OFFICIAL NEW SITE DESIGN THREAD

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2012, 5:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys!  Keep it coming.

I fixed the High Score Challenge and Sega CD links.  Thanks for bringing those to my attention.  I know that I still need to "wrap" the Articles with the new banner.

I was worried about the possibility that everybody might hate the new look (after all this work!) but the feedback has been mostly positive so far (80% at least).

I realize that the slick modern look may turn off some visitors, but I think the antiquated look was turning away even more.  I do agree that the long navigation bar attracted a lot of attention before, and I'm sad to lose it.  If anybody can think of a way to integrate that concept in the new design let me know.

I hear a lot of talk about organization of the consoles, and you have to realize it's just an arbitrary thing.  I don't want to adopt the generation approach because frankly I don't agree with all of those groupings. 

The colors may be tweaked, or even rotated.  Blue tends to be easy on the eyes, but I can also imagine an alternate green look.  I love the stars and the circuit boards backgrounds, but these can also be changed or rotated.  Originally the stars were a Pac-Man maze.

I'm not going to make any major changes right away, because I want to give people time to get used to the new layout, and we'll see how things shake out. 

Anyway keep chiming in with your opinions!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2012, 5:27 pm

I got some feedback from a reader who is using a old 800x600 resolution monitor, and he can't read all the review text without scrolling.

Anybody else having this problem?  I want to gauge if this is a widespread issue.

mesk1

Postby mesk1 » February 3rd, 2012, 6:05 pm

Love the new design! Been waiting for it for some time,was on the site earlier today reading some n64 reviews,glad I came back.Keep up the great reviews!
(however a little keener eye on the Call of Duty reviews would be appreciated!)  

Cris

Postby Cris » February 3rd, 2012, 6:21 pm

I think the dropdown menu can be cleaned up a little by adding the North American release year in front of each console. This would clearly show that the consoles are sorted by year while adding an extra bit of info. Plus, it helps your eye do its own grouping. For instance, in the attachment, what are commonly considered second-generation consoles are easily identifiable by the year 1982.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2012, 6:50 pm

Has anybody noticed the black/white toggle icon that appears on top of the review pages?  (only the pages with actual review text).

Maybe I could add another option to customize the width of the reviews.  I could make a narrow option for those with old monitors, and a wide option for those with a wide screen.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » February 3rd, 2012, 7:25 pm

I love, love, love the new look.  Kudos to everyone that worked on it.  The banner images up top are boss.

I found a minor bug.  Click the sort by grade in the Neo Geo section and you'll get an error on the page.

Super cool job.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2012, 8:09 pm

The grade sorting has been fixed.  Good catch,

Paul C

Postby Paul C » February 3rd, 2012, 8:17 pm

Does this mean you are only going to be reviewing two games at a time instead of the usual three, since there is only room for two blocks in each row?

Still REALLY not liking the cheap looking blue borders.  It looks more and more amateurish to me every time I visit.   Everything else is good.

Just sayin'.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2012, 9:22 pm

Paul -
My reviews will NOT be limited to two at a time.  They'll be the same frequency as always.  I can adjust the screenshot sizes to fit.

If you have an suggestions for replacing the blue borders I am open to suggestions.
Dave

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » February 3rd, 2012, 11:01 pm

I have to agree with the folks that are saying the star background doesn't look that great. My suggestion would be just to have a black background instead of the stars.

Return to “Video Games General”