Bad language in other game sites?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2012, 5:43 pm

I have to admit that the usually don't peruse other game sites, but I found myself surfing around a bit today and looking at a few articles.

I noticed that the comments in these forums were loaded with profanity and obscenities.  Yes, there were some people who spoke intelligently, but there was definitely no degree of moderation going on.  I'm talking about some pretty high profile sites like 1up.com.

How do you guys feel about that?  Do you mind all that garbage?   I'm sure some would defend it as free speech, but personally it turns me off.  When somebody is posting a spew of profanity they have no credibility in my book so I don't care what they have to say.  I don't like having to wade through that.

Are all the other sites like that??

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » February 26th, 2012, 7:06 pm

I avoid forums on other gaming sites. I don't mind the occasional curse word, but when you have some 13-year-old "spewing" profanities left and right, my brain turns off and I move on.

Silver_Fox1

Postby Silver_Fox1 » February 26th, 2012, 7:29 pm

I can usually tell by spelling and grammar how intelligent a person is. Although I am not the best with words myself. A few curse words don't bother me, unless the entire post or article is laced with them. Such as all of these "angry-hateful-gamer" clowns/reviewers out there. Them guys are just corny and childish. They want to be like seanbaby, but fail miserably. This is the internet you know, some people will type how they speak in person.

Josh

Postby Josh » February 26th, 2012, 7:42 pm

Yep. That's why I only read this one and one or two others. You'd think that I would learn not to look at the comments section but for some reason I always do and then wonder why I spend time reading a bunch of nonsense.

Here, I pretty much know that comments are coming from people who just like to play video games and not fight over stupid crap (at least now that steer is gone).

mesk1

Postby mesk1 » February 26th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Game Informer is pretty good.1 up since being taken over by IGN last year has really gone downhill.Nothing but flamebait\trollbait articles as of late.Also they are WAYYYYY to pro $ony. I wouldnt be surprised to find out that $ony has some or all of IGN under its umbrella.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » February 27th, 2012, 2:09 am

Meh, dosen't really bother me any, i'd certainly rather read bad language then hear it. Besides, most game sites I visit(like Gametrailers) censor bad language.

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » February 27th, 2012, 2:13 am

Also, I don't write people off just for using profanity, some people jsut do it to take a point and don't believe in using filters, don't get me wrong, I get just as irritated by trolls as anyone else, but it's not so much the language that bothers me, it's usually the deragtory tone that gets me. 

P.S.   You think game sites are bad?  You should try browsing the forums on IMDB, you'd be hard-pressed a bigger collection of trolls/idiots then on that site.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » February 27th, 2012, 9:24 am

[QUOTE=Silver_Fox]I can usually tell by spelling and grammar how intelligent a person is. Although I am not the best with words myself. [/QUOTE]

Never forget that the Internet is a place where people from all over the world come together and you can't expect everybody to write english as good as someone who has it as a first language. Also don't forget that some people suffer from Dyslexia. Judging strangers from the way they write is wrong - unless it's obviously stupid, like most Youtube comments.

As for bad language: I don't see a problem with it. I prefer people who actually write the words down, say what they want to say, instead of those self-censoring whiny asses who get offended by a word like "the evil F-word". I know it's mostly an american thing to censor and bleep it out and movies get an instant R-Rating if the "evil F-word" is spoken out more than 3 times, which i find hilariously stupid.
Why are you so afraid of words, i wonder?!

I rather see people writing or saying what they want to say, instead of them getting censored or censoring themself. Censorship is a very bad thing, it's never good.
I always wonder, why, if the Critic is so annoyed from the words, he uses them still in reviews. Even if their hidden behind the [expletive] thing...why? If you censor yourself, stop using the language and try to get your point across in a kiddy-compatible fashion. That [expletive] thing always looks so goddamn stupid.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » February 27th, 2012, 10:56 am

[QUOTE]How do you guys feel about that?  Do you mind all that garbage?   I'm sure some would defend it as free speech, but personally it turns me off.  When somebody is posting a spew of profanity they have no credibility in my book so I don't care what they have to say.  I don't like having to wade through that.[/QUOTE]

I generally agree.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » February 27th, 2012, 1:07 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
How do you guys feel about that?  Do you mind all that garbage?   I'm sure some would defend it as free speech, but personally it turns me off.  
[/QUOTE]

Those people that defend it as free speech don't know what they are talking about.

The "freedom of speech" (as defined in the U.S. Bill of Rights) prohibits the government from blocking free speech. It has absolutely nothing to do with the private sector (which would include internet message boards). 

I don't know how it works in other countries.

Return to “Video Games General”