Anyone know how to repair Atari 2600s?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » July 17th, 2012, 3:10 am

Mine works almost perfectly. The problem is is that sometimes the picture goes out for a few seconds, then pops back in. This, as one might imagine, sucks. I figured out how to open the thing up, I'm just wondering if there's a quick fix to this or a place I can send it or what not?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 17th, 2012, 1:39 pm

I've never heard of your problem. Out of curiousity though, is it a modern HDTV it's being played on? Sometimes if the resolution isn't quite friendly enough for an HDTV, all kinds of strange behavior can go on including intermittent things like this. Just a thought.

I'm no repair expert, but if it isn't quite right and requires repair, you will find all kinds of people that are experts with the internals of this console that will be better able to offer advice to you over at the AtariAge forums about what the problem might be and suggestions on what to do to repair it if it's out of your league.

And if all else fails, it also has a very active marketplace where you'd be able to source a replacement for likely less than you'd pay at somewhere like Ebay.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 19th, 2012, 6:53 pm

I agree with Leo.  Try it on an old-fashioned CRT television and see if it exhibits the same behavior.  You also might want to try a new power supply, in case that's on the fritz.

Return to “Classic Gaming”