Whats the point of video game fanboyisms?

General and high profile video game topics.
Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 17th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Steer beat me to it, I suppose you typed that too fast. If you truly feel that way, do something about it.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 17th, 2013, 7:04 pm

I was slightly exaggerating about that, people like that still truly disgust me though. 

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » November 18th, 2013, 12:41 am

It's all fake toughness to inflate low self-esteem. These people don't know how to deal with their own insecurities so they cut others down to feel better about themselves. And as Josh pointed out, the anonymity of it all makes it worse because there are no repercussions and they can say whatever stupid crap they want.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 18th, 2013, 10:57 am

My favourite piece of fanboyism lately was in the comments on IGN after the Windwaker HD review.  Both types of fanboy were there embarrassing themselves. 

My favourite anti-Nintendo fanboy response was when someone posted a screenshot of the GTA 5 review (a 10 out of 10) and said it proved Nintendo couldn't measure up (Windwaker HD got a 9.8).  The argument is so silly I'm still laughing.  Yes, clearly the company that made the remake game of a fantasy story about an elf boy fighting in an enchanted ocean can't measure up to the other company making a semi-realistic, ultra violent take down on middle America, because one of those games got 2% less out of 100, according to one review score.  Better stop playing fantasy ocean adventure and play gang game, even if you don't want to, because 2%.  On the other hand, if you were stoked about GTA V before, imagine how relieved you would be to find out you made the "right" choice of playing it because of that 2 percent.  Man, imagine how much worse it would have been if it had gotten 97 percent.  It'd be worse than Zelda and you'd be a moron to play it. 

And on the other side, there were Ninendo fanboys claiming IGN was "teh bias" because they "only" gave Windwaker a 98%.  Only.  98%  For a remake of a decade old game.  Ninty-eight.  Out of 100.  Two percent off perfect a decade later.  And that was proof of bias against?  Yeah.  98 percent is pretty freaking good.

Now, as for the people comparing this kind of idiocy to cheering for sports teams, I kind of take the point.  But Toronto Argonaut fans are just worse people than Hamilton Tiger Cat fans.  I mean, aside from yesterday's game making that obvious on the field and in the stands, there's this:
http://o.canada.com/news/ford-causes-a-scene-at-argos-game-despite-being-asked-to-stay-away/

So, you know, sometimes things are just true. 

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 18th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Fanboys, where do I start?

PC-Console snafus are the worst, often they tangent into contrived ageism regarding SOFTWARE of all things.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » November 18th, 2013, 12:42 pm

I guess everyone wants to be on a "team." Better yet, "prove" to everyone that you're on the "right" team!

Also, like many said, I'm guessing that people who are "outspoken, aggressive fanboys" have low self esteem.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 18th, 2013, 1:50 pm

A lot of these "fanboys" that you all are complaining about in comment sections on websites, are probably between the ages of 8 - 16 years old. And most of the time, it's just them trolling for attention or a mindless debate. 

Believe me, it's nothing to get upset about.

Return to “Video Games General”