Playing Video Games with Dad?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » June 22nd, 2012, 10:03 pm

I remember playing Crash Team Racing with my dad and sister almost every Sunday for awhile....

CaptainCrunch1

Postby CaptainCrunch1 » June 23rd, 2012, 10:59 am

In the 80s/90s, my dad especially loved realistic flighting sims on the Mac (Flight Simulator, Hellcats, F/A-18 Hornet, A-10 Attack!) - but I caught him playing Jungle Strike on my Sega Genesis in the night once too . Sadly, he passed away before he could experience games like Ace Combat.

porynog1

Postby porynog1 » June 23rd, 2012, 12:46 pm

My dad and I used to play Super Mario Bros. 3 and Gradius III together all the time in the 90's. Oh, and Mario Kart 64!

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » June 23rd, 2012, 11:55 pm

My dad started me out on pinball machines.

When we got a Vic-20 he used to play the adventure games like The Count while I was in school then gloat when I would see him later as he told me that he made it so far in the game.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » June 26th, 2012, 3:37 pm

My dad has always been an on-and-off gamer through the years. And he's always been a retro gamer by necessity rather than choice-- i.e., he's always been too cheap to buy a new $200-$300 console, so even in the late 90's when I was playing Playstation he was still playing our old NES and buying $5 games from the local game shop. I remember him being big into Zelda and Dragon Warrior.

Currently, he only has a PC, but he has a few emulators on there. RPGs were always his thing, and over the past couple years he's been working on the Final Fantasy series, having finished FF V through IX so far. Final Fantasy was my favorite series growing up, so it gives us something interesting to talk about when I visit him. Sometimes we'll watch each other play a game, but we never really have played 2-player games together.

As a side note, I hear that my mom was a big gamer back in the early 80s too, mostly Atari and then a little NES. She once told me that Dig Dug was her favorite game back then. But she hasn't touched a video game for at least 20 to 25 years now and shows no interest in them.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 2nd, 2012, 3:32 pm

My dad isn't the type of person that plays a whole lot of videogames.  My first console was an Atari 2600 which used to be hooked up in my parent's bedroom.  I remember he played a baseball game, frogger and River Raid.  As me and my brother got older it became "ours" and he played much less. 

When we got the NES he was known to watch us play Super Mario Bros. and Castlevania.  After a few minutes of watching us suck at the game he would grunt, "gimme that controller".  Then he would proceed to play.  I remember he was one of those players that when jumping over long pits in SMB he would move the controller across the length of his body, in hopes that it would guide Mario to safety.  It usually didn't work and he would mutter a swear under his breath as Mario fell down a bottomless pit.

He was positively addicted to games like Tetris.  Dr. Mario in particular would keep him entertained for hours.   He would take turns passing the controller back and forth with my mom as they advanced through the levels.  I bet I could hook up a NES with Dr. Mario right now and he would play the ever loving [expletive] out of it!  

The only think I've seen him try recently was Wii Sports.  He did the bowling and the baseball.  He swung so hard during baseball that if he wasn't wearing the Wiimote strap he certainly would have destroyed the flat screen TV!

He does crosswords and all sorts of stuff to give his brain "exercise"...so I'm surprised he never got into the DS and all the Brain academy stuff.  Then again if he didn't see it on the news or read about it, he wouldn't have known it existed.  

In the rare event that my dad watches me play a new game he just has a sort of disgusted look on his face.  He marvels at some of the graphics (and usually points out how slutty and big breasted the woman are).  You can tell he isn't all that impressed though.  You just know he is thinking that games like River Raid kicked so much more ass.  And the older I get, the more I sort of agree with him.  I miss arcade style stuff more than ever.  

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » July 7th, 2012, 10:43 am

I dont remember what age i was, But I do remember my dad buying me a Coleco Gemini for christmas one year and a good bit of games, and he got into it for a while just as much as i did, we spent lots of time playing asteroids, pac man, i can remember him always wanting to play combat, it wore off for him, but as you can see, it turned me into a video game nut lol, but none the less was some fun times

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » September 5th, 2012, 4:24 pm

What a nice topic.   I remember my dad and I playing in the arcades in the late 70s, even lifting me high enough to see into the periscope of Sea Wolf, or operating the gas pedal while I steered in Night Driver.  He bought the family a home pong, an Odyssey 2, and later my Commodore 64.   Now I play all sorts of games with my daughters.

mackc1

Postby mackc1 » September 8th, 2012, 4:45 am

My dad and I still play video games together once a week! Im 41, and hes about 74! He would take us to the arcade in the early 80s. I usually had him just firing for me on phenox. No wonder he would sneek off and id see him getting his Battlezone on. Wed play star castle, and he cracked me up with his kamakaze approach,(a technique he still applies to most shooters. I didnt bother showing him much genesis or ps1 games, but had a feeling hed like red faction. Sure enough, it reminded him of operation wolf from the arcade, and he took the time to get the controld down. We spent a few years playn the 2 player mode of RF, teaming up against the bots.Finally, he discovered Conflict Vietnam, and he liked how the bots were more aware of what was going on. We beat that together on hard, now were plying through Conflict global terror on hard. Neither of us are ready for ps3, cause i guess we like to wait for prices to go down, but im doing my research, and it sounds like cod world at war is the game for us! Man, im sad to read the posts about the guys who lost their dad. Its a bummer i dont do well with girls, but im grateful that i get to go over to my parents once a week to play games with dad, and have dinner n desert. Oh, my dad is nuts for rocket launchers and grenades, and is a self admitted "Rocket Whore! "!

Return to “Classic Gaming”