Microsoft Reveals New System: XBOX One

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 21st, 2013, 5:17 pm

http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-is-called-xbox-one-509069410

So what are everyone's thoughts on Microsoft's big reveal today?  Unlike Sony they revealed what this thing is gonna look like and they dropped some other tidbits.  Not much info about games, but all three systems are now named and primed for battle.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 21st, 2013, 5:23 pm

I think it is a bad product, and very consumer unfriendly. In fact, it is Orwellian in its scope.

-All games have to be installed. Cannot play used games without fee.

-Online connection required to some degree, cloud gaming to be pushed hard. Growing reliance on servers to play games.

-Kinect always has to be connected, literally always watching you - who in the hell would want that? It is amazing to me someone would buy that and install it in their house, I mean that seriously.

- We will have to wait for prices and details, especially for the new XBOX LIVE, but the direction of this 'console' is very easy to see.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 21st, 2013, 5:48 pm

well despite the cool look, this is a no buy for me. I have no interest in a console that requires a fee for playing used games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2013, 5:50 pm

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.  What does this system have to offer gamers other than a mound of requirements and restrictions?  A slightly better controller?  A slightly better Kinect?  Slightly better looking games?

The name is absolutely ridiculous.  There was always an Xbox 1.

My Wii U is looking better all the time...

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 21st, 2013, 5:52 pm

I really hope this flops and Microsoft is forced to redesign key aspects of the console. If Sony allows players to use used games then Microsoft is going to have a really hard time in the long haul.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 21st, 2013, 6:07 pm

I'm trying to be much more positive, and I have generally prefered the Xbox line to the Playstation line, but that today was garbage.  I'm trying to see something there, but it was a one hour presentation where they spent more time showing the Price is Right than games.  And they most certainly spent more time on football than on anything.  Between the NFL fantasy deal thing and the interviews with football players, I was confused.  Was there some minsinformation out there that Madden wouldn't be on the Xbox?  Because they cleared it up if there was.  Always online, not so much.  But yeah, there will be American football on the most popular console in America.  Thanks for the tip. 

Junk.  Worst presentation of its kind I have ever seen.  Worse even than the uncomfortable  3DS "table scraps" presentation last year at E3.  And that is saying something. 

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 21st, 2013, 6:34 pm

Sounds way too complicated.  I'm probably gonna wait until the price goes way down before I even think of buying one.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » May 21st, 2013, 7:18 pm

I actually like that they didn't change much in system design from the XBox 360.  The same system but with better graphics, a better Kinect, and a better DPad is exactly what I would have done if I were in charge of designing the system.   The Xbox 360 got many things right, and there was no need to change it.  However, there was no need for them to put a bunch of gimmicks in the new system. For example, they can leave off this "TV Box" gimmick they spent 20 minutes at the presentation talking about.  I don't have cable anymore, and even if I did, I doubt I'd used it.  However, I am most disappointed there's no backward compatibility.  However, it uses different types of hardware, and it may not be possible.  I'm not a tech expert and don't understand these things, but I am still disappointed.

I'm reading the reports on the anti consumer measures they put in place.   Many of them seem to conflict each other.  I really hope these used game fees or activation codes or whatever other nonsense they want to do doesn't make it to the system.  If they do it will probably be a long time before I buy the system.  I wouldn't even call it a boycott.  Its just that, I can still think of dozens of games that are supposed to be awesome on the current generation of consoles that I haven't played.  These games won't treat me like a criminal.  Therefore, I would feel more inclined to buy those games before buying the Xbox "ONE".  I agree with Dave, that is a dumb name.  I also agree that if this anti consumer nonsense comes true, the Wii U is looking better, especially if it gets a price cut soon.  Hopefully Nintendo announces some good games for the Wii U at E3.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 21st, 2013, 10:25 pm

I doubt the anti-used game measures will stick, otherwise Gamestop will almost certainly threaten to refuse to sell the system at all, which would mean a huge loss in sales for Microsoft, something I doubt they would risk.  I'm guessing they'll let you trade the games in physically, but if you buy a used copy, you have to pay a small "re-activation" fee or something like that.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 22nd, 2013, 12:28 am

I really fear that people will jump onto the whole "re-activation fee" bandwagon and allow Microsoft to do something they should not be allowed to do. As a consumer, you have the right to buy and sell your items, that is the whole point of owning them. If people are just like, "Oh okay, it's only a couple dollars" then it won't just be Microsoft doing this in 5 years, it will be Blue Ray discs, cds, and other various medias. If Microsoft utterly fails at this it will send a message to companies that no, they do not have the right to charge people for selling their items to someone else. Technically, the cost goes to the buyer, but it goes full circle, meaning that you would get less $$ for your item to compensate for the charges a company could tax onto your sale. Even if it is only a dollar per disc, by buying their product we are telling the companies that it is okay to do things we may not even agree with. Unless Microsoft changes their tune, I hope this console fails miserably.

Return to “Video Games General”