Greatest Golf Games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Greatest Golf Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 25th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Anybody mention PGA Tour 96 for the Playstation?  That game came when gaming was at a crossroads, and as a result it combines great 16-bit gameplay with gorgeous digitized graphics.  After this game, everything was boring polygons.  Even today the new Tiger Woods games look like crap.

Logan Ruckman

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Logan Ruckman » March 26th, 2011, 11:50 am

Who's with me in saying that we need a new Mario Golf or Kirby's Dream Course? Okay, I promise from now on, I'll shut up about KDC.

Blueguy93

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Blueguy93 » March 26th, 2011, 10:45 pm

I have to say Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 for the PS2. Very fun and I loved using the Tiger Vision. Its pretty challenging but addicting and I played a lot back in the day. I also enjoy the mini golf mini game in Mario Party 3, and Mario golf Toadstool Tour for the Gamecube.

snakeboy1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby snakeboy1 » March 29th, 2011, 2:35 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Anybody mention PGA Tour 96 for the Playstation?  That game came when gaming was at a crossroads, and as a result it combines great 16-bit gameplay with gorgeous digitized graphics.  After this game, everything was boring polygons.  Even today the new Tiger Woods games look like crap.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I agree that the Tiger Woods games today have a very "blah" look to them. However, you should try out Tiger Woods '11 for the Wii -- I think you might like the mini-golf mode. Mini-golf is also in Tiger Woods '12, which just released today, I think.

I really liked the last couple of Tiger Woods games on the Wii quite a bit. I'm also a big fan of Neo Turf Masters on the SNK collection. The Neo Geo Pocket version is also quite good. Probably my favorite old school golf game is NES Open.

Wallyworld1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 30th, 2011, 3:04 pm

I'm an avid golfer and am looking for something very specific in a golf game I have yet to find. If anyone can help me please post an answer.

I am looking for a golf game with a course editor that you can build your own course.

I want to be able to design a golf course like my local courses that I play on the weekends. I have searched the features on a lot of golf games but have yet to see one with the course editor.

Seems to me it would be a great feature that no one has done yet.

0-Storm

Greatest Golf Games

Postby 0-Storm » February 24th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Been playing Tiger Woods 99 (PS1) & Hot Shots Golf (PS1). Both games were made around the same time. Tiger is ok, but the putting ruins it.

Hot Shots is great, but I think its the hardest game in the series. I'm playing VS. mode trying to unlock all the golfers. I can't beat Raul (2nd to last golfer I think). I can beat all the golfers on hard mode in 4 so I can't believe how much I'm struggling to beat Raul.

I really got into Wii Sports Resort Golf. I wish Nintendo would release a Golf game on the Wii with a career mode & stat tracking. The controls are fine as is.

Tried re-tuning my golf swing for Tiger Woods 10 (Wii). I put it on advanced mode hoping for more of a challenge. It didn't do much, but U know what did? I took off the option to spin the ball after my shot. Much more difficult, much better.

I'm interested in Tiger Woods 12 Masters for both the Wii & Xbox 360. Now that the Vita is out I'm waiting for a price drop on the PSP 3000 so I can get the two Hot Shots games.

TedE.Bear

Greatest Golf Games

Postby TedE.Bear » February 24th, 2012, 9:02 pm

I can't stand real golf (playing it in real life or as a video game) for the most part.

But I got the Plug 'N Play Golden Tee game for Xmas last year and I think it's a blast!  Best arcade-style golf game without a doubt.  Great trackball control!  Well worth the $30.00!

ShadowAngel1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby ShadowAngel1 » February 25th, 2012, 5:12 am

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]
I am looking for a golf game with a course editor that you can build your own course.
[/QUOTE]

Get Links 2003 for PC.
There is a Course designer for it called "Arnold Palmer's Course Designer, originally released for Links 2001 but it also works with this sequel.
The game still has a fairly large community and there are several websites like www.linkscountryclub.com and http://linkscorner.org with tutorials, forums and of course hundreds of fan-made courses for download.

It's also in my oppinion the best and most realistic Golf game to date. The console golf games never came even close to this (Links 2004 for Xbox is a dumbed-down version of the PC original).

The only alternative with a course editor is know is Total Golf Pro, it's an independent game by Wolverine studio and while it graphically isn't awesome, the gameplay is really good and there's also a course editor.

Chaserb

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Chaserb » February 25th, 2012, 9:46 am

Tiger Woods 2004 for Xbox is my favorite of all time, and I've played a lot of golf games. That's the one I keep coming back to, just a perfect game from a time before DLC ruined the series.

Chaser1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Chaser1 » February 26th, 2012, 2:47 pm

No way to edit posts...anyway, I should say Tiger 2004 if you like playing with a traditional controller. Tiger 11 (or possibly 12, haven't played it much) on the Wii is fantastic if you prefer motion controls. I'm torn between the Wii and Xbox versions, just depends on the mood I'm in. Now if you're playing in-house multiplayer, the Wii version of Tiger rules. I love captain's choice with 3 of my friends and lots of beer.

Return to “Video Games General”