Favorite Resident Evil?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 8th, 2012, 11:29 am

Last night I was playing Resident Evil 2 and marveling at it.  Some of the game mechanics may seem awkward now (stiff controls, limited inventory) but the game itself is incredibly fun.  It's slow, cold, and calculated.  It feels like every room is a trap, and the tension is incredible.  Operation Raccoon City is garbage in comparison.

I've really enjoyed the more recent Resident Evil games like 4 and 5, and many consider 4 to be the pinnacle of the series.  However, now I'm starting to think these older editions are better than people remember.  If you haven't played the original trilogy for a while, now might be a good time.

That said, what is YOUR favorite Resident Evil game?

JustLikeHeaven1

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 8th, 2012, 11:58 am

I think Resident Evil 2 was the best.  It took all the elements of the first game and fined tuned them to perfection.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica is highly underrated.  Great, great game.

I loved RE4, but I really missed the goofy puzzles, silted voice acting and tense combat of the original games.  The series has veered more into an action adventure series with supernatural/horror undertones.  The slow pace and chilling camera angles of the first few games are great.  I understand that the series needed to evolve, but it no longer feels unique.

The Gamecube remake of Resident Evil 1 is also REALLY good.  I could play that game every October and never tire of it.  

darkrage61

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby darkrage61 » October 8th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I never really cared for the older RE games, the terrible voice acting/dialogue combined with the outdated and frustrating gameplay mechanics(especially the HORRIBLE save system, I HATE it when games limit your saves like that, it just feels like fake difficulty to me) just made them more frustrating then fun to play through, they didn't feel "unique" to me. So I definitely prefer the more action-oriented approach of 4 and 5.

Blueguy1

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby Blueguy1 » October 8th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Which version of Resident Evil 2 were you playing? N64 or PS1 version? Or both? If you played both which one is better?

rahimtx1

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby rahimtx1 » October 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I probably will have to say Resident Evil 2 on the N64. It might have to do with the fact that was the first Resident Evil game I ever played, but I don't know. I finally got around playing it I would have to say around 2005. Up untill then I wasn't a fan of Resident Evil. That game definitely drew me in, because after playing it, I wanted to go play all the ones I missed. I ran out and got me a PS1, so I could enjoy what I had been missing out on all those years. After beating Resident Evil 1 & 3, I soon realised all those Gamecube Resident evil games I was seeing at Gamestop were probably the updated ones they ported on over to the Gamecube lol.

I wished I would've known that beforehand, because I would got those instead. I did still play the remake of Resident evil 1 on the Gamecube, and that one would definitely be a close second. On a sidenote, that scene when a licker jumps through the interogation window at you in Resident evil 2, is hands down more scarier than when the dogs jump through the window on Resident evil. At least it was to me anyway lol.

JustLikeHeaven1

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 8th, 2012, 3:22 pm

The problem with the new action oriented games (specifically RE5) is that they feel like everything else on the market.  RE4 was revolutionary and the industry was quick to adopt it's over the shoulder camera and zoomed in perspective while firing.

The games are certainly more playable, but Capcom hasn't found a way to make the games all that scary.  Designers think that if players aren't constantly gunning down enemies they will get bored.  I'd rather shoot less, solve puzzles, conserve ammo and let the feeling of dread take over.

soporj1

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby soporj1 » October 8th, 2012, 4:36 pm

RE4 is my favorite. (On a related note, RE6 is a real stinker in my opinion!)

CoyT921

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby CoyT921 » October 8th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Haven't played many of the games, but the first one still scares the crap out of me and it's one of my favorite games. Brings back a lot of memories. 

JWK1

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby JWK1 » October 8th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Not a question in my mind, Resi Evil 4 is my favorite.  In fact, it could be my favorite game ever.  Two years ago, I had to have people on this forum to convince me to play RE4.  Now, I have to have people to convince me to STOP playing it.  After recently playing the HD remake of the game on PS3, I'm back to playing the Wii version on a standard def, tube TV.  And I'm loving it just as much now as ever.  I decided to play nothing but "horror" themed games for the month of October, so RE4 fits in perfectly.  In fact, I'm planning on buying the Gamecube version and playing that this month, too.

I enjoy RE4, RE5, and RE:Revelations because I have something I call "gaming ADD."  I don't like to sit and solve puzzles that break up the action.  The puzzles are my least favorite part of Legend of Zelda, God of War, and... yes... Resident Evil.  The slow combat is tough to swallow.  But are the earlier games still great?  Yes they are.  I also have the gamecube REmake of the first game and that's fantastic.  It could be the best remake ever made, actually.  I wish RE2 would get the same treatment.

Where the series makes the biggest mistakes isn't when it goes all-action, no-horror like they did with RE5.  It's when Capcom can't decide which direction to go, like in RE6.

Shogun1

Favorite Resident Evil?

Postby Shogun1 » October 8th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I have to go with the original RE for Saturn. At first I thought I'd get turned off by the controls but I stuck with it and I am glad I did. I also like the mansion setting the best. The Saturn version has an exclusive Battle game where you go through rooms defeating all the enemies. The fun part of the battle game is you have limited ammo so every shot counts and you face "boss characters" so it is also very challenging. Also if you play through the game as Chris, there is some exclusive stuff only available on the Saturn.

Return to “Video Games General”