DuckTales Remastered (PSN)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 19th, 2013, 10:59 am

I was hesitant because of some of the ho-hum reviews, but I bought DuckTales Remastered this weekend on PS3 (PSN - download only) and played through it twice. It's an excellent remake and they added a LOT to flesh out the game. Better boss fights and longer levels including a new intro level and a new final level. The art is amazing; the hand-drawn 2D sprites are gorgeous and though I wasn't thrilled about the polygonal, 2.5D backgrounds, they work well and make the levels look amazing. 

Some reviewers griped about the controls, but the hit detection is exactly the same as the original. If you don't pogo directly over an enemies head, you're going to take damage. Default controls are the same as NES DuckTales 2, so you don't have to push down to initiate the pogo cane (but you can change it to the original controls if you want). The original music was always a highlight of the NES game and the new arrangements of the classic tunes are brilliant, including "The Moon" theme.

I have no idea why this game hasn't gotten better reviews. One legitimate gripe is the story. It's not that the story itself or the voice acting is bad. It's just that the action breaks for the cinematics ALL THE TIME. It's quite annoying. And when you go back and play a level again, you have to sit through the same cinematics again. Luckily, you skip them over them by pressing start and selecting "skip cinematic" but you have to do it every time. I'm hoping Capcom will patch the game and allow you to turn all of them off in the future. 

For those who liked the original game, get it. It's awesome. If you remember the original game well, it's still pretty easy (I played through both times on Normal) but new gamers will find a decent challenge.

Note:  My kids are both under 5 and they loved watching me play this.  They'd giggle like crazy watching Scrooge dive into his money bin (it's an option in the main hub).  Unfortunately, those who are planning on purchasing it for 360 or PC will have to wait another month to play this.  Those who have a PS3 should pick it up NOW if you loved the original game.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » August 20th, 2013, 2:14 am

Nice to see someone like this game. I have seen a lot of poor reviews so I kind of chucked the game out of my mind but this has made me want to give it a chance. I wish there was a physical version though...

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » August 20th, 2013, 3:54 am

I've read several reviews from mainstream outlets and it seems the main points that tend to drag it down are criticism that the gameplay is too much like the original and the difficulty is too high.

So if you want something that plays like the original and is difficult like a proper platformer should be, these reviews are actually telling you that it's for you. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » August 20th, 2013, 10:10 am

Its amusing that modern reviewers think this game is 'too hard' NES Ducktales is hardly a challenging game, and they have made concessions in the is game to make it far easier. This is coming form someone who is hardly a classic gaming expert, or an arcade whiz.

I knew the cutscenes were going to negatively affect this game - I will not buy it on my wii U unless they patch that....I have had some heated exchanges on miiverse due to this, but I stand by my asseritons.

Look Wayforward, you tried to appease the cinema game reviewers with your cartoon, and they STILL find it too hard. NOW you have alienated both sides with this game.....

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » August 20th, 2013, 12:40 pm

I got it on Wii U. Pretty cool remake. As good as Ducktales and Ducktales 2 on the NES? Not quite, but fun in it's own way. Surely it deserves credit for sticking to the source material. But unlike Pac-Man arrangement (Arcade) it doesn't make itself BETTER than the original. Oh well. Fun game.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 25th, 2013, 10:57 pm

I bought Duck Tales Remastered today on the Wii U.  It's a great game but it locked up on me twice within three hours.  

I'd stay away from the Wii U version and pick it up on something a bit more stable.  It's still fun but annoying as heck when it locks up right after you complete a level.  At least they're quick levels to replay through but it is still annoying.

As for the cut scenes they can be skipped quickly by pressing the start button.  What nags on me is the locking up side of things.  Pass on the Wii U version assuming the 360 or PS3 version is more stable.

a1

Postby a1 » August 25th, 2013, 11:19 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]I bought Duck Tales Remastered today on the Wii U.  It's a great game but it locked up on me twice within three hours.  

I'd stay away from the Wii U version and pick it up on something a bit more stable.  It's still fun but annoying as heck when it locks up right after you complete a level.  At least they're quick levels to replay through but it is still annoying.

As for the cut scenes they can be skipped quickly by pressing the start button.  What nags on me is the locking up side of things.  Pass on the Wii U version assuming the 360 or PS3 version is more stable.[/QUOTE]

I've logged a solid 3 hours on the wii u version and haven't had that issue yet, so I'm not sure that's universal.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 26th, 2013, 5:11 pm

[QUOTE=a]
I've logged a solid 3 hours on the wii u version and haven't had that issue yet, so I'm not sure that's universal.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know.  Oh, there's a copy of Duck Tales Remastered at Target for the PS3.  I was surprised as heck to see an actual disk copy of it.

The only problem was that it was a case for the game minus the disk and contains a collectible pin with a download code for a digital copy of the game.  Weird, huh?

It's still a fun game regardless of the lock-ups.  Although, at twice in 3 hours for me that places it in the buggier than Oblivion/Fallout category which is pretty odd (at least to me).

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » August 28th, 2013, 8:24 am

I'm sorry to hear that the Wii U version is so unstable.  It's really cool that you can play the entire game on the pad, though.  I'd love to have a mobile version of it; it would be perfect on the Vita.  I've spent a lot of time with the game on PS3 and it hasn't locked up or frozen the system once.  I've played through the entire game about 4 times now (mostly because my kids love to hear the fun music and see the great animation) and I truly think it's one of my favorite games of the year.  It has plenty of problems, mostly an over-indulgent story that you have to individually skip every time a cutscene interrupts the action (which is far too often), but without the story, it's really the perfect remake of NES Duck Tales.  And NES Duck Tales has always been one of my favorite games of all time, so this remake hit all the sweet spots for me.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 18th, 2013, 6:43 pm

This is being released on the Wii U, Xbox 360, and Playstation 3 for $20 at retail on November 12th. [smile]

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/18/ducktales-remastered-coming-to-shelves-this-fall

Return to “Now Playing”