Soundtrack CDs

General and high profile video game topics.
Den1

Soundtrack CDs

Postby Den1 » October 1st, 2013, 11:05 pm

I have the official soundtracks to three DDR games that I ordered from Japan.  I also have about 3g worth of video-game music on my hard drive, about half from official soundtracks and half remixes.

I was in Japan in 2008 and noticed a lot of the record stores have special sections or even entire floors dedicated to game soundtracks.  Must be nice.

darkrage61

Soundtrack CDs

Postby darkrage61 » October 1st, 2013, 11:37 pm

Steve-Ah yes, great band.  Didn't even realize they were in GTA V, what station were they on?  I mainly listened to Los Santos Rock Radio, West Coast Classics, Radio Los Santos, Non Stop Pop, Channel X and Space 103, didn't really listen to the other stations much.

kew9820001

Soundtrack CDs

Postby kew9820001 » October 2nd, 2013, 5:58 pm

Does anyone remember the Killer Instinct: Killer Kuts CD that came free in the game for the SNES? That was a pretty good album imo. Listening to it today brings back sooo many good memories of the times I would have a bunch of friends over for Killer Instinct tournaments. Ahhh the good ol days.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Soundtrack CDs

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2013, 10:12 pm

[QUOTE=kew982000]Does anyone remember the Killer Instinct: Killer Kuts CD that came free in the game for the SNES? That was a pretty good album imo. Listening to it today brings back sooo many good memories of the times I would have a bunch of friends over for Killer Instinct tournaments. Ahhh the good ol days.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was good, but not as good as the Mortal Kombat soundtrack.  Of course, that was a soundtrack based on a movie that was based on a video game, but close enough.  You can still hear that Mortal Kombat theme played at college basketball games.

Captain_Crunch1

Soundtrack CDs

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » October 3rd, 2013, 3:36 am

Yuzo Koshiro Best Selection, Vol. 7 (Streets of Rage II Original Soundtrack) (available in iTunes) - some of the best gaming music ever!

Irenicus1

Soundtrack CDs

Postby Irenicus1 » October 3rd, 2013, 11:08 pm

I usually don't notice the music unless its really bad or really good. When I was a kid I'd play my NES on mute while I listened to the radio. I remember playing Super Mario Bros. 3 for hours while listening to Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Still today if I know the music isn't essential to the game I'll listen to cds or watch tv while I play.  

darkrage61

Soundtrack CDs

Postby darkrage61 » October 4th, 2013, 2:46 am

Irenicus-There are some games where the music fades into the background for me, but I could never really play games and watch tv/listen to CDs at the same time as I find that far too distracting for me to be able enjoy either one.

The 360(as well as the original Xbox) actually lets you make your own custom soundtrack for games, though i've never really tried it out for myself, would be cool to put something like say Godsmack or Saliva in a COD game, maybe i'll try that out one day if I get bored enough.

velcrozombie1

Soundtrack CDs

Postby velcrozombie1 » October 4th, 2013, 9:20 am

The only soundtrack CD that I own is the CD that came with my
copy of Deathsmiles. I do have digital copies of the Hotline Miami
soundtrack, the first three Silent Hill games and Castlevania: Symphony
of the Night. I also have hundreds of mp3s of various NES music,
usually from Konami or Capcom games. I would love to get the
soundtracks for the Streets of Rage games.

@ Irenicus

As a child playing NES games, I would sometimes simply turn the
sound off. Not to listen to the radio (I didn't really get into music
until I was about 11 or so), but to simply play in silence. It depended
on the game, but I was very sensitive to anything scary or intense
back then; for instance, I would usually play Ninja Gaiden in silence because,
despite me liking the cool level music, I had a hard time dealing with
the music they would play every time you died. I remember playing Kung-Fu
and getting to the end of the second level for the first time. It played a
short cutscene of the main character and his kidnapped girlfriend, with the
only sound being Mr. X laughing at you; so badly did it freak me out that I
turned the game off.

I can't imagine playing most games without the soundtrack now. Way too much
of the mood and atmosphere of a game is wrapped up in both the soundtrack
itself and in both the environmental sound and the sounds your own character makes.
Also, it would be a waste of the surround-sound system I bought a few years ago.
The only time I turn the sound down now and play other music or podcasts is
when I practice fighting games or play a sports game with a friend.

darkrage61

Soundtrack CDs

Postby darkrage61 » October 4th, 2013, 12:03 pm

I remember sometimes playing with the sound off or really low on my Nomad in order to make the batteries last as long as possible.

Irenicus1

Soundtrack CDs

Postby Irenicus1 » October 4th, 2013, 11:37 pm

velcrozombie -  I laughed out loud after reading you had to turn off Kung Fu. I admit Mr. X's laugh was intimidating. I started playing games on the Intellevision. I can't recall anything scaring me. I do remember the awesome suspense in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. You could hear the dragon roaring nearby as you crept towards him. I also loved the music in Snafu. I remember leaving that game on while my mom made me clean my room. I also like listening to Frog Bog at night when the game itself was on the night mode.

Return to “Video Games General”