Most over rated bad game?

General and high profile video game topics.
Ken1

Postby Ken1 » November 10th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Most people seem to talk about what games are over rated. However, what about bad games that are not as bad as they are made out to be? Yes E. T. Is a bad game, but I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as people make it out to be. In other words a over rated bad game. What about you guys? What games do you feel are over rated for being bad games?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 10th, 2012, 3:20 pm

There are plenty. I'd like to mention Terminator on PS3/360. I actually had a blast beating this game this year, I think it serves its purpose as a brutal TPS. Then again, not many gamers out there have an appreciation for Sword of Sodan (Megadrive/Genesis). I'm one of the happy few.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 10th, 2012, 3:40 pm

I don't think Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 deserves the immense amount of hatred it gets at all, yeah I consider why some wouldn't like the story and the game does feel rushed at times, but I never encountered any major glitches that most people mentioned and I found it to be a very fun game.  I also loved Shadow The Hedgehog more then most critics.

I also think Medal Of Honor: Warfighter is getting way too much hate from critics, so what if it has somewhat familiar gameplay?  Is that really such a bad thing?

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » November 10th, 2012, 3:53 pm

I was actually going to make a thread about this since I recently picked up Atari 2600 Pac Man. After playing it for myself, I can't figure out what everyone hates about it. It's about what I expect for Pac Man on Atari. The gameplay is still there. You still move around the maze, eating pellets, and running from ghosts. Yeah, the ghosts flicker a lot and the graphics aren't as good as the arcade but when are Atari 2600 graphics ever as good as the arcade?

Gecko1011

Postby Gecko1011 » November 10th, 2012, 7:00 pm

E.T and Pac-man (atari vcs). I hate E.T, but it in NO WAY deserves the title of the worst game of all time, and believe it or not I like atari pac-man. It's not the best port of the game, but its not a terrible game. 

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 10th, 2012, 10:00 pm

I always felt that Sonic 3D Blast was a good game. I love it nearly as much as the other Sonic games on the Genesis. It's slower, but at least it's interesting, unlike Sonic Labyrinth, which deserves all the bad reviews it got.

wyldephang1

Postby wyldephang1 » November 10th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Notoriously bad games generally live up to their low reputation, but unless the player is totally deprived of an imagination, most people can get a reasonably entertaining experience out of [i]any[/i] game.  For instance, Superman 64 had an awful single-player campaign, but my friends and I used to play the versus mode. It wasn't perfect--it wasn't even good--but it was passable considering the terrible single-player mode lurking behind it.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » November 10th, 2012, 11:27 pm

I knew you'd say that John. Yes, the Saturn version was a "B" game, the Genesis gets a D for the awful controls. I couldn't imagine using a cross-shaped D-pad like on the Wii or GameCube.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 11th, 2012, 12:57 am

I never had a problem with the Genesis controls for 3D Blast, I quite enjoyed that game myself.

Ikaris1

Postby Ikaris1 » November 11th, 2012, 12:16 pm

[QUOTE]I was actually going to make a thread about this since I recently picked up Atari 2600 Pac Man. After playing it for myself, I can't figure out what everyone hates about it. It's about what I expect for Pac Man on Atari. The gameplay is still there. You still move around the maze, eating pellets, and running from ghosts. Yeah, the ghosts flicker a lot and the graphics aren't as good as the arcade but when are Atari 2600 graphics ever as good as the arcade?[/QUOTE]
I completely disagree: the main problem in VCS Pac-Man is that the gameplay is NOT there. You can pass over the flickering ghosts, the strange colors and the sprite which doesn't turn up/down, but this game also lacks every feature that makes Pac-Man enjoyable, strategic and far better than its pale copies: ghosts haven't personal and different patterns, they don't turn direction when becoming blue, the maze is designed in a way that makes eating all the pellets a pure matter of patience, and I could go on. Pac-Man for VCS is a mindless game which removes almost every tactical aspect of the original.
Ms Pac-Man for VCS showed the proper way of porting pac-games.
Everyone can be fond of VCS Pac-Man, but it's difficult to like it if you are a fan of REAL Pac-Man games...

Return to “Video Games General”