I ordered a Superpad 64 and a Hori mini pad.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 9th, 2013, 4:28 pm

I ordered a Superpad 64 that should be here soon. And a Horipad that should be here within 5 days. I must say, I'm rather excited! The N64 controller was good, but the durability sucked! The plastic base made that damn joystick break without any trouble within 6 months! These controllers however, appear to have the best joysticks you can find on an N64. I bought them because in Paper Mario the hammer kept slipping in battle when I tried to charge it. And in mario 64, I couldn't tip toe without slipping off of the edges of slim platforms! Hopefully, these controllers work MUCH better! I will include pictures as well.

Anyone have these?

a1

Postby a1 » February 9th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Um, the Superpad 64 joystick is really poorly made. The plastic piece falls right off after a few months of use. Maybe some super glue could fix that problem though.

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » February 10th, 2013, 2:48 am

The Superpad 64 isn't that well made, to the point where my brother actually took it apart to try and get a sense of how to improve it, especially the analog stick mechanism.  It also isn't that comfortable if you have big hands and the Z button is too small and hard to reach.  I will say that, looking back, I do like the idea of an N64 pad where you can reach all the buttons without stretching around, though it makes playing Left position games a feat (though, aside from Turok's lefty mode and Ekans Ring Toss in Pokemon Stadium, I can't think of any other Left position games).

Haven't used the other one, but I've heard good things about the analog stick.  It's just too bad the D-Pad's not underneath the stick and is, instead, put too close to the A and B buttons, making it probably impossible to play Home position games with it (like Kirby 64 and Mischief Makers), because otherwise, it looks like the best 3rd party N64 controller I've seen.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 10th, 2013, 5:38 am

What about the horipad??

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 10th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Hori is famous for its superior joypads. I'm not familiar with this one, but I wouldn't worry, it's Hori.

rift1

Postby rift1 » February 10th, 2013, 3:38 pm

The superpad is great, I don't know what you guys are talking about.  What plastic?  The analog stick is freakin *metal* on the superpad and feels great.  

The hori pad on the other hand renders the d-pad completely useless - look at it and tell me how you're supposed to play games that use the d-pad for movement??

a1

Postby a1 » February 10th, 2013, 7:54 pm

[QUOTE=rift]The superpad is great, I don't know what you guys are talking about.  What plastic?  The analog stick is freakin *metal* on the superpad and feels great.  
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the plastic on top of the comes off easily.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » February 10th, 2013, 10:51 pm

I recently saw a video by screwattack about the competitive N64 Super Smash Bros. scene and from what I can tell from that video the Hori pad is pretty popular with those competitive players because of the improved analog stick. Sorry I don't have any first-hand experience but hey, at least it sounds pretty good.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 11th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Tell me how many N64 games really USE the D-pad. And for those games the original D-pad works just FINE. It is the plastic base on the analog stick that makes the original break so easily. Here, I'll attach a video showing my BEST N64 controller, and my only other one, they were purchased in 2001. And they STILL work like crap. The joysticks are total $+!7!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkK2lJi6xU&feature=youtu.be

rift1

Postby rift1 » February 11th, 2013, 10:28 pm

[QUOTE=steephen]Tell me how many N64 games really USE the D-pad. And for those games the original D-pad works just FINE. It is the plastic base on the analog stick that makes the original break so easily. 
[/QUOTE]

The super pad doesn't have a plastic base, hence why it's so good.  Some really good N64 games use d-pad for movement, such as WCW/NWO: Revenge.  How you would play that on that Hori pad I have no idea.  

Return to “Classic Gaming”