Games I (or you) don't understand the negativity towards.

General and high profile video game topics.
Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 8th, 2013, 3:07 pm

It seems some games have become cool to hate on the internet.   I haven't always understand why.   Maybe mob mentality.   Here are some games I don't understand why many people hate.

Super Mario Bros 2 (western Doki Doki Panic edition)-  This is called the "black sheep" of the Mario series.  However, I love this game, both when I was a kid and now as an adult.  It has a great look, awesome music, great controls, and everything else you could want in a platformer.  Its now hated for not being a "true" Mario game. So? That doesn't change that its a great game.  I also believe it is far better than the Japanese version of Mario 2 known here as the lost levels.   It would have been great if that game made it here originally also.  However, that doesn't in any way mean our Mario 2 is a bad game.  In my opinion, its one of the top 5 platformers on the NES.

Final Fantasy VII -   This is probably the most famous JRPG to the western world.   It was millions of people's first RPG.   Like an underground band that became mainstream, its also became cool to hate this game.  Everyone now says the SNES had better RPGs.  I have beaten most of the big name ones and believe they generally have better pacing due to the lack of load times, extended summing scenes etc. Also Chrono Trigger is my favorite JRPG ever. However, FFVII is still an excellent game.  It has a great art design (which I believe is superior to most of the SNES RPG's art), an awesome world with plenty of side quests, and probably my favorite music from the FF series.  Also, the moment I left Midgar and realised I had only been in a fraction of the game's world is one of my favorite moments in a video game ever.  Its too bad it has such a terrible translation though. However, it is possible to love both this game, and the SNES era RPGs.  Most are tremendous in different ways.   However, I get annoyed when people call me a "casual n00b" or other nonsense when I talk about FFVII being great, despite the fact that I started with Final Fantasy for NES.  Some people need to take off their hipster glasses and realize not everything that is mainstream is terrible.

Serious Sam HD and Painkiller HD -   These are remakes of some old school FPSs.  However, they both got slammed by critics.   Probably for lack of extended cutscenes, cover system, etc.  However these games are very fun FPSs that are simple and effective.   Maybe its just people not appreciating the old ways.  While I have nothing against new school shooters, its good to know games like these are still being made.

Do you guys have any other games you can think of?

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » June 8th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Duke Nukem Forever- OK,so my opinion on this game is based on the fact that I only spent a few dollars on it. While it is far from perfect, I found it to be a fun fps. If I had paid $60 for it when it came out,I might be bitter. I feel this game didn't live up to expectations ( and after such a long wait,it never was going to) and that makes it a bitter pill to swallow. Its a a 6 or 7 out of 10, but if you hear people talk about it it sounds unplayable. Its really not that bad.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 8th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Agreed on DNF, maybe it's because it's the very first game in the series I ever played, but I really dug it.

Resident Evil 6:Wow, I really don't get hate for this one at all, yeah the gameplay has been changed, but I think it's for the better, there's no more worrying about A.I. partners and the controls are improved dramatically(barring a few QTEs like Leon's rope-climbing sequence), the story is pretty cool and all 4 campaigns are exciting, I also didn't totally hate Operation Racoon City.

Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor- I think most major critics who were saying the controls didn't work didn't have a proper setup, I certainly didn't have the most ideal living room for Kinnect, yet somehow I rarely had any major problems with the controls in this game, I really dug the story and setting, the action was frnatic and exciting, and the characters were pretty interesting.

Operation: Mindjack- Another cool premise and setting, has some frustrating parts but overall isn't the crapfest that critics say it is(sucks that you can't pause the game though)

Front Mission Evolved- First game in the Front series I played and a pretty good one at that, loved the mech-based gameplay.

Rogue Warrior- OK yeah it definitely can't compete with AAA titles, but for the cheap price I got it at, it provided some decent entertainment, and having Mickey Rourke was a nice bonus.

Sonic The Hedgehog 06- The very first 360 game I ever bought, I thought it was a pretty solid 3-D adventure, I dug the story though I can understand how others wouldn't like it(and before you ask, no I was not bothered by the "kiss"), I rarely ever encountered any of the "glitches" I kept hearing people talk about(though I will admit Silver's boss fights took some getting used)

Shadow The Hedgehog- Personally, I don't get all the people whining about "guns" in a Sonic game, I thought it was a cool new mechanic, I loved how we delved more into Shadow as a character and haivng so many different paths and multiple endings was neat.

Army Of Two series- It seems like critics just have a pre-disposed hate for this series for whatever reason, well I like all of them(though i'm not a fan of the story in Devil's Cartel, mainly cause of the big twist which I feel ruined one of the characters, but I won't get into that now) and I hope we see another one.

Medal Of Honor: Warfighter- I truly don't understand this one, what were people expecting exactly?  This game gave me pretty much what I wanted, and I didn't encounter any major bugs.

Call Of Juarez: The Cartel- Ok i'll be honest, I haven't played any of the other games in this series, but for what this game is I really dug it(I don't get all the racism comments towards this game either), enough that I had problem playing it through with all three characters.

Alpha Protocol- Easily my favorite RPG of all time, just the level of detail this game has in regards to different outcomes you can have with certain characters and dialogue options is freaking phenomemal, the gameplay is pretty fun too, and it's suited to whatever play style you want, be it stealth, action or espionage.

