OFFICIAL NEW SITE DESIGN THREAD

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2012, 11:46 am

I was just exchanging emails with Terry about some changes we can apply in the future.  The borders around the main page elements probably wouldn't be too hard.  We have some interesting ideas for alternate backgrounds (including the logo wall Leo suggested).

Mark pointed out that there may be a way to "pin" the banner to the top of the screen so you'll always have easy access.  We'll be experimenting with several approaches.

I think the site will continue to evolve and get better.

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » February 8th, 2012, 10:35 am

I like the simple blue borders, but I'm not against change.

The new banners look good.  I especially like the one with Mario, Sonic, Spyro and Crash Bandicoot.  I miss Crash; I wish someone would make a decent game staring him again.  I also like the banner which shows Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man meeting.

Scott

Postby Scott » February 8th, 2012, 9:05 pm

I am not able to get to the forums on my ipad2 any more, can get the drop down except for the ones under the main page tab.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 8th, 2012, 10:57 pm

[QUOTE=Scott]

I am not able to get to the forums on my ipad2 any more, can get the drop down except for the ones under the main page tab.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 10th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know about a few things I'm looking into concerning the site redesign.

- We are experimenting with ways to "pin" the header to the top of the page even when you scroll down.
- I am working on a way to have the Ebay links direct to the Ebay of your country. 
- At least one reader has problems reading reviews because the text is too wide. 
- I'm thinking about adding a "narrow review" preference.
- I'm considering toning down some of the blue colors on the main page.
- I will probably add a black/white text toggle to the mobile version of the site.

Comments are welcome.

Lucky Man

Postby Lucky Man » February 10th, 2012, 5:26 pm

I'm glad you're looking for ways to improve the site, but in my experience, pinning the header always messes up the scrolling. I love reading through your reviews, but if I have to fight with the mouse to move the page up and down because of a pinned header, it's going to make visiting the site much less enjoyable. Not to mention, having the header follow you down the page leaves that much less room to see the reviews.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » February 10th, 2012, 7:43 pm

[QUOTE=Lucky Man]

I'm glad you're looking for ways to improve the site, but in my experience, pinning the header always messes up the scrolling. I love reading through your reviews, but if I have to fight with the mouse to move the page up and down because of a pinned header, it's going to make visiting the site much less enjoyable. Not to mention, having the header follow you down the page leaves that much less room to see the reviews.

[/QUOTE]

I'm inclined to agree with this, although without seeing it in action I can't say for sure.

Scott

Postby Scott » February 10th, 2012, 11:30 pm

What I am saying critic I cannot access the forum from my ipad2.

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=Scott]

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand.
[/QUOTE]

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 11th, 2012, 3:43 pm

Oh okay.  I have a friend with an iPad 2 - I'll have him give it a try so we can track this down.

a1

Postby a1 » February 11th, 2012, 7:50 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Oh okay.  I have a friend with an iPad 2 - I'll have him give it a try so we can track this down.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you already addressed the problem or if there isn't one; I was able to get to the forums on my wife's ipad 2 without issue.

Return to “Video Games General”