8/3/2006: Atari 2600: Basketball, Keystone Kapers, Pele's Championship Soccer

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2006, 6:12 pm

These reviews were pretty lean, so I spruced them up with more details.  It's remarkable how the original reviews were dated back to summer 1999!  This site has been around forever.

hi there

Postby hi there » August 3rd, 2006, 6:24 pm

Critic, have you ever concidered leaving the orignial versions of reviews on the site?

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » August 3rd, 2006, 6:27 pm

I remember seeing a print-ad for Basketball on Atariage.com. It had some basketball star(can't remember who, probly Dr J), holding a joystick, with the game running on a tv next to him, the headline read "Atari Basketball challenged me". It's freaking hilliarious.

Keystone Kapers.........from an art-direction standpoint, I'd like to see the cop clobber the theif with his billy club once he catches him. Not in a violent police-brutality kind of way, but in a funny cartoonish way. I think it would have added even more humor and charm to the game.

welcometoyourdoom

Postby welcometoyourdoom » August 3rd, 2006, 7:56 pm

Hey Critic, nice 2600 reviews. I noticed that for some reason the main 2600 review page has a bunch of Lynx reviews mixed in.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2006, 8:53 pm

[QUOTE=hi there]

Critic, have you ever concidered leaving the orignial versions of reviews on the site?

[/QUOTE]

Not really.  I generally consider the updated reviews to be a lot better.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2006, 8:53 pm

[QUOTE=welcometoyourdoom]

Hey Critic, nice 2600 reviews. I noticed that for some reason the main 2600 review page has a bunch of Lynx reviews mixed in.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up about the Lynx reviews!  I fixed the problem.

Dave

russ

Postby russ » August 3rd, 2006, 9:17 pm

Keystone Kapers was an old favorite from childhood. Makes you realize that Activision had tons of great games - this one isn't even one of the more famous ones.

doug09091

Postby doug09091 » August 3rd, 2006, 10:42 pm

Hey critic, I don't have time to check now but I think you got confused about the Airplane movie.... I owned an O2 back then and I am almost sure it featured the O2 version of basketball... I remember thinking, wow, an O2 game in a movie ...

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 4th, 2006, 5:47 am

No, they used Atari Basketball in AIRPLANE. Oddly the Atari COMPUTER Basketball was near-identical despite more power!

I wanted to say, while Keystone Kapers has very good graphics it is far from the BEST on 2600....what about later games like SOLARIS, ROAD RUNNER...those REALLY pushed the envelope! Even some earlier IMAGIC games like Demon Attack and Cosmic Ark and the arcade-like TAPPER; heck even Activision's own BARNSTORMING had better graphics IMHO. The fact that KK had "spruced up"
graphics on the 5200 shows it was a bit sparse....just empty show cases, no windows, no customers, etc...
BTW, here is a tip for KK players: normally the elevator is to be avoided, too long to wait, right!? Wait till it hits the TOP FLOOR then hit RESET! Now RUN FAST! You should reach the elevator JUST as it gets to the bottom floor-keep on ridin' longs u can!

Tremo01

Postby Tremo01 » August 4th, 2006, 2:09 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=hi there]

[/QUOTE]

Not really.  I generally consider the updated reviews to be a lot better.
[/QUOTE]
But sometimes you do mention how you screwed up in the first review and totally missed the point... We actually want to know how bad you missed it!

Return to “Review Feedback”