Screenshots representing each system

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2013, 5:35 pm

So I've decided to go back and include a screenshot in each system review in addition to the top 20 video.

So now the question is, what screenshot is most representative for each system?
I thought it might be fun to open this up to your suggestions.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » September 26th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Do you mean a screenshot of a game to represent the system that game is from?  I think that's what you're asking.

Hmmm....

PS3 - I'd go Uncharted 2.  Drake is (or at least has been) the face of the PS3 since the game came out in 2009.  Seems like a logical choice.

360 - I'd probably go Gears or Gears 2.  Halo 3/4 may be the choice for some, but it makes more sense to include a series that started this generation.

Wii - Definitely Super Mario Galaxy.  It's an iconic representation of the good aspects of the Wii.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 26th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Does it just have to be one screen shot? For several systems, I think at least three would be better.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Let's stick with one for now.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » September 26th, 2013, 11:15 pm

It's really hard choosing just one game, so I tried to give explanations:

Atari VCS - Space Invaders (one of the most iconic games of all time, and a fantastic port of the arcade version, unlike Pac-Man)
ColecoVision - Donkey Kong (licensed arcade hit from Nintendo, nearly arcade perfect)
NES - Super Mario Bros. 3 (represents the SMB series on NES, for 20 years was the highest selling game of all time, perhaps the greatest platformer ever made)
Sega Master System - Shinobi (faithful arcade port by Sega, representative of the arcade nature of most of the SMS titles from Sega due to lack of third parties)
Sega Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog (represents the first real challenge to Nintendo, "blast processing," and that Sega/90s 'tude)
TurboGrafx-16 - Blazing Lazers (great shooter, representative of the library on TG-16)
SNES - Super Mario World (might be even better than SMB 3)
Sega Saturn - Marvel vs. Capcom (representative of the 2D prowess of Saturn compared to contemporaries with this nearly perfect 2D port)
Sony PlayStation - Metal Gear Solid (representative of the 3D and multimedia storytelling push on PlayStation)
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64 (true 3D platformer and adventure game, with the first true 3D world)
Sega Dreamcast - Space Channel 5 (representative of the fun, quirky nature of many Dreamcast games)
Sony PlayStation 2 - Grand Theft Auto III (the genesis of the colossal GTA franchise that we know today)
Xbox - Halo 2 (modern analog stick FPS, regenerating health, limited weapons, online play, edges out the original because of Xbox Live)
GameCube - Super Smash Brothers Melee (representative of the great games Nintendo made for its own platform)
Xbox 360 - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (dethroned the Halo series for console shooters, made the Call of Duty franchise the biggest in gaming, indicative of the FPS genre near strangehold on Xbox 360)
Nintendo Wii - Wii Sports (elegantly demonstrated to casual soccer moms and grandmas why motion controls are fun)
Sony PlayStation 3 - Uncharted 2 (action adventure perfectly tailored to PS3's hardware strengths, emphasizing detailed scripted sequences)

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 27th, 2013, 2:32 am

This is a cool idea. Here are some of my ideas:

Atari 2600- Space Invaders- same as above
Colecovision- Donkey Kong- Showed what the Coleco could do better then any other console at the time.
NES- Super Mario Bros- the original game basically paved the way for Nintendo to recreate the video game market after the crash.
SMS- I'd agree with Shinobi on this one. It was the first game I thought of when I tried to come up with one for the SMS.
T16/CD/Duo- Blazing Lasers or Super Star Solider- Both were great examples of the most popular genre of games on the T16. I would say Bonk but the T16 didn't have a ton of platformers compared to Shumps. Maybe Super Air Zonk? That way it covers both genres? Bonk did kind of become the mascot for the T16.
SNES- Super Mario World or Final Fantasy 3(VI)- Both represent genres that were very popular on the console. Maybe even Mario RPG since it covers both genres again.
Genesis- Sonic- This shouldn't even be an argument. No other Genesis game explains the console better.
Virtua Boy- Mario Tennis- Standard game for the VB.
Saturn- Street Fighter Alpha 2 or Radiant Silvergun- Both cover genres very popular with the consoles. Both are considered stand out titles for the console.
PS1- Metal Gear Solid- obvious...
N64- Super Mario 64- This game showed how 3D games were done. I was thinking Goldeneye but N64 was all about jumping into the realm of 3D and Mario did it first and was probably the most popular.
Dreamcast- Sonic Adventure or Shenmue- I think Sonic Adventure showed how next gen games could push platformers further while I think Shenmue showed how advanced games could get. The Dreamcast was all about pushing boundaries and I think Shenmue covers this (whether you liked the game or not).
PS2- Grand Theft Auto III- No contest.
Xbox- Halo- The original showed how FPS were done and showed a genre that the original Xbox really started to popularize.
NGC- Super Smash Bros Melee- I thought about this one a lot and since there were no real amazing Mario platformers games this time (IMO) I think Super Smash Bros really showed what the NGC excelled at, 4 player gaming.
360- Call of Duty- This genre has really became the standard for FPS's everywhere and perfectly showcases one of the most popular genre's this generation.
PS3- Uncharted 2- No doubt.
Wii- Wii Sports. I was originally thinking Super Mario Galaxy 2 but the Wii was more about the pick up and play feel as well as appealing to casual gamers, so Wii Sports fits perfectly.

I did my list first and then looked at gentlegamer, I was surprised by the results, lol.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » September 27th, 2013, 6:28 am

7800 should be Midnight Mutants (as it best represents what was possible in a game there), or one of Bob's homebrews, as Bob is well on his way to being the provider of the bulk of the entire library.  

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » September 27th, 2013, 7:24 am

Something to consider is wheter the screenshots should perhaps be of launch games?

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » September 27th, 2013, 10:43 am

Save choices are the most obvious (though not always the best):

Atari 2600 - Pitfall!
Odyssey2 - K.C. Munchkin
Intellivision - Atlantis
ColecoVision - Donkey Kong
Commodore 64 - The Last Ninja
Atari 5200 - Ms. Pac-Man
NES - Super Mario Bros. 1
Master System - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Atari 7800 - Ninja Golf
Atari XEGS - Archon
TurboGrafx-16 - Keith Courage
Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog 1
Neo Geo - Samurai Showdown
Super Nintendo - Super Mario World
CD-i - One of those nasty Zelda games
Sega CD - Sonic CD
3DO - Gex
Atari Jaguar - Tempest 2000
Sega 32X - Virtua Racing Deluxe
Sega Saturn - Virtua Fighter 2
Sony PlayStation - Tekken
Virtual Boy - Mario's Tennis
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64
Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure
PlayStation 2 - God of War
Xbox - Halo
GameCube - Zelda: Wind Waker
Xbox 360 - Gears of War 1
Wii - Wii Sports
PlayStation 3 - Uncharted

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 27th, 2013, 5:00 pm

This is great feedback - you guys are doing all the work for me!

In addition, Mark Jewell is providing me with some additional graphics for the system review pages.

Return to “Video Games General”