Lack of Good New Games!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 16th, 2013, 7:20 pm

It just occurred to me there aren't a lot of good games out this holiday season.  Normally I have an extensive list of "must have" games I want to get for the holidays, but this year??

I bought three games for my PS4 (Knack, Black Flag, Killzone) mainly because I needed something to play on my new system.  Normally I would not have bought any of these at full price.

It's no better with the Xbox One - I really don't see a good reason to buy that system at this time.

I've been playing some of the high profile games for the Wii U: Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World.  Not exactly setting my world on fire.  Maybe the new 3D Mario will be good?

It just seems to me that there's a lack of heavy hitters this year, which makes it a little hard to get excited about the modern gaming scene.

What do you think?

Segatarious1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Segatarious1 » November 16th, 2013, 7:26 pm

Wii Sports and Wii Fit have been great fun.

Mario U and Zelda 3DS are on the horizon.

I'm good.

NewModelArmy1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 16th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Well for me there are plenty of games. But that is because I just don't have the time to play like I used to. However, if you think the holiday season is lacking it may be due to the fact that this is a transition phase, being that the new systems are being launched. The company I am most disappointed with is Nintendo. They have a year's head start but the Wii U's line up may be the weakest of them all. Also,excluding Zelda, the 3ds doesn't have much to offer. I really want to buy a Wii U but there just is no reason to rush out and buy one.

Weekend_Warrior1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 16th, 2013, 8:24 pm

Yeah, I'm with ya. That's why I wasn't real excited about the PS4 launch - nothing new and interesting to wet my appetite other than the new Killzone. Need For Speed Rivals comes out this week though, and I've heard comparisons to Hot Pursuit. So I think that's a good thing. Although I admit I don't know if they're talking about the older Hot Pursuit (PS1, PS2, NGC, oXbox) games or the current gen one (PS3, 360).  

I am interested in the new Killer Instinct game on X-One though. I've been waiting for a new KI since the days of Killer Instinct Gold on the N64. So having this available as a launch title, with a port of the original arcade (with online I'm assuming/hoping) is quite appealing to me. However, the price of the X-One is not so appealing. Especially when it includes that stupid mandatory camera that I don't want.  

darkrage61

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby darkrage61 » November 16th, 2013, 8:28 pm

I've noticed that too, I've already bought all the new releases that looked good to me, while I did enjoy Battlefield 4, Sonic Lost Worlds (the 3DS version, which you might like more) and COD:Ghosts, last year's holiday season had a more impressive selection, the only must-have title coming out next year that I can think of is Watchdogs. 

There's a few nice looking Xbox One launch titles like Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Crimson Dragon, but those aren't enough to justify me buying the system just yet.

Atarifever1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Atarifever1 » November 16th, 2013, 9:50 pm

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]. Also,excluding Zelda, the 3ds doesn't have much to offer. [/QUOTE]
I agree with everything else you said, except this.  Right now I think the 3DS is the best selling hardware for good reason.  It is the only "new" system that has a consistent slate of new games to be excited for all the time.  If you're into Zelda (and that comment makes it seem likely you are), you probably also like other Japanese adventure and role-playing games, which the system is buried under.  And the eShop is actually worth a look.  And they are finally (finally) doing the right kind of sales on there.  Good, cheap Virtual Console sales of actual great Nintendo franchises.  Right now they're having a Zelda sale.  Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2 are actually on for $3.49 each, and Link's Awakening is $3.99.  Not world shattering, but Nintendo being willing to put three Zelda game downloads at less than $4 each, and two for less than even $3.50 is really big for them.  I'm excited that next week is a Megaman sale, since they have all of 1-6 on the eShop.  

Edward1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Edward1 » November 16th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I'd be ok with a lack of good new games.  There's still "must have" games from last year I haven't played. I almost wish I could freeze time to catch up on games like XCom, the Last of us, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, etc.  Also, I don't even have a Wii U yet, so there is even more!

Gentlegamer1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Gentlegamer1 » November 16th, 2013, 10:36 pm

This is where being "behind" and a retro gamer comes in handy. I *just* got PS3, and now I'm swimming in great new (to me) games! [biggrin]

Not to mention, I've picked up my retro collecting with a stack of NES and SMS carts recently, so I'm covered there, too.

NewModelArmy1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 16th, 2013, 11:20 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=NewModelArmy]. Also,excluding Zelda, the 3ds doesn't have much to offer. [/QUOTE]
I agree with everything else you said, except this.  Right now I think the 3DS is the best selling hardware for good reason.  It is the only "new" system that has a consistent slate of new games to be excited for all the time.  If you're into Zelda (and that comment makes it seem likely you are), you probably also like other Japanese adventure and role-playing games, which the system is buried under.  And the eShop is actually worth a look.  And they are finally (finally) doing the right kind of sales on there.  Good, cheap Virtual Console sales of actual great Nintendo franchises.  Right now they're having a Zelda sale.  Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2 are actually on for $3.49 each, and Link's Awakening is $3.99.  Not world shattering, but Nintendo being willing to put three Zelda game downloads at less than $4 each, and two for less than even $3.50 is really big for them.  I'm excited that next week is a Megaman sale, since they have all of 1-6 on the eShop.  [/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. I like the 3ds. Honestly I cannot understand why it is selling so well, at least in the US. There are good games to be sure but I still feel the game library is still small. In terms of the EShop I think it is just a complete mess to navigate. Whoever designed it must hate gamers. It's so bad I do not even bother checking oi out. In terms of Zelda I am actually not a huge fan but this one, based on what I have read, appeals to me. Looking forward to it.

Return to “Video Games General”