OFFICIAL NEW SITE DESIGN THREAD

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul C

Postby Paul C » February 4th, 2012, 11:34 am

I don't really know what else is possible since I don't know much about website creation, but anything with some texture or shape, instead of the plain blue blocks that looks like they were done with an old 16-color computer.  If there were some way to just round off the corners and edges and add some depth to them similar to the old site it would look much more polished.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2012, 5:06 pm

I'm pretty happy with the layout presently, but there's always room for improvement in the future.  I have a few ideas that might address some of the complaints I'm seeing.

Personally I really like the star background.  It gives the site a Galaxian vibe.  However, I had another idea that might partly address the "list of systems" that's now missing.   Maybe the background could be a "wall of system names" like:

Atari 2600 * Turbografx-16 * Super Nintendo *....

If these were in a nice font, and faded so they don't stand out too much, it just might work.  It might give people a sense of the enormous list of consoles covered by this site.

I also like the blue blocks, however we could replace the boxes with graphics that would let us facilitate rounded edges.  Better yet, maybe we could have some ornate pixelated borders circa 1986 (think Zelda).

Feel free to toss out ideas.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » February 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm

I love the new design! The stars in the background are cool, and the decade's are organized very well!

Just for a future update, when the Wii U, Xbox 720, and PS4 all come out, you might want to update the next decade to 'the 2010's'.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 4th, 2012, 5:41 pm

I don't know how well it would work, but you could create a background collage of system logos.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » February 5th, 2012, 2:27 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I'm pretty happy with the layout presently, but there's always room for improvement in the future.  I have a few ideas that might address some of the complaints I'm seeing.

Personally I really like the star background.  It gives the site a Galaxian vibe.  However, I had another idea that might partly address the "list of systems" that's now missing.   Maybe the background could be a "wall of system names" like:

Atari 2600 * Turbografx-16 * Super Nintendo *....

If these were in a nice font, and faded so they don't stand out too much, it just might work.  It might give people a sense of the enormous list of consoles covered by this site.

I also like the blue blocks, however we could replace the boxes with graphics that would let us facilitate rounded edges.  Better yet, maybe we could have some ornate pixelated borders circa 1986 (think Zelda).

Feel free to toss out ideas.

[/QUOTE]

1.  I think a lot of the problems with the look of the borders could be resolved just by making them green instead of blue.  It's just odd to view your site as blue after seeing it as green for so many years.

2.  Your system list could go where the "News Flash" is now, but I have a feeling you wouldn't want to do that.  Why not just stick it out on the left border (i.e., where the starry sky is now)?  You got all that open space out there... why not use it by placing a list of systems there?  Otherwise I'm not sure what to do.  But, without that list, I think the site loses the big "first impression" it used to make on new visitors.

Paul C

Postby Paul C » February 5th, 2012, 5:26 am

[QUOTE=PSX]
1.  I think a lot of the problems with the look of the borders could be resolved just by making them green instead of blue.  It's just odd to view your site as blue after seeing it as green for so many years.
[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying, but I don't think it's that simple.  Those borders looks so cheap and "ANSI graphics you get by holding the 'ALT' key on an old mid-90's dial-up billboard some kid runs from his bedroom", instead of polished and original like a bona-fide review site should be.  I would MUCH prefer something like what Dave mentioned, maybe make the borders out of familiar blocks or shapes from a game like Zelda.  I really think the site should be gravitating more towards a look of relevancy instead of taking a half-step back away from an even more modern look than it had before.  If someone were to go around town with a picture of the old site and the new I'll bet 9 out of 10 would assume the new site is the old one, and the old version is the updated and modernized new site.

Paul C

Postby Paul C » February 5th, 2012, 5:28 am

Maybe the fact that the banners at the top look so AMAZING is making those borders really suffer by comparison to me...

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » February 5th, 2012, 10:07 am

[QUOTE=Paul C][QUOTE=PSX]
[/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying, but I don't think it's that simple.  Those borders looks so cheap and "ANSI graphics you get by holding the 'ALT' key on an old mid-90's dial-up billboard some kid runs from his bedroom", instead of polished and original like a bona-fide review site should be.  I would MUCH prefer something like what Dave mentioned, maybe make the borders out of familiar blocks or shapes from a game like Zelda.  I really think the site should be gravitating more towards a look of relevancy instead of taking a half-step back away from an even more modern look than it had before.  If someone were to go around town with a picture of the old site and the new I'll bet 9 out of 10 would assume the new site is the old one, and the old version is the updated and modernized new site.
[/QUOTE]

I'll respectfully disagree.  Using tiled backgrounds reminds me of the old 90s geocities websites that popped up everywhere.  I don't disagree that there may be minor things that could be done to polish it up but really making the page super busy goes the opposite of current web design.  (at least in my humble opinion)

Paul B

Postby Paul B » February 5th, 2012, 11:04 am

I just wanted to say that even though the new design is taking some time to get used to, I still like the changes made. The starry background reminds me of the old "black box" NES instruction manuals. No complaints there!

I noticed a typo on the main page under "VGC News Flash": "When you access this site from your phone, the mobile version is display automatically!" Of course, it should be displayed.

Keep up the awesome work! I love coming to the site to read reviews from an honest perspective and it gives me insight on games I may have amnesia on or games I think I might like that I never got to play. You have saved me countless times on buying a horrible game! (Except for KISS Pinball for Playstation...that was my fault...and shame on me for trying to convince you otherwise! Guess being a KISS fan makes you "drink the Kool-Aid" sometimes!)

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 5th, 2012, 11:30 am

[QUOTE=PSX]Your system list could go where the "News Flash" is now, but I have a feeling you wouldn't want to do that.  Why not just stick it out on the left border (i.e., where the starry sky is now)?  You got all that open space out there... why not use it by placing a list of systems there?[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is those of us that are sticking with their 4:3 CRT monitors don't have all of that empty space that your proposal would use. Got to keep those of us that haven't switched to 16:10 LCD's in mind (Although my gamer is hooked up to one).

I suspect we got a decent number of CRT users around here still. See the linked picture for a screenshot that shows you the appearance of the site for 4:3 monitor users.

Return to “Video Games General”