NARC-Now here's a remake that got more criticism then it deserves, I don't think the game glorifies drug use as most of the drugs you can use are pretty useless(except for crack and Liquid Sole, both of which are rare), I think it does a good job of updating the premise of the original to a 3-D setting and the story takes some interesting turns, plus it's got the excellent Michael Madsen, speaking of which...

Reservoir Dogs- Well, this was certainly an interesting film choice for a licensed game, it does a pretty good job of filling in the gaps of the film.

Gang Warz: Crime Life- Now here's an underrated 3-D beat em up, I guess the difficulty was too much for critics, the game can get really hair-pulling if you don't learn the arr of combos.

True Crime: New York City- First PC game I ever bought for my computer, so it holds a special place for me, it's a pretty good alternative to GTA and makes me wish Activision would continue the series already(why they stupidly passed on Sleeping Dogs, I will never know)

Sniper: Ghost Warrior: Both games though rough aorund the edges provide some solid sniping action.

Gears Of War: Judgement- Wasn't a huge fan of the first game, but I liked the new gameplay style in this one.

Dead Island: Riptide- Solid follow-up to the original

Infernal: Hells Vengeance- Interesting third-person shooter that sorta feels like DMC at times.

007 Legends: Not as good as the Goldeneye remake or Blood Stone, but still a solid entry in the game series that provdes a nice homage to some of the best films.

Bodycount-A nice homage to the old school arcade shooters

Conflict-Denied Ops, underrated co-op game with an A.I> partner that actually works pretty well

Solder Of Fortune Payback-Another FPS with an old-school arcade feel to it.

Inversion- Gears Of War clone?  Yeah I just don't see it, I love the gravity based gameplay, though I will admit one part was so tough that I actually switch to easy mode just to finish, and it was still hard.

Bionic Commando- Pretty good 3-D update of the series, the swinging gameplay transitions over pretty well, I actually managed to beat this on hard mode.

CoyT921

Postby CoyT921 » June 9th, 2013, 2:30 am

I know there's a lot of people out there who didn't care for Evil Dead: A Fistful of Boomstick. It's repetitive and some of the objectives can be a little confusing, but it's a really special game to me. It was my introduction to the Evil Dead universe. Wandering around open worlds chopping up the Deadites is fun, and I dug the time travel angle. 

I did enjoy Regeneration a lot more though, that game was awesome. Wish they'd do another one for current gen systems. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 9th, 2013, 11:56 am

I don't understand the posts about FF7... I know the game has some fair amount of negativity but it is heavily outweighed by the HUGE cult status of the game. I mean, the game is seriously one of the biggest cult phenomenons in gaming ever. It got solid reviews all across the board, when it came out, and is on many of the "best of" PS1 lists. I was expecting more obscure or negatively received games. Darkage6 gave a very solid list that I absolutely disagree with on many counts, but it's his opinion and they seem to fit the mold of this thread better.

As for titles to add to the list, I would have to say Mirror's Edge on the PS3/360. The game received average reviews from critics and there was even a lot of comments about how the game has made several people quite sick. Still, I found the game awesome and it had the whole package- great controls, awesome graphics, and a whole new style of gameplay. I also never got sick from playing the game.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 9th, 2013, 9:32 pm

2Xtreme, I already boasted about my respect for this game. The fact it's a graphical "Spaghetti Monster" AND fun makes it well worth the "greatest hits" label.

Also the music, I actually searched for the music and listened to it non-stop. 

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » June 10th, 2013, 9:01 am

Vay for the Sega CD. Of all the Working Designs games this is the one that gets the least respect. I would take Vay over Popful Mail any day.

pixelated1

Postby pixelated1 » June 10th, 2013, 10:33 am

Yeah I never understood the bile directed at Super Mario Bros. 2. I played that game when I was a kid, and while it was considerable different than SMB1, I thought it was great. In fact, I liked it a bit more than the first. So what if it was originally Doki Doki Panic and not a Mario game in Japan (that seems to be the main bone of contention)? SMB2 is a stone cold classic and really one of the best games for the NES. It bears repeating.

And while I do kinda see why so much negativity is directed at E.T. for the 2600, I think it's come to the point where it's too much negativity. People, the game isn't that bad, even though it's not that good either. There are FAR worse games for the 2600 out there, and far worse games for other consoles period. It's gotten to the point where people who bash the game never even played it or even Atari 2600. I own the game, play it from time to time, and there are some redeeming qualities to the game, and many things that suck. Like most games. Let it go.

rahimtx1

Postby rahimtx1 » June 10th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Karate Champ (NES)

Ive always thought it was a pretty good looking game, and fun to play.  When I was growing up my buddy and I swapped out games (I know, such a weird and outdated concept huh VG?)  I got Karate Champ, and he got Life Force.  I was'nt a fan of Life Force at that time, and I liked Karate Champ so much, I ended up trading him Life Force for it (Yet another weird and outdated concept.)  Years later I gave Life Force another chance and I then realized why my friend had no quarrels about making that trade.  Life Force is actually a very good game.  I never really liked the arcade version of Karate Champ.  It probably had something to do with its dual controller setup.  I never been good at fighting games such as Tekken that has a sophisticated control layout.

Return to “Video Games General”