Light Crusader

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Greisha1

Light Crusader

Postby Greisha1 » October 26th, 2012, 10:46 pm

I was browsing the Genesis game section of the local used game store, and saw a game called "Light Crusader." I thought: "Oh, that's a horribly generic name." Never heard of it. But since it was only $1.79, I bought it. I was hoping for something ... ohh ... above Bubsy. 

My best analogy is "Zelda-Solstice mash-up." And it's pretty good. (Treasure made an Adventure game??) I made it to the 2nd floor, and hope to plow through more soon.

Has anyone else played this?

Chaser1

Light Crusader

Postby Chaser1 » October 27th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Yep. Played it and beat it a long time ago when I saw it on the discount rack. It was actually one of my favorite Genesis games. I should play it again and see how well it stands the test of time...

Herschie

Re: Light Crusader

Postby Herschie » May 20th, 2020, 8:42 am

As you can imagine with COVID-19 going around, I've been playing quite a few games. Combine this with the fact that I'm playing video games all day while I'm making sales, and you can see how I'd be on the lookout for something new. The thing of it is, I actually put up some decent sales numbers. It'd be different if i was failing. It's like college, sure you can party, just not to the point where you're flunking out. Have your fun, as long as you're taking care of business.

So I found this game after rummaging through a bin I use for games I seldom play. I was looking for a decent Zelda clone, and this one is quite nice. To be honest, I do prefer A Link to the Past over this, but the one thing Light Crusader has going for it is that I don't know where every last secret is in the game. Not a big fan of the isometric view, which can make things like jumping more challenging than it needs to be, and the combat leads to some cheap hits. Still, I'm having fun with this.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 20th, 2020, 3:19 pm

I haven't played it, but its definitely on my hitlist. Very interested to see what Treasure did with a game like this compared to their other efforts.

It made the cut of 42 games that were included on the Mega Drive/Genesis mini, if that's any sign of it's worth.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » May 20th, 2020, 9:21 pm

I love this game. The music is absolutely out of sight, and the isometric gameplay is quality stuff. It's not the most sophisticated RPG out there, especially in terms of combat, but it's such a pleasure to play that it doesn't matter.

Light Crusader also gets bonus points as the only game I've ever played that's survived a temporary save RAM issue. Basically I was playing the game one day and it had trouble saving, so I removed the cart and cleaned it, and then everything went back to normal. But the really nice thing was that, instead of wiping the save RAM or something equally brutal, it just noted that there was a problem. Very user-friendly!

I think the Critic might enjoy this one, actually. It's not bogged down in a lot of number-crunching or turn-taking -- quite the contrary, it's 100% action-oriented.

Return to “Now Playing”