Disappointed in the moderators today

General and high profile video game topics.
Burk1

Postby Burk1 » April 17th, 2012, 9:08 pm

I have no idea if this post will be allowed based on my earlier experience. I have encountered my first taste of censorship on this site today,unfortunately. I tried to post in another thread regarding a touchy subject about use of certain words and phrases. I used heavy sarcasm,but nothing offensive or inappropriate. I pointed out the slippery slope of editing work to appease a small segment,and brought up the point that anyone can find something to be offended about if they tried.I used the example that I am overweight,yet I don't complain that "fat" is used in reviews. And if you don't think that fat people are subject to ridicule,prejudice or hate,then you are living with your head in the sand. I also brought up the fact that this site is for gamers,and the true fans of this site know Dave has no intention of offending anyone.It actually seems some member(s) of this board signed up particularly to complain about this non-issue by rehashing a thread that had been quiet for over 2 years. I finished by saying he(the VGC) does a great job,and should just continue what he has always done,which is lighthearted yet spot on game reviews.
  This was never posted. There are previous posts in this thread that bash Americans,religion,and recently claims that if your not a minority of some sort,you cannot understand oppression (which is ridiculous) .Was my post more offensive than those topics?After my un-posted message several were allowed that did not go along with my point of view. Are we now only allowing ideas that are politically correct or go along with the point of view of the moderators? I thought this was a forum to discuss and exchange ideas,as long as they are not hateful or inflammatory.I hope everyone is bothered by the fact that this type of censoring is happening. After all, what kind of board is it when you can only talk about things that everyone agrees with? I would hope that even if you,the reader, do not agree with my viewpoint, it would bother you that you never got a chance to see it.

Glitchologteam1

Postby Glitchologteam1 » April 17th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I don't even see the point of having moderator validate your comment even with the recent subscription to the forum feature. They should only control guest message

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » April 18th, 2012, 10:56 am

Sux don't it. Unfortunately almost all forums have moderators that shouldn't be moderating.

I used to post more often, but after seeing a few disappear for the lamest of reasons I started posting less. I also don't post as much. It sux spending several minutes writing something just to find that some moderator doesn't like your opinion & blocks it.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » April 18th, 2012, 11:26 am

Actually, I can see why the thread did not go through. I know what your thread was referring to, and I think the only reason why the first thread was allowed was due to it referring to certain words being used in VGC's reviews. From what it seems Burk, your thread may have been too far removed from the original thread.

I've stated this many times here: I enjoy talking politics, religion, culture, etc., but I don't particularly enjoy seeing it at VGC's site. I come here to get away from that stuff.

Burk, you brought up the phrase "slippery slope", and I think that applies here. If your thread is approved, then that will allow others to post threads that don't pertain to video games. And this site is dedicated to video games.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play Food Fight on my 360.

mesk1

Postby mesk1 » April 18th, 2012, 12:27 pm

I have to agree with the OP on this one.I commend the critic for not wanting his forum to turn into the cess pool that many other forums has become,but personal approval of every post,even from people with over a dozen or so posts that has never sworn,or cuss before? Its impossible to hold a conversation with anyone since by the time the post is approved,ive moved on.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » April 18th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I agree with mesk and the OP on this as well. While I can appreciate that Dave wants to have good forum standards, this whole notion of having to "wait for approval" on any messages posted (including this very one I am typing right now), is ridiculous. This is the only forum I have ever been on that does this. And, I am always wondering if my post will be edited, or just out-right deleted by an overzealous mod.

Really, if you are registered to the site and have above 10 posts, I see no reason to have folks "wait for approval" on messages. If, after the fact, someone posts something that goes against the TOS, a mod can come in and edit or delete the post. Shouldn't be the other way around.

Ian

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » April 18th, 2012, 3:03 pm

I am glad to see so many agreeing with me. Again, I don't have the expectation that anyone will agree with me, but if the language and content are approriate,why censor me?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 18th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Like a foul call in basketball, these things are subjective.  I'm sure the moderator had a good reason for removing it.  Or they could have made a mistake.  It happens.  In general the moderating has first-rate.  This is the first complaint I've received in many months.

As for the approval process, I feel a lot better knowing someone is vetting each message.  Even if you're registered, somebody could break into your account and use it to post something offensive or obscene.  That would be horrible.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 19th, 2012, 9:40 am

I'll chime in since I'm one of the moderators.  No I wasn't the one who deleted the post and from the sounds of it I probably would have approved it.  That being said, these things aren't perfect and mistakes can certainly be made.  I'm extremely lenient and in the five years I've been doing this I've probably deleted 25 posts.  Honestly its pretty rare. I attribute it to the quality of people that post here.  You guys are some of the best I've ever encountered on the web.  Everyone is very respectful and shares great opinions.  

I think that's important to note.  Think about how mature/intelligent the conversation is in the thread in question.  Hell, the thread is a few years old and we never had to lock it up!  That's impressive given the touchy subject matter.

As a moderator I don't ever try to censor anyone, and if you have an email address or way to message you I would certainly contact you prior to deleting a post (especially if you're a regular forum poster).  Honestly, 99% of the posts I've had to delete were from brand new users that came in here and tried to stir up some ruckus.  

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » April 19th, 2012, 11:02 am

@Burk

I'm the one who said you can't understand oppression unless you're a member of a minority group. I'm also white, straight, I've been both thin and fat, and know there's all kinds of horrors in life awaiting for everyone, no matter who you are...

You don't want details. They don't belong here.

I want to know why your post was censored. You raised a really good point, one that deserved an answer.

@JustLikeHeaven is there any way to make it a rule that more than one moderator needs to agree a post is inappropriate before it is completely deleted?

Return to “Video Games General”