Most expensive consoles to collect for

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 4th, 2013, 12:31 pm

So I figured this would be an interesting topic since there are so many different types of game consoles out there these days. I figured people could list the most expensive consoles that they have collected for. Several of these I might not have started collecting for if I realized the huge cost some of the best games asked for. Obviously the #1 answer should be the Neo Geo but because of the insane cost of almost every game I opted out of collecting for that one (at least for a good long time until I'm making bank, if that ever happens).

For me, there are three game consoles that stick out as the most expensive US collector pieces and those would be the Sega CD, Saturn, and the Turbografx 16/CD. Let me explain my list.

Sega CD- This consoles seems relatively cheap at first, with a huge number of games that are worth nothing, but then you get to the big collector pieces for the console. There are several titles for the Sega CD that are absolutely insane, pricewise. For example, Snatcher runs between $200-$300 for a complete copy and Keio's Flying Squadron is around the $250-350 mark. Other notable titles are the Lunar series which are anywhere between $60-100, Popful Mail which is $100-175, Shining Force CD ($80-120), Earthworm Jim Special Edition ($60-100), and Robo Aleste ($50-75). The best games for the consoles are usually $50+ and most of them are $100+.

Saturn- This is another console with many titles in the gutter (pricewise) but then you get to the most highly collectible titles and you are looking at a huge wad of cash. Albert Odyssey is $125-150, Guardian Heroes ($75-125), Magic Knight Rayearth ($85-125), Panzer Dragoon Saga ($225-350), Saturn Bomberman ($85-125), Shining Force III ($125-175), Street Fighter Collection ($75-100), House of the Dead ($85-125). Thankfully, the Saturn does have a fair list of pretty solid games under the $50 mark but those games are now rising even more, meaning there are very few titles that you can pick up complete under $30.

Turbografx 16/CD- This console is just insane. I didn't think that the price of titles would have risen so quickly but my god, the Turbografx 16/CD is insanely expensive to collect for and many of the best titles are extremely hard to find. Magical Chase is $500-2000, Dynastic Hero ($300-500), Dungeon Explorer II ($150-300), Super Air Zonk ($150-300), Cotton ($300-600), and then you get to the more cost effective titles, which are still between $75-200 depending on the title. Obviously importing is a solid option, but those have risen in price as well so you are looking to give up your first born to play many of the titles. This is definitely one of the hardest systems to collect for in the US, not only due to the cost but the severe rarity of many of the stand out collector pieces.

Anyway, what are your guys thoughts on this. Obviously, importing is a solid option for many consoles but even then, for the Turbografx 16/CD hu card converter is very expensive and rare, or you can get a PC Engine Duo, and those are expensive as well. For consoles like the Turbografx it can be insanely hard to build much of a collection for the console. I know that my collection for these consoles has been insanely gradual and I have picked up a title here and there as they come up. These are definitely not consoles you can quickly acquire a bunch of the standout titles, unless you are rich.

pixelated1

Postby pixelated1 » July 4th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Isn't the Neo Geo AES pretty expensive to collect for too?
And the SNES, only if you're trying to buy games complete in box.

a1

Postby a1 » July 4th, 2013, 8:38 pm

The TG-16 is really expensive for collecting. I bought one at a yard sale for $4 (I was ecstatic), but I only have 4 games, including the two it came with at the yard sale. Why? Because all the classics are pricey. Trying to get most of the decent titles for under $20 is difficult. Now, $20 isn't a lot compared to really rare titles, but compare it to collecting common NES and Genesis games and it is. You can't exactly pile up a decent library on a budget. And trying to get the cd titles is even more ridiculous.

The Saturn has also gotten harder to collect for. Just 8 years ago you could get a Saturn and ten or so classic games for under $100. Now, even titles like Nights and Panzer Dragoon Zwei go for over $20 in good shape. And the price of the rare games is rising, too.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » July 4th, 2013, 9:36 pm

I had a mint CIB popful mail and shining force CD. I honestly couldn't justify keeping them because there was so many amazing games I don't have yet priced $20-$40 for Sega Genesis. So I sold them for $300 and bought up some great Genesis games.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 4th, 2013, 9:45 pm

[QUOTE=pixelated]Isn't the Neo Geo AES pretty expensive to collect for too?
And the SNES, only if you're trying to buy games complete in box.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the Neo Geo AES is absolutely the most expensive console to collect for, at least from what I've heard. The console used is typically $150-300 and then you add in the games which is an arm and a leg for each and you've got yourself a very hard console to collect for.

I honestly forgot about the SNES just because I never collect complete copies for that system, it takes up too much room and they typically get ruined quite easily. I usually just buy the games for that one. Even then, it is getting more expensive to collect for the SNES as well.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » July 5th, 2013, 12:14 am

My rule for collecting CIB is if it has cardboard box I don't want it. Why pay a fortune for a case that will fall apart if you use it. I really don't see the appeal.

Genesis and SMS CIB is awesome. SNES and NES no thanks! I'd rather have a custom made case that will actually protect my games. If I get CIB NES stuff in a bundle I'm always quick to sell it.

a1

Postby a1 » July 5th, 2013, 12:45 am

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]My rule for collecting CIB is if it has cardboard box I don't want it. Why pay a fortune for a case that will fall apart if you use it. I really don't see the appeal.

Genesis and SMS CIB is awesome. SNES and NES no thanks! I'd rather have a custom made case that will actually protect my games. If I get CIB NES stuff in a bundle I'm always quick to sell it.[/QUOTE]

My rule is if it's a disc, it needs its box. I like Genesis boxes, but the games are cheaper without them. Plus, I have over 50 games and those are big boxes to display. I have a few boxes displayed, but I just keep make sure to keep my cartridges away from dust, and clean them well. My exception is with DS games, because generally those are easy to find with boxes, and the boxes aren't as thick.

Disc based games need boxes though. Even if I would take good care of a game that wasn't in its original case, I don't trust others to do the same, so I don't buy disc games that aren't described as mint. I only have 2 or 3 disc games without the original box and those are $2-$3 sports games from the bargain bin at Gamestop. Plus, boxes for disc-based games take up less space than cartridge boxes (with the exception of Sega Cd and Saturn games).

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » July 5th, 2013, 6:49 am

Among main stream consoles released in the US, the Neo Geo AES is definitely the most expensive system to collect for.  The Virtual Boy is another system whose titles are pricey due to the limited run of the hardware.  For lesser known consoles, the Pioneer LaserActive (31 total games) takes the top prize for systems with 20+ entries.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 5th, 2013, 1:10 pm

I dunno, the VB (if you only collect US games) is really not that hard to collect for. You can buy the system, and all the good games for under $300. That's really not too bad in comparison to other consoles.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » July 5th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Well, I happen to own a modded Neo-Geo and an MVS-AES converter. You'll find that the MVS games are far less expensive than the AES counterparts. So I'd say it's worth it to put a 400 dollar investment into a modded system and a good converter to buy the games cheap. Without it, I couldn't have collected this many titles in the King of Fighters series. I remember the console King of Fighters 99 was over 200 dollars, but the MVS was around 67 dollars. A very reasonable price. The latest one I own (2001) was only 78. Not a bad price for the game. So yeah, if you want Neo-Geo games, get the MVS versions.

Return to “Classic Gaming”