should I get a ps3 or xbox 360?

General and high profile video game topics.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » February 13th, 2012, 7:34 pm

On the shmups front the PS3 has practically none whereas the 360 has loads, it's the only old school shooter console this generation really.

When people say the 360's only exclusives are Halo and Gears they are always talking rubbish, there's plenty there.  I'd say barring shmups both consoles are fairly equal though I much prefer the 360's exclusive racers over the PS3's (and quite like having a controller that's suitable for the genre without having to buy attachments to clip onto it).

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » February 13th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I had to make the same decision a few months ago, and chose the PS3.  I was concerned about the 360 giving out on me.  Besides that somewhat irrational fear, they differences between the systems are not that great (compared to past generations of consoles).  Both systems have enough games to satisfy anyone's specific needs.  If you still have trouble deciding, flip a coin.

Bayou Billy

Postby Bayou Billy » February 14th, 2012, 7:15 am

if you don't want to pay for online, take the ps3 (thought the quality between both service are not exactly the same)

Guy

Postby Guy » February 14th, 2012, 5:52 pm

Wii U

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » February 15th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Thank you to everyone who commented. I have decided  on the xbox 360. One big reason is cost. I have seen the xbox 4gb go for as little as 150$ delivered,and factory sealed. My cousin is going to assist me in upgrading the hardrive using an old xbox? He did it on his apparently. Also if I go live,it seems xbox is the way to go. I would appreciate some ideas for a few must have bargain titles to start my collection. Bioshock and Bayonetta are already on my list. Are there any golf games besides Tiger woods?Good platformers?

Julio III

Postby Julio III » February 16th, 2012, 5:53 am

Can't think of any retail platformers. There are plenty of excellent ones on the download services. There may be a few which have been bundled together for disc release but thats it. Of course, you can get Sonic Unleashed, which I actually liked a lot (much more than Sonic Colours). And there's the recent Sonic Generations, which I haven't tried out yet so can't comment on.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » February 16th, 2012, 10:58 am

Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations are great 360 platformers.  SG is both 2D and 3D and rayman is pure old school 2D.  I've never played a current gen golf game, but I believe Tiger Woods has yearly installments in his series.

a1

Postby a1 » February 16th, 2012, 8:56 pm

[QUOTE=Burk]Thank you to everyone who commented. I have decided  on the xbox 360. One big reason is cost. I have seen the xbox 4gb go for as little as 150$ delivered,and factory sealed. My cousin is going to assist me in upgrading the hardrive using an old xbox? He did it on his apparently. [/QUOTE]

That can't be done as far as I'm aware. The new 360 isn't compatible with the old hardrive.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » February 17th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I would be careful about upgrading a 360 with an original Xbox harddrive (I don't know if it can be done). What I would be more worried about is having them detect an unauthorized modification while signed on to Xbox Live. Microsoft seems to be able to detect these things - maybe I am just paranoid.

Also, if you haven't actually purchased yet, I'd like to chime in a little bit. First of all, I would avoid the 4GB even if you do an authorized upgrade. It just makes more sense to have the 250 GB out of the gate, especially if you like shmups - which seem to be more common in the download area as opposed to retail.

I'm also curious for someone who stated "kinect...was really cool", "I think my wife would like kinect" , and "Take into consideration console durability, game choices, and motion control games", you didn't mention about getting a Kinect. I happen to really enjoy mine and it has come down in price recently.

Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase - enjoy

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » February 25th, 2012, 1:29 am

I have been playing my recently purchased Xbox 360,and I am pretty pleased so far. The load times are decent,and the graphics amaze me. Bioshock is an unbelievable game for the 8 bucks I payed. I am very exited to play Rayman origins,and will probably get Fable 3 soon.Any suggestions for some older bargain titles would be great.They are all new to me! Any party games?

Return to “Video Games General”