Wii mini a future highly sought after Canadian collectable?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 30th, 2012, 9:58 pm

[QUOTE=Leo][QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=Leo]The point isn't the size of it, the point is the price point.[/QUOTE]

Our local Wally World has Wiis for $109 (say that 5 times fast!). This new version is $99?  [/QUOTE]

Standard MSRP is $129.99 for the current Wii revision in the United States. Looking online, it looks like a Wii bundle in Canada has a MSRP of $150 these days. So it's a savings of $50 CDN or 1/3 the price. 

[/QUOTE]
At the local Wal-Mart, depending on the week, it's either $129 or $149.  Console prices are weird here compared to there.  Sometimes it's 1 to 1, sometimes it isn't.  Right now we are apparently paying more, despite our dollar being worth more than yours again lately, the consoles all being shipped from China, the stores that sell them being essentially the same, and our two countries being right next to each other.  Weird weird weird.  I would assume it's tarrifs or something except for the fact that pretty much everything I ever read on it says it isn't, retailers like Wal-Mart are so fed up with stuff like this that they often offer money off the Canadian price on some items (books are a good example), and the fact that the same price increase doesn't happen in all industries.

Anyway, $99 is a good price drop up here. 

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 30th, 2012, 10:29 pm

I imagine it's all the bottom line. They know they've got you guys trained to pay more than those to the South of you so they don't feel compelled to make adjustments to keep pace with the exchange rate since it's not to their advantage to when the exchange rate is as close as it is. It's free money for them in this situation to overcharge Canadians that are used to paying more anyways. And they probably also fear if they implement pricing parity when our exchange rates are so similar that Canadians will come to expect it even when that again isn't the case at some point in the future. 

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » December 3rd, 2012, 8:29 pm

I called Nintendo customer service about once about transferring VC games to a new console and they told me that they had removed GC compatibility from the Wii after the first big batch of them, so I don't think removing it for this model was a big move for them.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » December 4th, 2012, 5:12 am

Well, unless you feel like buying a $100 component cable for your Gamecube off the net, I'd saying having a backwards compatible Wii is extremely benefical over owning both a downgraded Wii and a Gamecube with composite cables. 

I bet if you check Craigslist enough in your area you could find a nice original Wii for $75 or less. So why pay more for a gimped one?  Seems illogical to me 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 4th, 2012, 6:10 am

Yeah, it doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it's a cool looking collectible nonetheless

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 4th, 2013, 9:51 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]If they were to launch this here next year, I would think a sub $100 Wii is a possibility come Christmas 2013.[/QUOTE]

Wii Mini is launching in the United States this month. It will be priced at $99.99 and come bundled with Mario Kart Wii. 

[wii_mini_box_thumb]

Good move on Nintendo's part to continue to support a platform that is outselling the Wii U throughout the first half of this fiscal year. It's a system that sold 4 million systems last year despite being viewed as dead and buried by many. And this should allow them to maintain that figure or even surpass it (And pass the Playstation for #2 on the all-time console sales list in the process that is 2 million ahead of it). 

Now they just need to reintroduce the idle Nintendo Selects program to provide quality software offerings for the system at a modest price like Super Mario Galaxy 2. And halving the prices of the existing few releases in that line from a couple of years ago that remain widely available to $9.99 would be smart as well.

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » November 4th, 2013, 11:03 pm

It feels good to be right, doesn't it Leo?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 5th, 2013, 12:18 am

It's always nice to be right although it didn't take but effort to correctly predict this. It seemed an obvious step late last year when the Wii Mini first surfaced in Canada. 

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 5th, 2013, 2:51 am

I guess they removed the online functionality to keep the price low? Very neat design, I think they will sell more of these then the WiiU over the holiday season.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 5th, 2013, 9:35 am

Happy to see the system is still seeing some support. It's still my primary system. The Mario Kart bundle has been here for a couple months, and the new WiiU/Wii Mario and Luigi Wiiimotes are here now as well. Combine that with the drop in price on Galaxy 2 and Wii Sports Resort, and they should probably make some money on Wii again this year.

Still, a Wii with no online doesn't do it for me. Too much of what I've gotten on the system has been downloaded, and too much time spent with it for my family is Netflix for an offline one to make sense for us. It's at the point where, when I was discussing getting a Wii U, my wife insisted the Wii be kept in the house to be a Netflix/Youtube player for my oldest son, regardless of any gaming it does.

Return to “Modern Gaming”