New Xbox: Xbox One

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » May 22nd, 2013, 10:49 am

I posted this on some other threads, but I'm not interested in this gen at all. Unless there are some drastic changes coming along, I'll stick to the systems I already have and my entertainment budget will go to expanding my collection of older games. The videogames industry has become way too corporate for my tastes and I refuse to support it any longer.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 22nd, 2013, 2:14 pm

This is just my two cents, the most two copper pennies one can throw.... Or something.

Xbox ONE is a pure example of why Consoles and PC's don't need to close their technological gap. 

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:10 pm

I liked the Infinity name better, they could've used the tagline "Infinite Possiblities"

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 22nd, 2013, 7:48 pm

There's a lot of confusion swirling about the Xbox One, and I place the blame squarely on Microsoft and their non-existent PR staff.  I've read a number of articles and it's hard to get past the glossy marketing BS to find the hidden truth.

If I buy a console and never take it on-line, would I be able to play my games?  I realize that as soon as I take it on-line it's going to register (and lock-in) my games, but staying off-line is certainly an option for me.  I can live without Xbox Live.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 23rd, 2013, 3:25 am

Let's also not forget that in order to play your games online and take full advantage of Xbox One's app's and features, it's most likely going to REQUIRE a subscription to Xbox Live! *Just like Netflix and the web browser on the 360* 

If Sony sticks with free online with the PS4, that could definitely be another huge advantage for them. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 23rd, 2013, 5:48 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]MS has also got servers galore for this possibly for back end processing. That could imply an always on connection would still be needed to get the added graphical or gameplay elements even in a single player experience.[/QUOTE]

This is bunk.  The only thing those back end servers would be sending over would be ADs.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 23rd, 2013, 6:57 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic][QUOTE=scotland17]MS has also got servers galore for this possibly for back end processing. That could imply an always on connection would still be needed to get the added graphical or gameplay elements even in a single player experience.[/QUOTE]

This is bunk.  The only thing those back end servers would be sending over would be ADs.[/QUOTE]

I like how in the presentation they made some big deal over silly numbers like: "we have enough servers to have more computing power than there was in THE WHOLE WORLD in 1999!"  Wow!  More than nearly half a decade ago!  No, wait, nearly half a decade ago was 2009.  Oh, more power than there was ten years before half a decade ago.  wow.  That's not really much of anything. 

You likely have in front of you as much RAM as every 2600 ever sold, combined! 

I have more computing power in my phone than was used to land on the moon! 

I have room on my netbook for more text than was written in all the world before the invention of the printing press!

None of this means anything because it just means there has been exponential growth in computer technology.  All the computing power in the world in 1999 probably couldn't hold Facebook together.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 24th, 2013, 9:03 am

I am pretty convinced this will be a close match up between both Nintendo and Sony. Nintendo is all about the games this E3. Sony may have some impressive hardware. But this Xbox One thing bothers me greatly. Gamefly is virtually impossible to implement rentals to this particular piece of hardware. As when I rent a game, I don't want to pay another damn fee! Activation?!?! Didn't Microsoft make the same mistake with Windows XP?Ok, maybe it won't be as big a Microsoft mistake as Windows XP....but still. Anyways, I'm excited for the Playstation 4 after looking deeper, but I may not get one till mid-to-late next year. This year is Wii U for me, new games being announced for the system during E3 may sell more systems. Big name titles may come along and blow everyone away! And on the topic of the Kinect, I have a somewhat creepy story as to why I AM concerned. One night, I was sitting at my computer in front of the web camera which was off...........doing some routine maintnence (for lack of a better term)....when all of a sudden, the "on" light came on the camera for a few seconds........then it went off. Just Kidding. . But it's still plausable. But yeah, Nintendo and Sony have this generation to themselves. The only thing that worries me about the PS4 is the price...........can't imagine anything less than $399.99. If it's less and they surprise us, that'll be AMAZING. So yeah, that's my take on the thread.

-Stephen

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » May 24th, 2013, 12:04 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]Didn't Microsoft make the same mistake with Windows XP?Ok, maybe it won't be as big a Microsoft mistake as Windows XP....but still.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean Windows ME?

Windows XP was the most popular operating system in the world for several years.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 24th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Yeah, and besides ME was only a minor misstep, everyone quickly forgot about it.  Vista was a bigger flop since they hyped it up so much and it turned out to be letdown in most aspects, fortunately Windows 7 improved most of the problems.  I think it's foolish to assume Sony and Nintendo have this generation to themselves, the fact that Nintendo scaled back their press conference this year dosen't exactly bode well for them, I believe MS will have a strong showing at E3 and silence the haters.

Return to “Modern Gaming”