Wii U Predictions?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Wii U Predictions?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 7th, 2012, 10:33 am

My friend Chris was telling me how he thinks Wii U will be Nintendo's last gasp.  He thinks soon Nintendo will get out of hardware and just start making games for other systems.

I hope he's wrong.  I know what happened to Sega once they got out of the hardware business - they became a shadow of their former self.

What do you guys think?  I have to admit there hasn't been a tremendous amount of buzz surrounding the Wii U.

darkrage61

Wii U Predictions?

Postby darkrage61 » October 7th, 2012, 12:16 pm

I think Nintendo have plenty of fight left in them, lack of buzz dosen't really indicate much.  I think Sony's the one who could really be in trouble as they've been dead last in the race for years and they're attempts to appeal to the casual crowd with the third-rate Wii-mote knock-off "Move" didn't do anything to increase sales, the Vita has been outsold by the 3DS consistently, plus that whole PSN getting hacked thing has really lowered people's confidence in Sony. 

NewModelArmy1

Wii U Predictions?

Postby NewModelArmy1 » October 7th, 2012, 1:26 pm

I think it will sell well enough. I think it is hard to get "lightning in a bottle" twice in a row though. I am in the wait and see crowd. There are still so many games I want to play on my 360 and PS3 anyway, no need to spend all that dough on a new system.

steephen1

Wii U Predictions?

Postby steephen1 » October 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Considering that all of the pre-orders are sold out and that everyone loved the Wii (it STILL prints money!) I think Nintendo won't go down, the system seems to be the next generation of gaming, and will keep Nintendo going.

Irenicus1

Wii U Predictions?

Postby Irenicus1 » October 7th, 2012, 1:43 pm

From what I've heard preorders for the WiiU are selling out. That & being released right before Christmas sounds promising. Also there hasn't been a new console in ages so that should help sales.

As far as me, personally, I'm not very interested. Tablet controller isn't something that gets me excited. Motion controls were a much better gimmick & actually got me to buy a Wii even though I already had a 360.

Also from what I've heard is that the graphics will be on par with the 360 & PS3. If that is indeed true than I'm really bored w/ the WiiU already. If anyone can release a console w/ minimal graphical upgrades of 8 year-old systems & still be successful its Nintendo, but it sounds pretty depressing to me.

One more positive is that I've heard the WiiU is working harder on getting adult 3rd party games into the mix.

Mario5001

Wii U Predictions?

Postby Mario5001 » October 7th, 2012, 9:55 pm

What did you mean by "adult 3rd party games", Irenicus?

Blueguy1

Wii U Predictions?

Postby Blueguy1 » October 7th, 2012, 10:35 pm

I think it's going to be doing just fine.

Nintendo's audience is still very large, and if the Wii U succeeds at reviving Nintendo's hardcore audience, then it will be a tremendous success, maybe even Sony PS1 and PS2 success!

New Super Mario Bros. U will definitely bring millions of sales to the Wii U, so it should start off pretty well. Hopefully Nintendo can keep going after this.

Weekend_Warrior1

Wii U Predictions?

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » October 8th, 2012, 3:34 am

Honestly, I think once people get past the novelty of the new Wii U controller... they're going to realize that they basically just bought another Xbox 360/PS3 that just so happens to play Mario games. And then when Microsoft and Sony debut their new systems at E3 2013 and they're 10x more powerful than the Wii U, then all the Nintendo fanboys will silently cry on the inside and quickly revert back to their old "graphics don't matter to me" arguments.

steephen1

Wii U Predictions?

Postby steephen1 » October 8th, 2012, 11:20 am

Graphics DON'T matter. Funny to think you BASH a system that you think is only as powerful as a 2005 system, yet you think that 2005 system is all powerful. Who cares? I tend to focus strictly on my retro systems when collecting. I never thought Microsoft had any buisness in the console market. When the Xbox debuted, I stated that it might as well be a PC, and when I DID buy one, I was still not interested in a system with slightly polished ports. Nintendo has the GAMES! It's the GAMES that matter! Halo was boring as hell after Halo 2. Sony, they have uncharted and uhmmm, uhhhh, uhmmmm, uhhhhh and that's it. I have all three current gen systems, and the Wii has the games, which makes it my favorite. Nintendo is my only interest now, because they can STILL make great exclusive games!

Pacman0001

Wii U Predictions?

Postby Pacman0001 » October 8th, 2012, 11:29 am

Graphics DO matter, but design is more important than power, and fun matters more.

Back on topic...
People have been predicting Nintendo's demise for years now, so you should probably take said predictions with a grain of salt.  It can happen, but I doubt that it will happen soon.

Return to “Modern Gaming”