Ryse : The continuing degradation of 'gaming'

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 14th, 2013, 1:42 pm

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/

But Crytek isn’t calling them quicktime events, it’s trying to avoid that term altogether. Crytek just wants every kill to look incredible, to look precise. It’s willing to go to strange lengths to make this happen.

Allow me to explain.

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, stuff is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

The idea behind this design decision, claims Crytek, is that players coming home from a hard day’s work don’t want to deal with the pressures and stress of playing perfectly. Instead of rewarding players with a gory cinematic for hitting the QTE correctly, players simply acquire a greater amount of XP or currency

Push 'X' when prompted - or not, makes no difference. It was sad enough when 'pressing X' when prompted  constituted 'game play' but even that is too much now. Glad I am not a hardcore gamer, this reminds me of that Kart Racer MS made for Kinect, I forget the name, the one with dramatic auto steer and auto accelerate.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 14th, 2013, 5:43 pm

That is just plain ridiculous, I'm lost for words it makes Space Ace and Dragon's Lair sound immersive.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 14th, 2013, 5:57 pm

So we hated quick time events, so they decided to fix it by removing the "quick" part.  The only part that was still gameplay.  That's the trick.  What's that word for a game where you don't control anything and the story just plays?  Oh yeah: movie. 

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 14th, 2013, 6:18 pm

I honestly don't see what the big deal is about this, I usually find QTEs to be frustrating and pointless, so I really don't have a problem with this design choice. I actually wish more games would do something like this, that way you have an incentive to hit the right button but if you don't then at least you don't die a cheap death and have to start over from the last checkpoint.  Something like this would've improved parts in games like say that boulder chase and knife fight in Resident Evil 4, the way I would personally do it is i'd make so that hitting the wrong button wouldn't result in instant death, but it would cause you to lose some health, and if you managed to hit all the right buttons, you'd get extra ammo and/or a better weapon, or something like that. 

I will say that out of all the X-One exlusives, Ryse looks the least impressive, so i'm likely going to skip buying that one.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 14th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Ryse is a god of war style game.  I am sure MS wanted to get a game of this type on their system.
It is still better than just another Mario game that much is for sure.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 14th, 2013, 8:20 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]Ryse is a god of war style game.  I am sure MS wanted to get a game of this type on their system.
It is still better than just another Mario game that much is for sure.[/QUOTE]

I want a Mario game that is all QTE.

Here comes Koopa *push x* Mario jumps on Koopa, his shell crushed and blood and guts gush out.

Here comes Shy Guy *push x* Mario pulls out a samurai sword, cleaves Shy Guy in two as he scream in vain, blood and guts gush out

Maybe Crytek can be contracted to make that game?

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 14th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Sega-I really don't get what you're trying to say here.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 15th, 2013, 4:27 am

Darkage I understand that you don't like QTE gameplay but not having to press anything is not the way forward surely ? I liked the look of Ryse but thought it would be more Heavenly Sword/ God of War type gameplay not watch cinematics no matter what you do type 'gameplay' I can watch Spartacus for cinematic kills, call me old fashioned but I want to play my games not watch them.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 15th, 2013, 5:32 am

From what I understand, you still get rewarded with xp if you hit the right sequence. Still, it's way too forgiving, you hardly even have to play to complete the kills. At the very least, they should implement difficuly modes forcing you to do it right... then again, we've seen similar design choices before. In Castlevania Lords of Shadows, for instance, one can just skip the puzzles and get the solution instantly. You'll get less XP, but you'll still be able to go through some parts of the game with no effort. I don't like this trend.

Return to “Modern Gaming”