance. I do like the circuit board backdrop. 

andrew

Postby andrew » February 2nd, 2012, 9:19 pm

Wholesale changes is an understatement.  I thought I clicked on the wrong google link to get here.

Your site is much better organized now especially for articles and portable reviews. You have my virtual stamp of approval.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 2nd, 2012, 10:20 pm

Wow, much much better.  One thing I like is how the new site does justice to the banners.  They really look a lot better with this design.

Josh

Postby Josh » February 2nd, 2012, 10:26 pm

I like it. The only thing that struck me was all the empty space on the sides. It's like this little gaming planet in the middle of a big galaxy. I think you need to fill in some of that space or expand the middle part.

Just my two cents

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 2nd, 2012, 11:08 pm

Looks good

No empty space on the sides for me on my 4:3 CRT.

[QUOTE=soporj]The Intellivision was released in 1980 in North America and 1982 in Europe and Japan. I don't think it should be listed under "1970's". (Yes, I know it was tested in Fresno, California in 1979, but I don't really think that counts.
[/QUOTE]

It's still a release and was sold with several games, even if it was a limited one done for testing purposes. Plus, people associate it as a contemporary with systems that clearly got their start in the 70's (Particularly the 2600 and to a lesser extent, the Odyssey 2). And it helps keep things organized (1980's is a pretty crowded category while the 1970's only has 1/3 as many systems listed).

Room for argument, but I think it belongs in the 1970s category.

Luke

Postby Luke » February 3rd, 2012, 3:56 am

*Shrug* It doesn't look much different to me. What am I missing?

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » February 3rd, 2012, 6:52 am

[QUOTE=Leo]It's still a release and was sold with several games, even if it was a limited one done for testing purposes. Plus, people associate it as a contemporary with systems that clearly got their start in the 70's (Particularly the 2600 and to a lesser extent, the Odyssey 2). And it helps keep things organized (1980's is a pretty crowded category while the 1970's only has 1/3 as many systems listed).

Room for argument, but I think it belongs in the 1970s category.
[/QUOTE]

Well with this argument we could also say that the Genesis belongs in the 90's section as most people associate the console with the 90's and not the 80's (and in some parts of the world, like here in europe, it was even released in 1990)
The Intellivision for me is a 80's console as is the Vectrex or the Colecovision. I think the site should go with the official release dates as it does with the Atari 7800 (saying 1986 and ignoring the original short-lived 1984 launch)

I think the site overall looks good but i'm not too fond of the drop-down menus. I liked the old menu as it was faster to navigate from one console to the next. Now we have to look around, what decade is the right one, where in the pull-down menu is the console...it's a bit tedious i think.

And i don't understand why so many people regard the 32X and Sega CD as stand-alone consoles, when in fact they were just add-ons. If they get their own sections, i guess the Jaguar CD should also get it's own section and if that get it's own section, the Neo Geo CD should also be stand-alone and i don't know in what chaos this will end.
Besides, the Sega CD section doesn't even load.

Return to “Video Games General”