New Xbox: Xbox One

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 25th, 2013, 6:53 pm

But do you know this a? You, like many loyalists, HOPE for it. I rarely bash a player in the industry, but this is too much. Microsoft probably has no plans for a rental service. And if they provided GameFly with a method, it wouldn't work out. Microsoft, greedy since 1999, would probably set up a deal with GameFly if they were to make it EXCLUSIVELY for the Xbox brand. And don't say "Oh well that didn't happen with the 360". That's because the 360 didn't require ANY method! It makes no sense. And I doubt MS would host a rental service anyway! They want the greed of a full blown retail price. This company lost much of respect in 2001 (stupid blue toolbars, stupid product activation!) and now, they've lost all of it. ALSO, why is it that Nintendo is the ONLY COMPANY with backwards compatibility now?

jbltecnicspro1

Postby jbltecnicspro1 » May 25th, 2013, 8:42 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]I liked the Infinity name better, they could've used the tagline "Infinite Possiblities"[/QUOTE]

I like that name better too, but let's be honest - the way this console is locked down, there will be anything BUT "Infinite Possibilities!"  

That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that PS4 will have some sort of used game lock too.  When Shuhei Yoshida of Sony was asked by Eurogamer if the PS4 will blocked used games, he actually had to ask the Japanese PR guy.  After they exchanged words, he said "So, used games can play on PS4. How is that?"  He couldn't just say "yes" or "no?"  I don't know about any of you, but where I come from - if you're not able to directly answer my question (and in this case, it's a very direct question), then something's up.   After all, Xbox One can play used games too...

a1

Postby a1 » May 26th, 2013, 4:41 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]But do you know this a? You, like many loyalists, HOPE for it. [/QUOTE]

I am certainly not a loyalist, unless you are speaking only about playing and collecting games, but I do hope for it. My hope for it is that all of these policies will fail, and Microsoft will be forced to backpedal. My hope is that all of us our correct, and that if Microsoft doesn't make a swift correction, the system dies before it reaches the market.

My hope is not that Microsoft quit developing hardware. I hope that they have to learn from their mistake, and release a new console that has no forced internet connection, no forced install, and no ridiculous policies in place to kill the used games market (a market that does not hurt the industry nearly as much as they would like us to believe). Because I do like my 360, and I would like to have a console that allows me to play games online with my brothers and friends who live across the country, and while I'm against forced internet because of what it means to collectibility, I do like online gaming.

And I hope that we continue having two or three players in the console market, to breed competition and prevent a monopoly. We all saw what happened to the Madden franchise once EA got exclusive NFL rights. Do we want that to happen to the entire game industry if Microsoft and Sony drop out and leave us with just Nintendo? I love Nintendo games, but I want them to have to work and innovate to gain customers. Not win by default.

a1

Postby a1 » May 26th, 2013, 4:50 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]ALSO, why is it that Nintendo is the ONLY COMPANY with backwards compatibility now?[/QUOTE]

I do like backwards compatibility, but Nintendo was pretty late to the game with it. Atari allowed 2600 games to play on the 7800. Sega had an adapter to play Master System games on the Genesis (Nintendo promised a similar adapter but to my knowledge never released it). The PS2 played PS One games. The first backward compatibility home console that Nintendo released was the Wii, and later editions removed that backward compatibility. The Xbox 360 doesn't have full backward compatibility, but it does play nearly all of my 30+ games. And the PS3, like the Wii, did launch with backward compatibility but remove most of it with later versions (although I believe they all play PS One games).

That said, I am happy that my Wii U plays Wii games, and I do like the policy. It allows me to hook up less consoles. Due to the 360's lack of full backwards compatibility I still have my Xbox hooked up. Although, I still have my Wii hooked up too because i use it as my Gamecube (and unfortunately, I can no longer play Wii games such as Smash Bros Brawl with Gamecube controllers on my Wii U).

jbltecnicspro1

Postby jbltecnicspro1 » May 26th, 2013, 6:14 pm

While we're on the subject, what do you all think about this?

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

Looks like Kinect may be used to essentially spy on you.  Microsoft apparently came out and said (and I can't remember the source) that not all patents are used in products, so there's nothing to worry about.  But this patent is obviously clear as to its intent.  Whether or not Microsoft will use it will remain to be seen.  But the fact that this exists scares the hell out of me.  

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 26th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Another awesome feature would be for Nintendo to release a firmware update for true upscaling to 1080p for Wii games. They look okay, but no better than the Component cables for the Wii. I don't know whether I'll do what my buddy Russ does. He has an A/V to USB adapter. He runs his old systems like the N64 through his laptop, and uses upscaling software he designed to upscale the video, then he uses the HDMI output on his laptop to play them on the big screen in 1080p, eliminating emulation. The Genesis and SNES games look particularly good this way, saving him money on expensive upscaling boxes. But I don't have much room to do that.......so I'd like Nintendo to just release an update to do this.

Return to “Modern Gaming”