2013/2/21: Sega CD: Cliffhanger, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Rev1

Postby Rev1 » February 22nd, 2013, 8:37 pm

I always enjoy Sega CD reviews since I'm at the point now where "ehh..." titles look appealing.. Appreciate the review. The snowboarding segment looks interesting. As for sherlock holmes that looks terrible... lol.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » February 23rd, 2013, 8:34 am

Was wondering if you can skip straight to the snowboarding levels like Batman Returns lets you just play the driving sections ?

I have a fascination with the Sega CD scaling abilities and every game I've played that utilises them have been good, why they never made more of that rather than FMV I don't know but I suppose hindsight is a wonderful thing and everyone thought FMV was the next 'big' thing.

Tim1

Postby Tim1 » February 23rd, 2013, 7:10 pm

I've had both Sherlock Holmes vol. 2 and the 3DO version for ages now but have never got round to playing them so far...maybe they'll be slightly better, who knows.  I remember vol. 1 making no sense at all: when you go to court and state who you believe the murderer is, the judge will tell you instantly if you're wrong ("that is not the correct answer, at all").  Well if the judge knows who it is then what the hell are they still doing out of prison anyway?!  I didn't know it came bundled with the Sega/Mega CD in the US, but I agree it's an odd one when it obviously will have such a limited audience, even back then.  In the UK we were "lucky" enough to get the poor man's R-Type, Sol-Feace, and Cobra Command, not much of an improvement!

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » February 25th, 2013, 12:14 pm

[QUOTE=Tim]I've had both Sherlock Holmes vol. 2 and the 3DO version for ages now but have never got round to playing them so far...maybe they'll be slightly better, who knows.[/QUOTE]

The 3DO release is actually a totally different game, from what I understand.  I haven't played it, but it has the reputation of being a hidden gem.

DJC1

Postby DJC1 » February 25th, 2013, 5:12 pm

I have Sherlock Holmes on the Sega CD.  I played through it (and beat all three mysteries) when I first got my Sega CD back in 92.  It was a bit on the dull side but no more so than other early CD-ROM PC games at the time.

I guess the grade is fair given the lack of replay value.

Phoenuss1

Postby Phoenuss1 » March 24th, 2013, 12:10 am

I remember I enjoyed Cliffhanger CD back in the day more for the movie clips than the game itself. The game itself is maybe a solid C at the most. 

Return to “Review Feedback”