2013/4/4: Genesis: Robocop Versus Terminator, Splatterhouse 2, Splatterhouse 3

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2013, 7:25 pm

The two Splatterhouse reviews are updates, because the old ones were really shallow.  Robocop Vs Terminator is a great game - much better than the SNES version.  I am re-reviewing the SNES game and will probably downgrade it.

DanZero1

Postby DanZero1 » April 4th, 2013, 9:21 pm

It's nice to finally see Robocop vs. Terminator review! Some of the best music I ever heard on the Genesis.

stika1

Postby stika1 » April 4th, 2013, 11:51 pm

I think the voice samples in the first robocop vs. terminator stage are from a woman, critic

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 5th, 2013, 12:42 am

I didn't even know Robocop vs. Terminator existed before your posts about it in the forums and it really looks like a stand out title. I'm surprised it doesn't show up more often on hidden gem lists for the Genesis. As for the Splatterhouse games, these were solid updates although judging from the way your overall tone for SH3 sounded, I was more under the impression of a C or C-. I have played all three and am a solid fan of the 3rd one, but I can understand your critiques.

Ikaris1

Postby Ikaris1 » April 5th, 2013, 3:46 am

Excellent review for a truly awesome game... I think Robocop vs Terminator deserves even A-

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 5th, 2013, 10:08 am

I agree with the Robocop vs Terminator grade.  It really is one of the underrated gems of the Genesis library.  I think it's worth pointing out how this is the superior version of the game.  The SNES version is totally average compared to it's Genesis counterpart.

As to your Splatterhouse 3 review, I have to say that I think you're off the mark a bit.  The game improves upon the first two games in every way possible.  You have more control over the character, more moves, better graphics.  The game is genuinely creepy which is an accomplishment for a 16-bit title.  Plus it's one of the most unique brawlers from the era.  Beating up thugs in the streets was the formula for this genre, but Splatterhouse 3 had you fighting some truly unique beasts.  Hell it even has a password system so that you don't have to beat it in one sitting.  I disagree that rooms all look the same.  The game lets you explore each level the way you want in order to reach the end boss which is very cool.  Sometimes going out of your way will reward you will a sweet weapon.  For me Splatterhouse 3 was the pinnacle of the series.  The first two games were simple, albeit great games...but the third one really took the formula and made it shine brightest.  I think the D+ is harsh, because this is a quality Genesis title, and much better than stuff like Dynamite Duke, Jurassic Park, Phelios, Terminator 2, Universal Solider, Cliffhanger etc...all which are rated higher.

Also, if I'm not mistaken you really downgraded this game...from a B to a D+.  I always felt your B was a tad too low.  The new review is well written and I understand your criticisms, but you don't exactly rip the game apart...so the D+ doesn't feel like it matches the review.  Maybe it's just me though.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 5th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Yeah, I feel that sometimes your D+ reviews read more like C+/B-

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 5th, 2013, 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]I agree with the Robocop vs Terminator grade.  It really is one of the underrated gems of the Genesis library.  I think it's worth pointing out how this is the superior version of the game.  The SNES version is totally average compared to it's Genesis counterpart.

As to your Splatterhouse 3 review, I have to say that I think you're off the mark a bit.  The game improves upon the first two games in every way possible.  You have more control over the character, more moves, better graphics.  The game is genuinely creepy which is an accomplishment for a 16-bit title.  Plus it's one of the most unique brawlers from the era.  Beating up thugs in the streets was the formula for this genre, but Splatterhouse 3 had you fighting some truly unique beasts.  Hell it even has a password system so that you don't have to beat it in one sitting.  I disagree that rooms all look the same.  The game lets you explore each level the way you want in order to reach the end boss which is very cool.  Sometimes going out of your way will reward you will a sweet weapon.  For me Splatterhouse 3 was the pinnacle of the series.  The first two games were simple, albeit great games...but the third one really took the formula and made it shine brightest.  I think the D+ is harsh, because this is a quality Genesis title, and much better than stuff like Dynamite Duke, Jurassic Park, Phelios, Terminator 2, Universal Solider, Cliffhanger etc...all which are rated higher.

Also, if I'm not mistaken you really downgraded this game...from a B to a D+.  I always felt your B was a tad too low.  The new review is well written and I understand your criticisms, but you don't exactly rip the game apart...so the D+ doesn't feel like it matches the review.  Maybe it's just me though.[/QUOTE]

I agree, and also would like to say I think Splatterhouse 2 is better than the first one in almost every way. It's a sequel, yes, hence not terribly original, yet I think it's way more fun than the original, which is a great game in its own right. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2013, 3:55 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]Yeah, I feel that sometimes your D+ reviews read more like C+/B-[/QUOTE]

I think I can explain this phenomenon.  My grades are on a scale from A to F.  Most other sites are on a scale from A to C.  Therefore my D+ grade is comparable to a B on other sites.

Hey xwizard - Sorry for not regurgitating what you read on other sites.  I actually think for myself.

Return to “Review Feedback”