2012/6/19: Intellivision: DK II, Turbo

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2012, 9:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.  You know I would never lead you wrong!

CarlMuellerJr1

Postby CarlMuellerJr1 » July 31st, 2012, 10:24 pm

Snakeboy and everyone else… Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad to know that my game is in the hands of people who are really enjoying it. I'm also glad that someone appreciates the high difficulty level. :-)

Critic, now that you're reviewing DK on other systems, do you think you'll do something like a "King of Kong" and declare which version is best? Or at least discuss your opinion on one of the forums?

Carl

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 1st, 2012, 8:05 pm

Carl,
Thanks for chiming in.  It's cool to hear from a real game programmer every now and then.

As for the best Donkey Kong, it might just be your Donkey Kong 2.  The NES version and N64 (unlocked in Donkey Kong Country 64) are fantastic, but DK2 has more replay value with so many more screens and characters to choose from.

The only thing that holds DK2 back is having to use the Intellivision controller, which is not the most comfortable or precise instrument.

Still, I'd probably give it the nod.  Anybody else want to chime in??

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » August 1st, 2012, 8:38 pm

I hate the hate that is bestowed on the Intellivision controller!  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!

No, seriously......I can understand some "minor" complaints about it.  But compared to the 5200, Colecovision and 7800 standard controllers it is superior in every way.

Or I have small thumbs.......either way give me an Intellivision II controller any day and I'm happy.

The precision of control on DK II is tight and accurate.  With the additional screens and aracde-perfect sound effects it gets my vote as the best.

CarlMuellerJr1

Postby CarlMuellerJr1 » August 2nd, 2012, 5:12 pm

Critic,

I really appreciate hearing your opinion, and I'm glad to hear that it's D2K after all. I know not everyone is comfortable with the Intellivision controller, and I certainly admit there are some ergonomic issues, particularly with the side buttons and keypad, that really turn people off.

However, I find the disc very comfortable and precise; for example, it's much easier for me to slide my thumb around the disc and to achieve diagonals, or "sub-diagonals" accurately, but I find it extremely difficult to do the same with a Nintendo "D-button".

Also, I've noticed that one reason people have such a hard time with the side buttons is that they don't hold the controller properly. If you're right-handed, you should cradle the controller in your LEFT hand, and use your fore and index fingers to manipulate the side buttons on the RIGHT side of the controller, while using your RIGHT-hand on the disc, or keypad, as necessary. (Perhaps that sounds more complicated than it really is, though.)

Thanks again,

Carl

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 2nd, 2012, 6:30 pm

I think I have a bigger problem with the side buttons on the Intellivision controller than the disc.  You need to press very hard, which makes your hand cramp up.  At least with the Colecovision the side buttons were easy to press.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 2nd, 2012, 7:06 pm

Critic, do you use an Intellivision II? The side buttons of the Intellivision II's controller are much more difficult to press than those on the original model.

Ikaris1

Postby Ikaris1 » August 3rd, 2012, 4:09 am

[QUOTE]Also, I've noticed that one reason people have such a hard time with the side buttons is that they don't hold the controller properly. If you're right-handed, you should cradle the controller in your LEFT hand, and use your fore and index fingers to manipulate the side buttons on the RIGHT side of the controller, while using your RIGHT-hand on the disc, or keypad, as necessary. (Perhaps that sounds more complicated than it really is, though.)[/QUOTE]
Very very interesting... I always did more or less... the opposite!!
The fact is that with every controller (pad or stick) I always use my left hand for directions and right hand for buttons but... I'll try that way!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 6th, 2012, 8:10 am

[QUOTE=Leo]Critic, do you use an Intellivision II? The side buttons of the Intellivision II's controller are much more difficult to press than those on the original model.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have both, but mainly use the Intellivision I due to the button issues.

Return to “Review Feedback”