Which version do you prefer of the same game, PS3 or Xbox

General and high profile video game topics.
Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 6th, 2012, 1:23 am

I was just wondering what you guys thought about if you owned both systems and you wanted a game that was multiplatform. I usually end up picking up the PS3 version simply because the blue ray discs are a lot more sturdy and hard to scratch, along with I like the cases and designs better then the 360 versions. This isn't always the case, but I do tend to prefer the sleeker, smaller case designs over the DVD sized 360 cases.

The only time I don't do that is if I heard a game is vastly superior or has some alternate content available to it that I'm interested in.

Thoughts?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 6th, 2012, 1:41 am

If it's the rare game available across all three platforms, I'll generally automatically discount the Wii version due to not being HD (Such as Epic Mickey 2 if I end up buying a version of it). About the only exception I can think of has been buying Mega Man 9 and 10 on the Wii.

Between the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions, I generally go with the Xbox 360 version. Prefer Xbox Live and prefer the 360's gamepad. And with the MadCatz SFIV pad, even games that require decent digital control are able to be enjoyed on the 360.

Only been a few exceptions where I went with the PS3 version. Birds of Prey and Birds of Steel since it allows me to use my Saitek X-52 throttle/stick combination from the PC. And I own both versions of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection since I'm a sucker and couldn't resist.

Can't think of anything else that I've bought on the PS3 that is also available to North American Xbox 360 owners.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 6th, 2012, 3:35 am

I'd go with the 360 version every time, as the load times are usually shorter and the controls are better, though maybe that's because i'm much more used to the 360 controller then the dualshock.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » May 6th, 2012, 9:05 am

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Rev
I usually end up picking up the PS3 version simply because the blue ray discs are a lot more sturdy and hard to scratch, along with I like the cases and designs better then the 360 versions.[/QUOTE]

I, too, usually go for the PS3 version.  There are a couple points here that people rarely, if ever, talk about.

The blu ray disc is extremely difficult to scratch.  In my entire PS3 library of 80 games I have one single scratch on Ninja Gaiden Sigma and even THAT doesn't affect the way the game plays.  The rest of my PS3 collection, the games are in mint condition and I've even bought games that have been rented to dozens of people through Gamefly.  The 360 discs, on the other hand, are DVDs and can scratch much, much easier.  I've acquired a 360 and own about 20 games, most of which are used, since it's so late into the generation.  About half my games are noticeably scratched.  To be fair, I haven't found any problem with the gameplay... yet.  I've had many employees at the different used gaming stores I frequent tell me that they've had many, MANY 360 games returned to them because they wouldn't play properly due to scratches... and not a single PS3 game the entire generation.  This is a huge deal for collectors.

I also feel the cases are far better on the PS3.  I love the smaller, sleeker design.  And usually the plastic on the cases is much sturdier on the PS3 case vs. the traditional DVD sized case on the 360.  Both of these are great points that I don't think our collectors on the VGC forum think about enough.

I actually also agree that having all games come on a single disc is a big deal, too.  If Lost Odyssey wasn't a 360 exclusive, it would've come on one disc on the PS3 instead of FOUR discs on the 360.  Even Rage, a relatively short game, came on three discs on the 360 and one on the PS3.

I've been told for years that "multiplats are FAR superior on the 360."  It's simply not true.  I've now had the chance to play many multiplats at the same time on my TV.  I fire up the game on both the 360 and the PS3 and switch between the channels to see how they look and play.  Even some of the games that are considered the worst PS3 versions (Orange Box, Bayonetta, Crysis 2) are BARELY better on the 360, though the patch MUST be downloaded for Bayonetta to be playable.  And now in 2012, there are just as many games that have the PS3 as the main development platform (like Portal 2, LA Noire, Devil May Cry 4, Final Fantasy XIII, etc).  In the end it's a wash.  And even when the games are legitimately better on one platform, which is exceedingly rare, it's barely better and unless you're playing the games at the same time (like I've done) you wouldn't know the difference.

Basically, if you're a PS3 only owner and wondering if the 360 version of games really are better (like I did), stop worrying.

