2012/5/22: GameCube: Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, One Piece: Grand Battle

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 22nd, 2012, 8:26 pm

Check out these two new GameCube reviews!  One Piece is a treat for anime fans, and I really liked Billy Hatcher despite its flaws.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 22nd, 2012, 9:49 pm

I love One Piece all though I have no interest in Grand Battle. I was wondering if you were possibly planning on reviewing One Piece Unlimited Adventure? I've heard it is pretty good but I keep forgetting to pick it up.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the reviews. I also forgot about Billy Hatcher. I've heard it is a pretty good title overall, glad to hear it got a B. I'll have to pick it up.

a1

Postby a1 » May 22nd, 2012, 10:07 pm

I've considered buying Billy Hatcher a few times, and you've just pushed me to get it. Thanks.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 23rd, 2012, 1:42 pm

I liked the cube ... I was disappointed that when I bought it for the exclusive res evil 4 ... it was then released on the PS2... and it looked better....
needed more great games but was the best looking of the systems... and had the best Judge Dredd game... also busta move 4 aka puzzle bobble was awesome...

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » May 23rd, 2012, 6:24 pm

Totally agree on Billy Hatcher. It's one of my favorites for the Gamecube. In fact, I just played it today! Enjoyable in small doses, but those doses are worth it!

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 24th, 2012, 11:49 am

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I liked the cube ... I was disappointed that when I bought it for the exclusive res evil 4 ... it was then released on the PS2... and it looked better....[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure RE4 looks better on GCN than on PS2, but the PS2 version of course had some added content.

a1

Postby a1 » May 24th, 2012, 9:34 pm

[QUOTE=Suplexmachine][QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I liked the cube ... I was disappointed that when I bought it for the exclusive res evil 4 ... it was then released on the PS2... and it looked better....[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure RE4 looks better on GCN than on PS2, but the PS2 version of course had some added content.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, the graphics were downgraded for the PS2 version, but it had the bonus missions. You can go with the Wii version for the best of both worlds.

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 24th, 2012, 10:00 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=Suplexmachine][QUOTE=Astrosmasher]I liked the cube ... I was disappointed that when I bought it for the exclusive res evil 4 ... it was then released on the PS2... and it looked better....[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the graphics were downgraded for the PS2 version, but it had the bonus missions. You can go with the Wii version for the best of both worlds.
[/QUOTE]

Which is exactly the version I own!  Sometimes, being a late adopter actually pays off. $9.99 brand new too...gotta' love Amazon.com

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 25th, 2012, 10:26 am

[QUOTE=Rev]I love One Piece all though I have no interest in Grand Battle. I was wondering if you were possibly planning on reviewing One Piece Unlimited Adventure? I've heard it is pretty good but I keep forgetting to pick it up.

[/QUOTE]

I'm a big One Piece fan myself, and never found the video games to be more than "passable at best". The fighting games don't even make the slightest attempt at balancing characters, and the adventure games are largely annoying collect-a-thon fetch quests. The writing is good and does the franchise justice, and if you just want to play around with the characters from a show you like, they do the job, but if you want actually good video games, you should look elsewhere.

The best game is probably One Piece: Pirates' Carnival, a collection of various zany sports games, including a soccer game that's pretty similar to the Mario Strikers game. It's pretty shallow as a single player experience, but it's great multiplayer fun.

Return to “Review Feedback”