2012/3/29: Playstation 3: House of the Dead Overkill: Extended Cut, Killzone 3, The Shoot

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Paul1231

2012/3/29: Playstation 3: House of the Dead Overkill: Extended Cut, Killzone 3, The Shoot

Postby Paul1231 » March 31st, 2012, 12:20 pm

I have not played Killzone 3, but from your review and what I have read on this thread so far, I have to say that I think that you should probably do your main review of the game in a way that mimics how everyone else will be playing it.  While I completely understand your frustration with Sony and the patches, I think reviewing it without them, and not plainly stating this in your review, is a disservice to the reader and might make you seem a bit too "old fashioned" to be taken seriously as a game critic when, and if, people end up playing the game and not experiencing all the patch-related problems you experienced.  Until I came to this thread it hadn't occurred to me that the game I might eventually play would not have these issues.  You run the risk of readers thinking to themselves "I should probably look elsewhere for reviews of the current generation because this guy does not review the game in the state that I will be playing it".  I know that's a bit how I feel.  I was excited to hear what you had to say about Killzone 3 because I have heard things about it that make me want to get it, but your review doesn't give me a complete picture of what I can expect from the game, so I can't really use it as reference.  For all I know, you might have been happier with the game overall if not for the glitches and annoyances that made you less appreciative of the game's strengths.

a1

Postby a1 » March 31st, 2012, 12:59 pm

I don't get all the criticism of House of the Dead Overkill. The dialogue was stupid but have a couple beers and it's silly fun. The gameplay is plenty of fun though, especially with a friend, and that's what matters most.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » March 31st, 2012, 3:41 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic][QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Why is it always Sony's fault? Guerilla are the ones who developed and allegedly play tested Killzone 3.

Would you blame Microsoft for a buggy Halo game?[/QUOTE]

Well, it does say "Sony" on the front of the box.  Maybe I should call out the lead developer or the project manager instead?  Sorry, but it all starts at the top.

The Halo games are actually extremely polished - and I've played every one of them off-line.
[/QUOTE]

He said "would" you blame Microsoft for a buggy Halo game.  He didn't say Halo is buggy.  I'm surprised that you seem to be missing the point here, Dave.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 31st, 2012, 10:27 pm

In that case yes I would.  I have no allegiance to any of these companies.  I just call it as I see them.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 13th, 2012, 4:42 am

"The normal controller is the way to go, but constantly pressing the right thumbstick can be annoying." - Critic on Killzone 3

You should have switched to the "Alternate" control scheme in the game menu. It uses a standard fps control scheme, with R3 being melee - like almost every other fps or tps game (Halo, CoD, Gears, etc). And if you found the reticule was bouncing around too much, you should have tried to adjust the X/Y sensitivity. I'm currently using 50% on both, myself - and it controls awesome. Also, how bout that jetpack? So much fun! :~)

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 15th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Can't say I liked the House of the Dead Overkill or Killzone 3 reviews. 

Like someone else already mentioned, by playing it offline you're experiencing the game in a different way than probably 99% of other gamers who experience Killzone 3, who happen to have their PS3 online.  The patches that fixed the game's glitches wouldn't have been an issue at all.  Now people are going to read this review and stay away from purchasing it because they think the game is full of glitches that ruin the experience.  There should have at least been a disclaimer in the review saying your Killzone 3 experience was without the patches that fixed said glitches.

HotDO sure has a different score from the Wii version...B vs.....D?!  Very odd considering the PS3 version has better graphics and (by what most people say) more precise control via Move.  I realize Critic has now gone back and changed his score for the Wii version to a C (I reeeeeally don't agree with him going back in time to change his scores BTW) but still, this game does not deserve a D.  Who cares if the high score screen can only be accessed online?  Most PS3 users ARE ONLINE.  Don't knock the game for that.  Most games these days feature online components in one way or another.  This is nothing new.

I'd have to give those two reviews a thumbs down.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2012, 2:04 am

In regards to high scores, they should always be displayed offline as well as online. The internet servers are not eternal and they sometimes don't last very long, I can mention on top of my head FIFA World cup 2010, they're already down, and the game came out 2 years ago or so. Being able to access high scores
offline is important if you plan on keeping and playing your games in the future. Dave is right, offline high scores should always be available.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » May 16th, 2012, 4:22 am

[QUOTE=Suplexmachine]Like someone else already mentioned, by playing it offline you're experiencing the game in a different way than probably 99% of other gamers who experience Killzone 3, who happen to have their PS3 online.  The patches that fixed the game's glitches wouldn't have been an issue at all.  [/QUOTE]

The Critic has stated that he has his Xbox360 online, though we don't know whether he downloads patches for games; I personally don't recall him ever stating he did. Downloading a few XBLA games isn't the same thing.

That said, maybe the critic could add a comment somewhere on the site stating something like; "I review games as they come in the box" or "I review games with the latest online patches; when you can no longer get these patches, your experience may be different"? Just to put something in plain sight for everyone to see, that confirms.

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 16th, 2012, 10:02 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]In regards to high scores, they should always be displayed offline as well as online. The internet servers are not eternal and they sometimes don't last very long, I can mention on top of my head FIFA World cup 2010, they're already down, and the game came out 2 years ago or so. Being able to access high scores
offline is important if you plan on keeping and playing your games in the future. Dave is right, offline high scores should always be available.
[/QUOTE]

While I agree with that, I've also been experiencing online leader boards being down since the Dreamcast age, so I don't really fault companies for taking them down.  I'm used to it.  It costs money to keep servers up.  Why keep a server up for a 2010 game when they're two iterations past it?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 16th, 2012, 11:54 pm

No one in his right mind should expect these servers to exist permanently, which is why it's important to preserve offline options. A game with a strong
online focus should still be designed with that in mind. How complicated is it to implement offline high scores in this day and age?

Return to “Review Feedback”