Where I feel the 360 really is better is the controller for FPS games.  The triggers are much nicer.  FPS's on the PS3 has shooting and grenades controlled by the shoulder buttons, which I think works great, too.  Just not as good as the 360's controller.  The controller is also heavier and feels better made.  The d-pad sucks, though.  As Leo said, get a SFIV mad catz fightpad.  They are rare in Gamestops, but Mad Catz still has plenty on their website.  Also, the loading times ARE better on the 360, as are patches for the system.  This isn't really the place to discuss it, but I feel it's somewhat unfair for the Critic to malign PS3 games for being "buggy" (Killzone 3, which plays flawlessly post-patch, by the way).  Basically, he's reviewing 360 games patched and PS3 games unpatched and not mentioning it in the reviews.  He has his 360 online and his PS3 offline; he has his reasons for that and they are legitimate, but it should be mentioned in the reviews.  But that's for another thread, I guess.  Anyway, I purchased 360 exclusives, all First Person Shooters, and very few multiplats on the 360.  All the rest of the games, I buy on PS3, including digital downloads, since most of the games I buy on PSN/XBL are 2D modern and retro games that work better with the PS3's great d-pad.  Both are great systems, and we as gamers are lucky to have such incredible systems and great games.  Heck, throw the Wii in their, too.  Great games on the Wii, though it's library of truly great games is about a third the size of either the 360's or PS3's.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 6th, 2012, 10:26 am

Most people these days go with the general consensus from 2007, "multiplats are better on the 360". But we're now in 2012, and what might have been true in 2007 simply doesn't hold up today, I wish more people realized that.
Thanks for the good read!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2012, 11:38 am

JWK,

Good post.  I have to admit that while I used to strongly prefer multi-platform games on the 360, now I don't have a very strong opinion on it.

Still, I find it takes a longer time to get a new game up and running on the PS3, mainly due to lengthy system updates.  The other week I popped in the new Tiger Woods and it took me at least a half hour to reach the main menu. 

Another thing that affects me a lot is when games insist on installing themselves on the hard disk.  This is a phenomenon that is pretty much exclusive to the PS3, although it has subsided in recent years.  Despite having the "big" hard drive (for a launch system anyway), my drive is now full, so when a new game needs to be installed, I have to go through a lot of trouble to clear out space.  You may not have encountered this yet, but you might someday.

Dave

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 6th, 2012, 12:40 pm

Funny, several of my used 360 games had scratches, and only one was unplayable after a certain point, the rest worked just fine in spite of scratches.

I also prefer 360 games because I don't have to download half a dozen updates and wait an hour before playing them like you do with the PS3 versions, so I still say 360 versions are better.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » May 6th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Though it can sometimes just depend on the game. For the most part for me, I go with the Ps3. I have been using my 360 lately just for its exclusives that I cant get on the Ps3. The Witcher 2 being one for instance.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » May 6th, 2012, 5:52 pm

I'd definitely go with the 360. I love playing both systems, but the 360 has better controls and less loading times than the PS3 versions. While I can say the PS3 has great exclusives, the multi console games play second rate to the 360 games.

Plus, if both used the Kinect or Move, I'd go with the Kinect!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 7th, 2012, 8:44 am

[Quote]I actually also agree that having all games come on a single disc is a big deal, too[/Quote]

Actually, this was another big reason I opt for the PS3 version a lot of the time. I worked at a new and used book/movie/game/music store so I can see the discs a lot of the time before I buy the game. We even own a buffer that I can use to remove all the scratches from my discs. Still, even with this as the reason I still prefer the PS3 discs simply because the whole game usually fits on one disc. I have always hated the notion of switching discs in between games. This was a much bigger problem 2 generations ago, with the PS1 and Saturn, but I never have quite got over it.

I actually prefer the PS3 controls versus the 360 for everything except fighter games (I don't enjoy FPS at all so that doesn't count for me). I have a much easier time pulling combos and chaining together moves on the 360 controller. Probably due to all my hours playing Dead or Alive and Capcom vs. SNK 2 back on the original xbox (with the controller s, not the fat and clunky original controller).

I had never seen high def before this generation, so the games that look slightly worst on the PS3, never have looked that bad to me. Now that developers seem to have more experience with the PS3, this is apparently less of an issue then what once was.

As for the games on the PS3 that require to be downloaded onto the actual console (Heavy Rain comes to mind, although that was a PS3 exclusive), that is a really annoying issue. It takes forever and is quite a pain in the a**.  Thankfully, that is the only game I own that has made me have to have to download the game to the hard drive. I honestly thought my disc was defective when my PS3 prompted me to do this. I own somewhere between 50-60 PS3 games, and thankfully I have had very few problems with this.

Return to “Video Games General”