Google developing a console??

General and high profile video game topics.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 28th, 2013, 7:05 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/27/us-google-console-idUSBRE95Q1J320130627

The devices could be available as soon as this Fall, the report, which cited anonymous sources, said.

Google's Android operating system is the world's most popular mobile software, featured on three out of every four smartphones sold. A video game console could provide a significant opportunity for Google to expand Android's reach beyond its stronghold in smartphones and tablets.

Very thin  on details, but very interesting if true. Presumably Google, with its massive size and resources, would do a more professional job than Ouya.

Do you still think this is a normal console transition?

'Foreman says these console buyers are going, boys, and they ain't coming back - to your console'

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » June 28th, 2013, 3:10 pm

This would have a much better chance of success then OUYA. Google is a known and trusted brand.  My phone is a Google Nexus and I love it.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » June 28th, 2013, 4:26 pm

They could also be demonstrated and sold at stores that sell google and motorola phones and tablets. Other competition is from android handhelds with 5 to 7 inch screens and av out in the $100 range. Many ways to play, including the dick tracy watch mentioned in the article.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 28th, 2013, 5:37 pm

This would be really interesting if this ends up true. Who knows what google would be able to accomplish? They tend to be pretty successful in most fields that they venture in.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » June 28th, 2013, 7:07 pm

... And another "Android-based" console: The "Gamestick"

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/game-stick?cid=eml_10000937

Holy crap. Hello, "Android-Gen?"

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » June 29th, 2013, 7:57 am

One article I read called these android OS consoles 'microconsoles'. 

So you have Gamestick and Ouya in the $100 level, the MadCatz MOJO likely above that, and the Nvidia shield above that.  Add in this google branded device now.  Its becoming a quickly familiar story, with more chapters to come.  Capabilities vary, but all able to play some Android games on your TV, and many will do much more than that, such as surf or stream.   The Ouya does not grant direct Google Play store access, and makes some money from each game, so that helps its pricing.  The Gamestick has a lower initial price than Ouya, probably comparable performance (and some startup issues), but the docking station, that adds a lot of functionality puts it a bit over Ouya in initial price - but then you get the whole Google Play of games.  MOJO is still in development, but it will be better performing than Ouya, with a better controller (its Mad Catz) and a company with some cred to its name, but its likely to be more expensive. The Nvidia Shield, I believe, has its own screen, and I think I read a price tag like a regular console, but I think they are trying for higher end performance and obviously a solid name behind them. Being Nvidia, they are also involved in the success and failure of the other microconsoles.   Maybe Google will have multiple devices - brand a lower end one as Motorola and a higher end one as Google - who knows; it is indeed something to watch.

Beyond these microconsoles come new handhelds running Android, some smaller and pocket portable like a Dingoo, others larger like the WiiU controller, with analog sticks and d-pads and all on the unit.  This is all in addition to the expanding world of android smartphones, now in various sizes, and lots of android tablet choices, some with HDMI out - some even especially made for kids. 

There is so much half baked games out there already that one thinks of the '83 crash, but its firewalled off by the 'free to try' model. On the hardware side, there is so much confusing diversity so quickly it might benefit by having a big player like Google, with its deep pockets, good name, and retail reach, to solidify and dominate the market for a time. 

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 29th, 2013, 10:44 am

If it has access to Google play, this is pretty significant.   There are several emulators of older systems for download on Google play.   There, if Google's system is nice and reliable and has a good controller, its pretty much a must buy, regardless of whatever games come out for it.  The idea of having emulation of everything from Atari 2600 to Nintendo 64 playable on the couch is pretty awesome.  

Return to “Video Games General”