POKEMON:TROZEI

The readers post their own reviews.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 2nd, 2006, 2:36 pm

POKEMON:TROZEI! Nintendo/DS gradeA!

Being a huge fan of the POKEMON "Tetris Attack" clone (can't recall the name-?) on GBColor system, I was enthralled to see the big "N" put the little besties into ANOTHER favorite Puzzle genre of mine, the "Bejeweled/Zookeeper" genre! POKEMON:TROZEI is a LOT like a speeded up version of zookeeper but with enough differences and new levels and animations to make it one of the best DS puzzle games yet-In fact I now put the top Ds puzzle games at: 1) TETRIS DS...2)POKEMON:TROZEI!...3)ZOOKEEPER...
4) POLARIUM and 5)METEOS....just MY preferances, mind you!

P:T Is much like Zookeeper: to clear a level you line up the same types of Pokemon in a vertical or horizontal row. But the differences are vast: The story mode is far deeper, with our gal heroine shown kicking A throughout the stages, in warehouses or sattelites or mobile labs shaped like huge scorpions (the game play screen is always the same though)....you choose the level on a world map. First thing you'll notice is the SPEED increase! Pokemon drop down like a dumptruck has dropped it's load all at once! At first it seems too fast but the game is actually very easy at first. In Zookeeper you lined up 3 animals, here you must line up FOUR or more pokemon by SLIDING sections on the screen. When you are successful you get TROZEI TIME-screen turns green and any two or more pokemon alligned ANYway dissapear, giving you bonus points and helping you clear the screen; plus there is the "wildcard" pokemon shaped like a purple blob that matches ANYTHING! You get "bonus coins" for clearing certain levels and can always go back to training camp if you get rusty!

As mentioned, the between-level animations are AMAZING stuff, real Cartoon Network quality! The ingame graphics are sparse but more than seviceable; puzzle games need not be complex and unlike ZOOKEEPER (which used small ICONS) here you do get real, full blown POKEMON to catch. The larger shapes are more fun to play with. Control is fine with the stylus, though you are prompted to "touch the screen" way too often to progress. There should be some cases of "just end the thing!", but I guess on the plus you get lots of PAUSES! My biggest gripe would be the Sound. Fine on the map and animated screens but VERY bland in-game; oh well, at least it does not grate on your nerves like ZOOKEEPER.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a great BEJEWELED/ZOOKEEPER or -stretching it a bit-Tetris-puyo-puyo type game(with some COLUMNS thrown in for good measure!) P:T! is for you. One of my MOST ADDICTIVE DS games ever, now supplanting ZOOKEEPER-to ME, that sez it all!

Nintendo: Now how about DS TETRIS ATTACK!?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 3rd, 2006, 7:14 am

I don't generally buy anything with Pokemon in the title, but I also see this game going for cheap, so I might pick it up.  I just took your advice and got New SMB though, and I'm playing Animal Crossing and Mario Kart online a lot, so it might have to wait a bit.

Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » August 3rd, 2006, 9:50 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I don't generally buy anything with Pok'emon in the title[/QUOTE]

I DO generally buy everything with Pok'emon in the title. I am a HUGE Pok'efan! If anyone here gets the Boomerang channel (a channel with old cartoons 24/7 that is except for G4 and ESPN my favorite channel) they just started airing the original show. Tonight, the 7th and 8th episodes air! This was actually a pretty dark cartoon, or at least the darkest thing with Pok'emon in the title to date. In just episodes 3-6 alone, I have seen a Pok'emon truck wreck and injure hundreds of Pok'emon, a bloody and bruised Farfetch'd, a bloody and bruised Psyduck, and an S&M chick, complete with a whip. Because of these dark elements, I have a new favorite anime. I absolutely love this show!

It comes on at the following time:

Eastern- 10pm

Central- 9pm

Mountain- 8pm

Pacific- 7pm

I just have one message for Nintendo:

GET OFF YOUR BUTTS AND MAKE A TEAM ROCKET ANIME OR GAME! TR Rulz!

PS I don't have Troezi yet, but I love the free demo on nintendo.com!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » August 3rd, 2006, 11:54 am

Wow boomerang is airing pokemon?  The show is what a decade old?  Now if they got getter robo that would be something to watch.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 3rd, 2006, 4:47 pm

[QUOTE=Koopa W.]Tonight, the 7th and 8th episodes air! This was actually a pretty dark cartoon, or at least the darkest thing with Pok'emon in the title to date. In just episodes 3-6 alone, I have seen a Pok'emon truck wreck and injure hundreds of Pok'emon, a bloody and bruised Farfetch'd, a bloody and bruised Psyduck, and an S&M chick, complete with a whip. Because of these dark elements, I have a new favorite anime. I absolutely love this show!
[/QUOTE]

Boomerang actually started airing the second part of the first season, so what you're seeing is actually episode 44 and up (The Fatfetch'd episode is episode 50).

And seriously, Pokemon, dark? It's somewhat risque at times, yes, but dark, no.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 4th, 2006, 5:50 am

One of my girlfreind's kids loved the POKEMON movies so I got to watch them too. They actually were not that bad! Not the best cartoon ever of course, but cute and very MAGNA-esque! No wonder kids CHOOSE YOU PIKACHU! (Gesundheit!)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 4th, 2006, 5:37 pm

One of the first rules of good writing is that you shouldn't use an acronym unless you spell it out first.  Is TROZEI a word??

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » August 4th, 2006, 6:53 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic] Is TROZEI a word?? [/QUOTE]

No, but it's not an acronym either.

Just like Phalanx and Abadox and Xevious and pretty much half the rest of the space shooters out there.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 5th, 2006, 6:37 am

I would LOVE to know what the heck TROZEI! (with an exclamation
point yet! Like old O2 games! Who does THAT anymore!) means...
I assume it is some Japanese word meaning "PILES OF LITTLE ANIMATED HEADS OF POKEMON BUT THAT DON'T FIT SO JUST TROZEI IT!"
or something? Xevious is an acronym for DEVIOUS I think. a VANGUARD is a lead ship in a battle, RAIDEN means Lightning (or fast as lightning) and ZANAC is just a damn silly name that sounds cool! (in many games like THUNDERFORCE, the title is the name of the ship, actually!)

a1

Postby a1 » August 5th, 2006, 3:19 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]
Xevious is an acronym for DEVIOUS I think.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you know what an acronym is. An acronym is a word formed from the first letters of other words. Maybe Xevious could be an acronym for "xylophone excitement viciously insues over ugly salmon".  Just pretend insues isn't spelled ensues.

Return to “Reader Reviews”